General Discussion Triathlon Talk » old road bike, new tri bike - HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-05 3:43 PM

User image

Subject: old road bike, new tri bike - HIM
last year i got a 2007 trek 1600 as my first road bike, i've ridden around 2k miles on it.  last saturday i broke down and got a 2008 quintana roo caliente, my first tri bike.  saturday and sunday were my first rides on a tri bike, after the initial awkwardness and inability to use bar shifters i began to get used to it, though i'm still not sure how people can climb on those things.  the aero position feels very strange to me, and i don't feel like i'm generating much power.  my back (herniated l4-l5) feels about the same painwise after rides, but it feels like i'm straining it more on the tri bike. 

i'd really like to race the tri bike for the florida HIM next sunday, but i don't know if it'd be a good idea or not.  i've gotten 2 rides totalling about 75 miles on it so far, and will hopefully get another 75 in this weekend.  FL is pretty flat, so i feel like the tri bike would be more efficient.  think it'd be smart to use it for the race after only riding it 4-5 times beforehand?

2009-05-05 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2132268

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: old road bike, new tri bike - HIM
darbaugh - 2009-05-05 3:43 PM

last year i got a 2007 trek 1600 as my first road bike, i've ridden around 2k miles on it.  last saturday i broke down and got a 2008 quintana roo caliente, my first tri bike.  saturday and sunday were my first rides on a tri bike, after the initial awkwardness and inability to use bar shifters i began to get used to it, though i'm still not sure how people can climb on those things.  the aero position feels very strange to me, and i don't feel like i'm generating much power.  my back (herniated l4-l5) feels about the same painwise after rides, but it feels like i'm straining it more on the tri bike. 

i'd really like to race the tri bike for the florida HIM next sunday, but i don't know if it'd be a good idea or not.  i've gotten 2 rides totalling about 75 miles on it so far, and will hopefully get another 75 in this weekend.  FL is pretty flat, so i feel like the tri bike would be more efficient.  think it'd be smart to use it for the race after only riding it 4-5 times beforehand?

I wouldn't use a tri bike after 2 weeks of riding. A tri/tt bike, while a better choice for Florida (I live in Florida and used a tri/tt bike for my HIM last month in Florida) is not a good choice for someone who is not used to the aero position, not to mention with a herniated disk. Go with the trek, but add some clip on aero bars for the Florida HIM. Start doing more practice rides with the tri bike.
2009-05-05 4:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
Stick with what you have been riding on.  The course is pretty flat, but your already experiencing pain on the new bike, your body has to get used to it.  I would also recommend getting a proper fit with your new bike, if you haven't already.
2009-05-05 4:24 PM

User image

i figured i'd get those responses....but i feel so much cooler on the qr!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » old road bike, new tri bike - HIM Rss Feed