General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS near Southern Tier, NY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-10 8:56 PM

User image

Subject: OWS near Southern Tier, NY
I am new to triathlon training.  Of all 3 legs I am most concerned with the Swim.  I recently joined a gym and started swimming to perpare for a my first sprint tri.  I would like to get atleast one OWS in before the race in July but am not sure where to do this in upstate NY.  Looking for advice.

2009-05-11 5:47 AM
in reply to: #2142153

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: OWS near Southern Tier, NY
Depends exactly where you're looking. "Upstate NY" and "near the southern tier" are still pretty big areas. Pretty much any lake would be fine, we have plenty of those in NY. Just make sure you're with someone.

Most public beaches will open in June so it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere before race day. If the race is near you, I'd try to swim there in the weeks leading up to it.

2009-05-11 7:29 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-11 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2142463

Thanks for the reply!  I'd be lost without the resources of the website

I live in Binghamton NY but I am willing to travel to get a good OWS.  My wife and I kayak so I plan to have her Kayak near me while I swim.

I am considering the Broome County Triathlon for my 1st tri but I don't think Dorchester allows you to swim outside of the swimming area and I think that is small.

Cayuga Lake is fairly close so I was considering trying there.  Any ideas on a good "launching" point.

Thanks again for the help!
2009-05-12 4:36 AM

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Hey Jamie!

I am in Binghamton as well and do my OWS at Quaker Lake. You're welcome to join me sometime. If you're wife is going to kayak next to you you could probably get in there at the public boat launch. Feel free to contact me and I'll be glad to talk to you about more places to OWS and about triathlon in general. Broome County Tri is a great race for your first tri. It's a hilly bike for a spring but the race is a lot of fun.

There is a group that does OWS at Dorchester on Monday nights. There are lifeguards, a coach and a lot of experienced triathletes that meet up there. You need to be a member of USA Swimming or USMS and there is a $30 fee on top of that to pay for the lifeguard and permits needed. If you are not a member of USA Swimming the fee for the summer is $85. It works out to be a little over $5 per session if you go every Monday from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing from you.

2009-05-13 8:17 PM

Thanks for the response Bob.  I really appreciate it!

I have a few more questions...

I know where Quaker Lake is.  Is it open to the public?

Also for the OWS at Dorchester, what time does it usually start on Mondays?

I also have a question regarding the Broome Tri.  Do the racers typically wear wetsuits?  I currently do not own one and was hoping to get a race or two under my belt before I made the investment.

Do your have any recommendations for building up my swim distances?  When I do 25m or 50m intervals I seem to be able to accumulate 600-800m in a workout without too many issues but when I try to go for 100-200m continuously my form becomes sloppy and I tend to have issues.  I would like to limit my swims during the week to 30 minutes since I can fit that in during my lunch hour without impacting work/family.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

2009-05-14 5:49 AM
in reply to: #2149519

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Jamie,

Quaker is open to the public for fishing and there is a public boat ramp. I swim from a friend's dock when I go and you would be welcome to come up with me. If you went from the boat launch and your wife was kayaking next to you I don't think anyone would say anything to you.

The Dorchester swim starts at 6:00 pm and some people will arrive early and do a run or just hangout until they put the buoys in. It is a measured 500 yd course and there are some of the swimmers that will just go back and forth along the shoreline between the buoys (about 250 yds).

Many do wear wetsuits for Dorchester, I typically ride my bike to the race therefore don't wear mine. You are welcome to use that if it fits you. (I'm 5'9" and 175 lbs)

As far as building endurance in the pool it's just a matter of swimming more. Start with a 5 min straight swim staying very relaxed. Then I would suggest doing a set of 5 or 6 50's doing a drill of two. You can build your endurance by increasing your straight swims gradually. I'll be happy to help you with these as well.

Where do you usually swim?

2009-05-17 8:20 PM

Thank Bob.  I'll give your suggestions a try.  Hopefully I'll get out during my lunch break tomorrow.  This week was sort of a bust because I needed to travel for work and my family spent the w/e in lake placid (I did get some good running and seat time in this w/e though!)  I currently swim at Court Jester in JC.  I only just started swim training a couple of weeks ago.  I definately need to pick up the amount of swim training.

You mentioned drills.  I have been reading a lot about swim training lately.  Are there a couple of drill that you would recommend for beginners?  I also have a small inground pool (30' long) so if there are any extra credit drills you can think of for home it would help me greatly to sneak in some additional workouts at night without impacting family time.

Thanks Again.

2009-05-18 9:31 PM

Master
Dunedin
I agree with Bob...you've got just under 2 months before the Broome County Triathlon (if you do choose to do it) so as long as you're comfortable in water over your head, just start out with short swims and build your endurance from there. I know tons of drills (which will help with technique/efficiency/drag reduction, etc) so let me know if you need anything swim related!
2009-05-19 8:55 PM

Thanks for the input.  I don't think I will be uncomfortable with the water depth.  I have tried a coupe of drills.  It seems like whenever I do drills I loose momentum and start to sink!  I am always open to suggestion on drills for beginners.  I am not too concerned at this point on speed.  Since this is my first tri and event with a swim my goal is to just finish.  So I am most interested in drills that will help me gain endurance/distance in my swims.

A couple of questions...

Since I have only a short time left to prepare what should my goal distance be in my workouts so I will be comfortable in the race?  As of today I am currently at 400y continuous and then 8 x 50y for a total of 800 y.  I think I want to slowly increase the continuous portion of the workout but I would like a goal to drive toward.  I can get 3-4 swim workouts in a week during my lunch hour.

If I choose to do the monday night swims do starting the beginning of June will I need a wetsuit?  I am not sure what the water temp will be.

Thanks again for the help!

2009-05-21 4:56 PM

Hi Jamie,

The OWS at Dorchester is a nice place to get used to swimming in the 'open' water. The coach recommends that you be able to swim at least 500 or 1000 yards. The swim area at Dorchester has a lap lane as well. You should come up on Monday and check it out. Just go to the upper area of the park, you will see a pavillion and people!

The BC Tri was my first tri, hum, my only one so far and I think it was a great race to start. Not a ton of people and everyone was nice. And it is in my back yard, so I got to swim, bike and run the route before the race a few times to get rid of any jitters and feel comfortable. If you ever want to ride it, let me know, I would be more than happy to take you on a tour! Or if you ever need someone to ride with, I am always looking for company.

Jo

2009-05-21 8:57 PM

Thanks Jo!

Does the OWS at Dorchester start this Monday (Memorial Day).  I am also trying to figure out if I will need a wetsuit for the swims in Dorchester in June.  Do you know the length of the swim lane in the Dorchester swim area. 

I would be interested in a bike ride at some point.  All my riding so far this year has been solo.  I have been considering riding in a couple of TVC time trials just to get acclimated to riding in a group prior to a tri.

Thanks Again....

Jamie

Edited by jhoyt1 2009-05-21 8:59 PM
2009-05-22 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2167191

Hi,

The OWS does start this Monday (Memorial Day). I do swim with a wet suit, but I am a wimp. There were people there last year who were swimming with out one. I think it is a personal preferance. 

I am not sure how long the lap lane is. I asked last year and was told it was the same as a pool. (50 yards) Not sure about that though.

See you Monday!

Jo

Oh, as far as riding in a group, I really didn't have to worry about that. The swim protion spreads people out pretty good and there were only about 140-150 people racing. I don't recall any big groups of people. That being said, I was way in the back! I'm not sure how it would be in a race with more people.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS near Southern Tier, NY Rss Feed