General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm moving to NYC! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-04 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: I'm moving to NYC!
I'm moving to Manhattan! Soon, this will be my official home forum! So...anyone have any experience with movers in NYC? It's only a one bedroom to one bedroom move from Jersey, not a lot of stuff, but the bf has already put his foot down that we're not doing the move on our own (wait for it: 5th floor walk up). BUT I got an *insanely* high quote from one company (close to $1,000), and almost had a heart attack. Any suggestions? I've heard people say it cost them closer to $400 for a similar move to NYC.

My other idea is to rent a truck, pack everything myself and then hire two guys to carry everything upstairs. Has anyone ever done that?

Thanks for any and all advice!

2009-05-04 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2130083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: I'm moving to NYC!

i've used moishe's and flat rate.  Both aren't that great..  Some how moishe's lost some luggage (with clothes in it) and expensive wine and flat rate broke a few things..  If you don't have too much, try moving yourself with the help of friends... maybe other people have some recommendations but i would avoid the ones i mentioned..

2009-05-05 6:52 AM

User image

Regular
Saratoga Springs, NY
swishyskirt - 2009-05-04 9:28 PM. My other idea is to rent a truck, pack everything myself and then hire two guys to carry everything upstairs. Has anyone ever done that?

I moved an ex-gf into a third (or fourth - I can't remember) floor walk up on the upper west side using a similar technique only the two guys were me and her brother and our price was "free". It certainly worked but I don't know that I would recommend it.  Just parking the truck to unload it was a PITA and then we needed to have someone down there to keep an eye on it.  Better not to leave a truck containing all of your posessions wide open on a street with heavy foot traffic. And since we crashed at his place in the city, we had to park the truck over night and wound up with a ticket because the spot we found apparently wasn't intended for trucks.

Nonethless, the actual moving of items up the stairs is the real headache (and if it is raining, danger - those nice stone stairways are like ice when wet) so any strategy that allows you avoid that is heading in the right direction.
2009-05-05 9:57 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
I'm in a 4th floor walkup.  I partially moved myself in here, and after that I will never move myself again!!  Trust me on this one, get movers...you'll thank yourself later.  For my last move I used Flat Rate and had a great experience....they showed up on time, had everything moved faster than expected, no damage to anything, no lost items.  Good luck and welcome (almost) to NY!!
2013-08-18 2:08 AM
in reply to: 0

Hi, If you need NYC moovers you can use this web page seamensmoving.com on this page you can get free moving quote. This is specialize in residential moving, commercial moving, and international moving services.

Edited by ramukandel 2013-08-18 2:10 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm moving to NYC! Rss Feed