General Discussion Triathlon Talk » soy vs whey protein powder Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-05 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
state of denial
Subject: soy vs whey protein powder
does anyone have an opinion or any comment on these???

2009-05-06 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2133004

Subject: RE: soy vs whey protein powder

Last year, I followed Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet for about six months.  In the spirit of removing dairy from the diet and avoiding soy, I started supplementing with egg protein powder.

Many nutritional sites state things similar to this about egg protein powder:

"Egg protein is made from the egg white and is therefore fat-free and high in protein. It is considered the most perfect source of protein because it is complete in essential amino acids, branch chain amino acids and glutamic acid. It is completely and easily absorbed by the body. Because of its characteristics, egg protein is used as the standard against which all other proteins are measured. Egg protein should not be used by anyone who has an egg allergy.

Benefits of egg protein:

• Highest in the amino acids alanine, arginine, glycine and methine
  • Fat-free"

Speaking from experience, whey protein powders usually caused some level of gastric discomfort even though a visit to the allergist proved that I am not lactose intolerant.

Soy protein is a different story.  Loren Cordain's research and this article:

http://www.electroherbalism.com/Naturopathy/Therapies/Diet/Soy/NewestResearchonwhyYouShouldAvoidSoy.htm

turned me off soy for good.

2009-05-11 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City
whey protein is more eas absorped than is soy protein.
2009-05-12 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
New York
Get any kind of mix that you would like here

http://www.trueprotein.com/custom_product.aspx

2009-05-12 2:53 PM

User image

Have any of you had stomach problems with whey protein?  I have a protein shake that is whey at home, and I usually do fine with that, but have a box of whey protein bars at work, and the last few times I have eaten them, they give me horrible stomach pains, like can't even sit up straight...
2009-05-14 4:38 PM

User image

Regular
Bay City, MI
Whey is from dairy and as an animal protien is more complete than Soy which is plant based (egg is also more complete). Soy is missing one or two key ammino acids. The down side to whey is that people who are lactose intolerant sometimes have more trouble using whey. EGG is probably the best but is very expensive, whey being second, soy is usually the least expensive.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » soy vs whey protein powder Rss Feed