Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Vancouver International Marathon Society
Total Time = 4h 45m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and drove to the maple ridge to pick up a friend.
Event warmup:

Walked around looking for Leah and Dep and Haz but could not find them.
Maybe next time, I should bring my phone....doh.
Run
  • 00m
  • 42.2 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

This is what I am calling how not to do a Marathon 101...by Crazypop
First: respect. RESPECT the distance. Its not just a Marathon it IS A MARATHON...not something that happens after I swim and bike.
Second: Race your own Race. Don't find somebody and just run with them and not run walk like your training.
Third Train: Don't think that you have enough just to push through the race. 2 2 hour runs don't cut it.
Now for some race reports that I was asked to do.

Started pretty good. Nice pace was doing well, but was talking way to much and not watching the time and not stopping with the rr instead I just kept pounding through. I wanted to get on the 430 pace bunny and just hang with them but didn't. So when we passed the 4 hour pace bunny, I decided that maybe I was going to fast and should start walk running. Unfortunatly it was neer the start of the stanly park seawall. STUPID DAN. Right about here I started noticing my abs were killing me. Right across my hips. But that was ok. I made the half at 204 so I was 11 mins faster than I wanted to be and I was tired. At 26k my feet started to get sore but figure that would go away. Stopped a medical for some lube since I forgot to do it in the morning. Was still in good spirits at 32 k and 20 miles but was really struggling. Then at 34k I was done. Running was just a little bit more than walking so I was walking with long strides to try and stretch out the hipflexors and abs cause it was like knives into my hips. My knee was really bothering me and coming down hill was like somebody hitting me in the knees with a baseball bat...(best godfather voice...you always got to respect the distance) Then coming down to the last little hill under the bridge and to the finish. I almost pulled the pin. I was in soo much pain I almost passed out. But I walked through it and got some water from the aid station. Coming into the finish there was a girl dressed up as a chicken...so I ran as hard as I could to pass her and kept her off of me. YEAH I BEAT CHICKEN GIRL!!!
Got my medal...found out there was NO FINISHING SHIRT (rip off) and headed to medical for a bag of ice for my knee. Triage was asking me a million questions at the beginning in rapid succesion. So I looked at them and said " you do realize I just finished 42 k right?" That shut them up..:)
Seen the walking dead as they start puking and falling over...poor people. Got treated by a very attractive md. Got out of medical and walked over to get my crappy finishing pic...not a good setup! Picked up some food and then phoned Leah as I got my phone in the car. THEY LEFT ME(due to me not letting them know I was there)!! but I had my work friends there and we headded to earls to eat the BEST burger ever.
Picked up my new forks...they look great. Drove back to Chilliwack to have a shower and sleep finally.
What would you do differently?:

TRAIN!
Oh probably don't go for a 70k bike ride the day before.
Post race
Event comments:

RESPECT THE DISTANCE!!!

Last updated: 2008-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 42.2 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-04 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: Vancouver Marathon

2009-05-04 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2128380

User image

Subject: RE: Vancouver Marathon

No finisher's shirt? That blows. They'd better send you one in the mail!

Good on you for not pulling the pin. Congrats!

2009-05-04 8:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-04 9:42 PM

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Congrats on the finish, but the big thing is you finished....

Do they still mail out a finishers Certificate?

2009-05-04 11:08 PM

Expert
Burnaby, BC

Congrats!  At least you beat chicken girl!  Everytime I saw her shirt "Cages are cruel" I thought "That's right, nobody should be forced to drive a car." and then I saw the hat.

And what's with BT, that's 3 of us that ran within 5 minutes of each other!

2009-05-05 1:57 AM

Master
Port Moody, BC

Alls well that ends well bud, getting treated by a hottie is a good way to end up, the burger is a nice touch too. Good job on getting though, I did see you a bunch of times but seriously, you were running next to a freak dressed as a chicken. I wasn't about to say I knew you!!! Great job crazy, just say NO to 70 K the day before!!!

2009-05-05 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2130066

Master
Chilliwack, BC

DrLeah - 2009-05-04 6:18 PM

dude, seriously.

Why did I even bother telling you I'd turn my phone on when I was leaving the house if you don't even bother to TAKE YOURS WITH YOU. 

I would have stuck around.....

And there hasn't been a finishers shirt since 2007.  I felt totally ripped off last year too.

My mistake...that was not meant to be like that. I just re read..Sorry. 

Supposed to have been in red Italics.

2009-05-05 8:59 AM

Extreme Veteran

Way to hang in there!  It sounds like you, me and Rob should have started running, a bit slower, and together.  (I finished in 4:40 and suffered in the last third also).  Nevertheless, you finished and no one can take that away from you!

Did you see the guy running barefoot?

Enjoy your recovery!

Tracy

2009-05-05 9:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-05 11:02 AM

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Good work Dan, hanging on like that to finish! You'll be able to nail it next time, eh?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver Marathon Rss Feed