Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Biggest Loser Finale - SPOILERS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-05-13 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2147502

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Biggest Loser Finale - SPOILERS

gir1with1nose - 2009-05-13 3:46 AM Did Dane and Blaine really do a half marathon, full marathon and half iron in three weeks?  Is that what I heard him say??? 

Agree on Helen looking sickly.  I think her final week was made up of laxatives and a grape for nutrition.

I posted erlier that I saw Dane Patterson & Blaine Cotter both at the the finish at Wildflower(Blaine was sitting next to me in the First aid tent and he jumped up to see Dane cross the finish), what's screwey is that both are showing finish times, but both do not show run times. Almost like they DNF or did not make a cutoff or something, swim and bike times look ok,something is not adding up!

2009-05-13 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2147313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Sorry I'm coming in here so late and I haven't read all your replies...

When I saw Helen's legs and how thin they were, I could tell she would win even before Tara and Mike weighed in. Tara and Mike looked great but they still had some way to go from the waist down compared to Helen.

I think what we saw with Helen and Jerry was that if you didn't have a lot of muscle to begin with, it's easier to net bigger weight losses vs. the contestants with more muscle like Blaine, Dane, Sione, Filipe and Tara. Jerry and Sione had similar starting weights but since Jerry had much less muscle than Sione, Jerry ended up much lighter than Sione. Muscle is hard to put on but it doesn't go away that easy either especially if your dong things like triathlons.

2009-05-13 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
a bit of a side note to all of this.  remember when they showed shannon at home and she was roller skating?  she was skating with one of our local roller derby teams...i do remember seeing somewhere that she was joining up with the derby.

this should make next season even MORE exciting!  (yes, i'm a huge derby fan)
2009-05-13 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2149211

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

Zilla - 2009-05-13 5:42 PM
Daremo - 2009-05-13 2:21 PM Not a fan of Helen winning.  And I don't care what else people are saying, she looked terrible.  And that f-cking "pose" just had to go!!  Made it even worse.  Yes, she did play the game and throw he daughter under the bus.  Parents don't do that .... kids do ... but parents don't.  And it IS different when you have kids - no matter how much someone believes they understand and can relate because they are a son/daughter ..... you really DON'T and will not until you have kids.  Totally serious, almost every single person thinks the same thing and then when their first kid comes along they instantly get it and say "Oh my gawd, you were so right about that."

I've been around top level amateur cyclists, runners and triathletes for most of my adult life.  While some look skinny and are often "too thin" they are still muscular and fit.  Helen looked like something dragged out of the frickin cemetery and had some skin thrown on.  Jerry didn't look much better.

I thought Tara looked great and healthy.  Same with Mike.  But because of Tara's height I knew there was no way she was down below 130 .......

LOVE IT!!!   You go Rick!

OK...and somehow *I'M* the mean one?! ;-)

2009-05-13 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2148732

User image

Davenport, IA
lisac957 - 2009-05-13 1:56 PM
Zilla - 2009-05-13 1:32 PM
lisac957 - 2009-05-13 10:59 AM
NoTrebleAtAll - 2009-05-13 12:52 PM
lisac957 - 2009-05-13 12:50 PM Why is everyone saying Helen threw her daughter under the bus? I admit I don't have the best memory, but I did watch that episode and even in the recap last night they played the part about the daughter saying they BOTH made that decision together, they thought Helen would do better at the ranch, etc. Which is something every other team did when one had to go home but not the other. Guess I don't get the gripe.

I dunno, I could have it completely wrong.  But, in my mind, mom is mom.  A mom will do anything for their kids.  It's supposed to be instinctual.

But, on the episode I watched, Shanon (being the dutiful daughter) said selflessly, "Mom, you are my inspiration and whatever you think is right is okay with me."  And then Helen said, selfishly, "Yes, my offspring, I need this more than you. Go home and deal with reality while I hang out here."

She threw her daughter under the bus so she could continue on the show.  Not a motherly quality, if you ask me.

I sorta understand the motherly thing. Sorta. But if it had gone the other way, we could just as easily say the daughter was being selfish for staying and threw HER OWN MOTHER under the bus - gasp - her own mother, how dare she. I still don't see it being any different from any of the other couples who had to make a similar decision. One person's gotta go home and if you call that throwing someone under the bus... well I disagree.

Just guessing you might feel differently once you have a child of your own.   Something just kicks in and you'd do anything for your kids.  I'd do anything for my daughter .. however I am pretty sure she would throw me under the bus because kids are selfish .. just like I am toward my mom.  LOL!!!!

Interesting... cause I'd do anything for my mom, and I'm sure she'd do anything for me. It doesn't only work one way.
But I don't have kids, so my comments are null and void.

Like stay on a gameshow that would push you to a "possibly unhealthy" low weight for the opportunity to win $250k?  You can look at it two ways, mom threw daughter under the bus to stay on the show, or both made a decision and the daughter has more time to lose weight in a healthy manner and the family has an extra Quarter of a Million dollars. 
2009-05-13 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2149510

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-05-14 7:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Herlen --> smokes and sauna .. thats how she did it ! LOL just kidding .. i'm glad everyone in the end got their life back ..
2009-05-14 9:51 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I too would like to see some number OTHER than just percentage of weight lost.

One of the first seasons they factored in Body Fat percentage lost into the finale.  But I have a feeling that probably favors the guys since most chicks cannot get as low as the guys and still be healthy.

A fitness factor would be nice too...but would defnitely favor someone who is more athletic.  I mean, that's just obvious if you look at Helen vs. Tara.  Tara would have kicked her butt all over any fitness challenge.

It's a tough nut to crack...not sure what the solution is, but defniitely wish they would find a way to make the finale into a "more rounded" winner winning.  Not just someone who starved themselves.  Though it doesn't always happen.  I don't think Michelle looked starved when she won.  Can't comment on Ali...I was deployed when that finale aired.  But Michelle looked perfectly okay for sure.
2009-05-14 12:04 PM

2009-05-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2150813

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Kroner - 2009-05-14 12:04 PM
Anyways, anyone know where I can see the end of the finale online?   I haven't had much luck finding it.    I would love to see how Helen and Tara looked at the finale.  I've seen some pictures, but I'd really like to see the last 10-15mins of the show.

Thanks!

http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/video/clips/the-winner-is/1101755/

2009-05-14 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2149554

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Zilla - 2009-05-13 8:52 PM
Fatdoggy - 2009-05-13 6:11 PM.

And I do agree that Helen looked unhealthy on TV last night at the final weigh-in.  It's not about her excess skin.  She looked like all the water and fat was sucked out of her leaving her looking a little drawn and older than she really is. Don't woman pay a lot of money to have fat injected into their faces to look healthier and younger?  She is a very attractive woman and she is 2 years older than me and looks a helluva lot better than I do ... props to her for all the hard work she put in.  I hope that she can maintain it and live a healthy, happy life no matter what the number on the scale reads.

I'm going to have to say, "Ummm ... no."

2009-05-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2150447

Expert
Barrington Area, IL
jldicarlo - 2009-05-14 9:51 AM

I too would like to see some number OTHER than just percentage of weight lost.

One of the first seasons they factored in Body Fat percentage lost into the finale.  But I have a feeling that probably favors the guys since most chicks cannot get as low as the guys and still be healthy.

A fitness factor would be nice too...but would defnitely favor someone who is more athletic.  I mean, that's just obvious if you look at Helen vs. Tara.  Tara would have kicked her butt all over any fitness challenge.

It's a tough nut to crack...not sure what the solution is, but defniitely wish they would find a way to make the finale into a "more rounded" winner winning.  Not just someone who starved themselves.  Though it doesn't always happen.  I don't think Michelle looked starved when she won.  Can't comment on Ali...I was deployed when that finale aired.  But Michelle looked perfectly okay for sure.

Tara is 20+ years younger than Helen, I hope that she could kick her butt in a fitness challenge.

Why would you use other criteria other than % of weight loss for the winner in a weight loss show. This is the first time I have heard any complaining about someone being TOO thin.

I think it is because when you are Helen's age and older you skin will not bounce back as much as with Mike & Tara. I don't think Helen looked that good but she will bounce back a little weight and look great.

Someone won that most people didn't want so people want to change the rules - kind of ridiculous.

FYI - I was cheering for Mike.
2009-05-14 3:11 PM

Veteran
Minnesota
I think at the start of the show, only a few have a realistic shot of losing the highest percentage of body weight. You can look at the contestants early on and tell who they are. Those with the small frames and lower muscle mass have an advantage over the rest. Sione was never really a threat to win it all because he is naturally a bigger muscular guy under the body fat. As others mentioned, neither did people like Dane, Blaine, Kristen. etc.

Beyond that, I think there are also other factors that give advantages and disadvantages. Some need to lose a lot more than others to get to a healthy weight. I also feel Tara had a HUGE advantage over everybody else. The rest had carried their weight for many years or their whole lives. She put on 140 lbs in a couple years.

I think to be fair, they need to try to create a more even group of contestants. Not so much by age or gender, but by looking at things like starting weight, lean muscle mass, body fat percentage, goal weight etc.
2009-05-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2151363

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Wolff27 - 2009-05-14 2:54 PM
jldicarlo - 2009-05-14 9:51 AM I too would like to see some number OTHER than just percentage of weight lost.

Tara is 20+ years younger than Helen, I hope that she could kick her butt in a fitness challenge. Why would you use other criteria other than % of weight loss for the winner in a weight loss show. This is the first time I have heard any complaining about someone being TOO thin. I think it is because when you are Helen's age and older you skin will not bounce back as much as with Mike & Tara. I don't think Helen looked that good but she will bounce back a little weight and look great. Someone won that most people didn't want so people want to change the rules - kind of ridiculous. FYI - I was cheering for Mike.

I'm trying to remember what season it was...but it was a dude that one and he looked about as bad as Helen did last night.  He later told people that he'd used some whacky diet involving a lot of cayenne pepper and diuretics and stuff....

So we've been saying to change the rules for QUITE some time...not just this round...or at least I have been.  I never liked it after they took the body fat percentage out of the equation....
2009-05-14 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2151453

Elite
Denver, Colorado
jldicarlo - 2009-05-14 3:18 PM

I'm trying to remember what seasons ...but it was a dude that one and he looked about as bad as Helen did last night.  He later told people that he'd used some whacky diet involving a lot of cayenne pepper and diuretics and stuff....

Fixed that for you, because someone does something like this every season. From the first season, Ryan admitted that he cut so much water that he "peed blood." That chick from Alaska said that during the last week she ate nothing but Jello and sat in the sauna for hours. Matt Hoover used to be a wrestler. Nuff said, because these guys are the experts in cutting water to make their weight class.

Water manipulation is rampant in any sport that has a weight class. It's not the healthiest thing to do and can be dangerous, but done correctly it won't do any permanent damage. Heck, I read how a powerlifter cut 30 lbs. in the 48 hours before weigh in. I can guarantee that 24 hours after the weigh in, Helen probably weighed in at around 130.

I was pulling for Mike. The kid grew up and he also took responsibility for his actions. You're right, Jen, that he has a bunch of loose skin around his waist and he really looked odd when he walked. It's like his whole middle jiggled. I'm not trying to be mean. I like the guy and I actually feel bad for him about the loose skin since the only way to get rid of that will be through surgery. Loose skin doesn't just affect the old. I remember Heba from last season at the finale. Her boobs hung down to her waist.

This show is my one guilty pleasure. It's kind of like looking at the Kramer painting: the show is a loathsome brute, yet I cannot look away.
2009-05-14 7:45 PM

2009-05-14 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2151453

Davenport, IA
jldicarlo - 2009-05-14 3:18 PM
Wolff27 - 2009-05-14 2:54 PM
jldicarlo - 2009-05-14 9:51 AM I too would like to see some number OTHER than just percentage of weight lost.

Tara is 20+ years younger than Helen, I hope that she could kick her butt in a fitness challenge. Why would you use other criteria other than % of weight loss for the winner in a weight loss show. This is the first time I have heard any complaining about someone being TOO thin. I think it is because when you are Helen's age and older you skin will not bounce back as much as with Mike & Tara. I don't think Helen looked that good but she will bounce back a little weight and look great. Someone won that most people didn't want so people want to change the rules - kind of ridiculous. FYI - I was cheering for Mike.

I'm trying to remember what season it was...but it was a dude that one and he looked about as bad as Helen did last night.  He later told people that he'd used some whacky diet involving a lot of cayenne pepper and diuretics and stuff....

So we've been saying to change the rules for QUITE some time...not just this round...or at least I have been.  I never liked it after they took the body fat percentage out of the equation....

And yet everyone still watches.  NBC will continue to run the show as is until that changes.  Why would the modify a product that is working as designed?
2009-05-15 10:50 AM

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Helen is supposed to be on Ellen Today so we can see what she looks like now that she is not completely dehydrated.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Biggest Loser Finale - SPOILERS Rss Feed  

of 4