General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Padden Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-12 5:32 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Lake Padden Tri
Is anyone doing Lake Padden on June 27th? I understand that the recreational division is almost filled.

http://www.trithecookie.com/pages/lake_padden_triathlon.html

2009-05-12 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2146938

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lake Padden Tri
I'm in again this year. I did the recreational last year and am doing the competitive this year. For anyone on the fence, this race is awesome! It has been my favorite race so far.
2009-05-15 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Snohomish WA
I did the competitive division and thought it was one of the best of the nine races I did last summer. Great run course. The people who put it on make it really fun. Last year there was a tread water contest for a wetsuit. 
2009-05-15 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
i agree - i did it last year too and it is a beautiful course!  lots of fun
2009-05-28 11:51 PM

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
I'm signed up for the recreational tri at Lake Paddon--it will be my very first one!  I'm worried about the bike course; I heard there's a very steep hill!!!  I'm having a hard time getting as much time on my bike as I'd like, especially on hills, so I'm a little concerned!
2009-05-30 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2180142

User image

Veteran
run45 - 2009-05-28 9:51 PM

I'm signed up for the recreational tri at Lake Paddon--it will be my very first one!  I'm worried about the bike course; I heard there's a very steep hill!!!  I'm having a hard time getting as much time on my bike as I'd like, especially on hills, so I'm a little concerned!

Don't worry. You will have a great time doing the recreational tri. The hill that you have heard about is kind of steep, but it doesn't last too long, and last year there were people camped out along it cheering us on. You'll do just fine!

2009-05-30 11:45 PM

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
Yay!  Good to know that there's encouragement on the hill!  Cool
2009-06-06 2:03 AM
in reply to: #2180142

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
run45 - 2009-05-28 11:51 PM

I ride parts of the course (including "the hill") at least once a week. The rec course is really fun and you need not be too worried about it. At the beginning of the course, there is a short incline out of the park. Its safer and a bit easier to just run your bike up it and mount on the road. Take a look at it when you get there and decide if you want to go that route or mount on the incline but if you do make sure you are in a fairly low gear.

You have a nice little downhill to warm up a bit before a rather long gradual climb of about a mile and a half. Stay in a low gear and you will be up and over before you know it. Now the fun part. You are at the highest point of the course and the next 5 or 6 miles are pretty much downhill. Be careful as there are a few spots where you can build up quite a bit of speed.

You then have a fairly steep but very short hill that is about a block long. Than more downhill rollers for a few minutes to catch your breath before "the hill". You cross under the freeway and begin the ascent. After about a block there is a side street where you can take a deep breath or zig zag a bit if you are tired. You can see the top from here and it is only about two blocks away. It is steep but short. As you approach the top you will turn to the left. I usually cheat a bit and start cutting across to the corner a little early so as to kind of traverse the last bit.

The last mile is very gradual uphill that brings you back to the park entrance. Just before you turn into the park. BE VERY CAREFUL. There is a seam between the road and the shoulder. Just stay on the shoulder and do not try to go in the road to round the corner.

It is really a fun event and is a great first race. Good luck with it.

Also, the lake is really warming up. Some people are actually starting to swim without wetsuits now.

Edited by popsracer 2009-06-06 2:11 AM
2009-06-07 4:52 PM

User image

Oak Harbor, WA
I'm in for the competitve distance.  I am headed up to the lake on the morning of the 19th to swim and ride the bike route. 
2009-06-07 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2200461

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
threeladsdad - 2009-06-07 4:52 PM

I'm in for the competitve distance.  I am headed up to the lake on the morning of the 19th to swim and ride the bike route. 

Where are you from? Have you done the race before?
2009-06-08 1:21 PM

User image

Oak Harbor, WA

Oak Harbor and i've never done it.  This is my 2nd season of triathlon and had heard that Lake Padden was a good one to do. 

2009-06-08 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2198678

User image

Lake Stevens, WA

Hi!  Thanks for your description of the bike course!  Even though I already rode it last week on the 4th, it was still interesting to read what you wrote.  I went up with my husband, and first we drove the course, following the map that I printed off the website.  When we got to the Big Hill, my husband said something like, "Oh, for goodness sake--we have to ride up this?" I said sorry, this is the course!  So we continued on and arrived at the Lake Padden West area, parked and prepared to ride.

Heading down Samish Way, I take it easy because I notice my hubby is quite a distance behind me.  After a bit, it also feels like I'm ascending even though the road doesn't look uphill very much.  Finally, hubby catches up (I found out later he was having trouble shifting--his bike is quite new and he's still breaking it in), and we hit a downhill section--yippee!  Then it's across I-5 and a right on Old Samish Highway.  Looking back, this is my favorite part--I love rolling hills!  I got up speed going down and momentum helped carry me up the ascents.  I hit a top speed of 27.5 mph!  But then we hit Chuckanut Drive, and, oops, it's uphill!  Gasp, gasp...I shift down and breathing a bit hard, ride fairly slowly but steadily up until the road finally levels out.  Before the traffic light, I stop for a brief breather, wondering about the next part--a bridge or something.  We elect to ride on the sidewalk and continue until we can get on the bike lane on Fairhaven Parkway.  Heading toward I-5, there's some intersections to negotiate, and I nearly forget about the Big Hill.  On the east side of I-5, I think there's another light/intersection just before the park-and-ride (if I remember correctly), so we're riding slowly. 

Ahead is the Big Hill.  My hubby continues straight and dismounts.  I am also planning to walk the hill, because I am still breathing hard.  I turn into the park-and-ride a little ways, dismount and check my bike computer.  It says I have ridden 10 miles (already!) and my average speed was 15 mph.  I reset it and walk my bike back to the street and up the Hill.  At the top, my computer says .25 miles.  (A quarter of a mile!!!).  My hubby gets back on his bike and turns left to ride up the next uphill part.  I decide to keep walking.  A little chihuahua runs out and follows my hubby, yapping away!  I keep walking and the dog isn't quite as interested in me.  Finally, I decide to get on my bike where the street begins to level off--I have walked about 1/2 mile!  When we get back to our car, my hubby says his computer says 12.3 miles.  Now the recreational tri info claims the bike course is 10 miles.  So we're wondering where we got the extra couple miles.  Any idea? 

Thinking about the Big Hill, it must be close to a 12% grade.  There is a hill like that not too far from my house, but it is probably only one-fourth as long.  Usually, I like to get up speed before a hill and use momentum a little--but that probably is mostly effective on short hills.  I'm thinking about what if I can get up momentum on the course before the Big Hill--but it would mean that the intersection just before the park-and-ride must be open so I don't have to stop for a possible red light or traffic.  Still I would have to be able to shift down enough, and I'm not very good at shifting into the lowest gears, because it means getting the combination of the large and small rings correct, and I just haven't had enough practice with that.  Also, someone told me that I should stand up on my pedals to get up the Hill, and that's something I'm not sure about either--I have clipless or spd pedals--and they're tiny! 

On the bright side, a while after we finished the ride, I went for a swim in the lake in just my "tri suit." I found out that with the warm air that day, that my "tri suit" kept me warm enough that I could tolerate the cold water without bothering with my wetsuit.  In fact, I swam clear across the lake and back, plus drifting to the east a little on the return trip, so I had to cut back to my left to end up where I began (I had my flip-flops waiting on the beach for my poor feet!) SmileSo I hope the 27th is a warm day, too!!! Cool

2009-06-08 1:42 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
If you went to Chuckanut Drive you missed a turn. That is why you registered 12 miles. For the recreational distance, about a half mile BEFORE Chuckanut there is a right hand turn that takes you directly across to the intersection right before the freeway underpass. Only the longer competitive course goes to Chuckanut.
2009-06-08 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2202757

User image

Oak Harbor, WA
Don't worry about standing up your pedals on the uphill.  The SPD may seem small but they will hold as long as they are tensioned up a bit.  I switched to LOOK after riding on my Crank Bros egg beaters and really like the stable platforms but there is nothing wrong with the SPDs

check out this video of a great hill climb and I don't care what Armstrong says, Ulrich had to be devasted mentally after getting "the Look"  You should try this on your next group training ride.  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3vHjnXCe8
2009-06-09 12:15 AM
in reply to: #2202809

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
Subject: RE: Lake Padden Tri - course mistake

Oops! Looking at the course map again, I think I see that right turn I missed.  However, being unfamiliar with the area, it's understandable why we blew right past it.  And the map is not terribly detailed.  I had found the route on MapMyRide, so I guess I should have studied it more, using the satellite images.  Well, it's nice to know I don't have to worry about Chuckanut Drive.  (Although, going to Chuckanut Drive did give us a little extra exercise! Smile)

Thanks again!

2009-06-18 2:14 AM

User image

Anyone know when transition opens for the competitive distance? 

Also, any day of race parking suggestions?

Thanks.

2009-06-18 4:33 PM

User image

Lake Stevens, WA

You should have received an e-mail today with race information.  If you still have questions, as I do, e-mail the race director!

2009-06-18 4:42 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
As run45 stated, an e-mail just went out on some of the specifics and checkin will start around 7:00. As far as parking I posted this last year:

Parking will be tight but available with a bit of a walk if you don't get there early. There are three entries into the park, all on the north side of the lake. Western most off Wilkins St. there will be some parking and there is also a gravel lot (best bet if early). Middle entrance is where transition will be. Eastern most entrance (also entrance for the golf course) has a lot of parking but will put you a mile away from the event. I do not know how much parking will be available on the roads just outside the entrance. Here is a link to a map.

http://www.trithecookie.com/pages/Maps/maps_resolpolar_2006.pdf
2009-06-19 1:20 AM

User image

Thanks for the info. 

I was hesitant to contact the race director as I am sure he is swamped with questions right now.  However, I did not receive the e-mail earlier so it looks like I will be contacting him anyway.

I will be driving up to Bellingham to train on the course (swim x 2, bike x 2, run x .5) on Saturday.  I'll be the one in the Xterra wetsuit and silver swim cap or with the white/blue Trek 2.1T.  

Good luck to everyone next weekend!
2009-06-19 4:27 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I have a long ride scheduled for Saturday so will probably do the course x2 as well if its not raining.
2009-06-29 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
So...it was a beautiful day. How did everyone fare? My race report is up.

2009-06-29 2:56 PM

User image

My RR is up also.

The race went great and I had a lot of fun.  Lance is a great race director.  One of the participants in the rec division flatted in transition during T1 and Lance came running up with a pump and helped him change his tube.
2009-06-29 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2251050

User image

Veteran
chrisegg - 2009-06-29 12:56 PM

Lance is a great race director.  One of the participants in the rec division flatted in transition during T1 and Lance came running up with a pump and helped him change his tube.

X2 Lance does an awesome job. I am doing the duathlon on July 25th and am looking forward to it.
2009-06-29 5:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
The weather was almost perfect. We successfully defended our relay title in the comp race and my daughter came in 3rd overall in the female rec division. My wife did a great job too finishing well within her age group. It was a great day!
2009-06-30 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2251042

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
Still working on my race report.  How do you figure out your age group ranking?  All I got after the race was my place overall in the WOMEN and my times.  Now when you go to the results online, you get Accustat Sports Timing where you have to enter a bib number, so you can only see your own time.

Anyway, I had fun at my very first tri in the recreational division, but I made some beginner mistakes that affected my time.  (Perhaps I could have easily finished at the 1-1/2 hour mark or less with experience...not that I'm unhappy about my time.) Plus, I'd been feeling yucky all week, but on Saturday I actually felt pretty good--except during part of the swim.  I think I had to wait until the 5th wave because there were so many people in front of me.  Then I started out great, but quickly felt almost exhausted.  I guess it must have been the excitement.  I love swimming and am usually really at home in the water, and I used to dream about swimming "competively." So perhaps hearing that horn sound sent my excitement sky-rocketing, which then drained my energy.  However, after rounding the bouy, I started to feel better.  When I got back to shore, I stood up and exited the water just fine, but then I think I made my first big mistake.  I should have been hurrying up to transition, because I think the swim was still being timed until you cross the mat into transition.  I didn't think about that, as I was busy wondering why I felt so yucky during the swim, so I took my time!

My other mistakes were: bike--shifting the front derailleuer--somehow I got it messed up.  After crossing I-5, I got off, jogged up the hill to a couple race volunteers and had them fix it, because it just would not shift into "1." I should have got back on then, but I elected to continue walking up to the intersection where it is flat before remounting.  (That is the only hill I walked though.)  Run--I got disorientated heading down the walkway toward the bathhouse, wondering if that was really the way to the trail around the lake, and actually turned around to look behind me.  But others were passing me going the way I had been going, so I turned back around and found the trail past the bathhouse!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Padden Tri Rss Feed  

of 2