American Cycling Association
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat 4 Women
Age Group Rank = 10/17
Pre-race routine:

Got home from work, shoved my bike, wheels, and the trainer in the car. Ate a bowl of cereal, mixed my Cytomax, grabbed a Clif Bar and ran out the door to drive to Cherry Creek Reservoir. Got there, walked through the slush still left over from the blizzard to pick up my race number.
Event warmup:

Gave myself almost an hour to warm up on the trainer by my car. My car has a DVD player, so I put the 2004 Tour de France in to play while I warmed up. Listened to my MP3 player. Then along comes markdills38! It was great to meet you, Mark! We talked for a while as I was warming up. It came time to switch out my rear wheel for my race wheel. I have no idea what happened, but I couldn't get it on right. I have changed my wheels a million times in my life, but when I get nervous, I'm all thumbs. Luckily some nice man saw me struggling and helped me out. I felt like an idiot. With the wheel finally on, I went for a quick bathroom break and went to check the official race clock (my start time is 6:13pm). I had about 3 minutes until my start. I should have just lined up then, but I didn't for some reason. By the time I rode around in a circle, waited for cars to pass and made it back to the start line, I was almost late for my start time! I got there with 20 seconds to spare - stupid, stupid, stupid. That little panic had my heartrate way too high.
Bike
  • 31m 18s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 20.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Because I was almost late for my start time, I didn't have time to clear out my computer, so I spent the first 15 seconds of the time trial fiddling with it. The word of the day (besides "stupid") was WIND. Holy crap, it was so windy. I tried to make the most out of the tailwinds when I had them, but it seemed like I had a headwind or side wind for the majority of the race. You know it's a bad sign when you can hear the wind whistling through your helmet. Wind is a major psychological thing for me that I need to work on overcoming. I just really didn't feel like my legs were that great today and couldn't push it into the wind without my HR going too high. Overall, I thought I'd do better today, so I'm rather disappointed.
What would you do differently?:

Not be stupid and put my rear wheel on right! Not be stupid and almost be late for my start time!
Post race
Warm down:

Rode for about 15 minutes to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind.

Event comments:

I looked at the results and the woman who won my category (and I'm in the LOWEST category there is!!!) had a time of 23:53. That's a 25.62 mph pace. UNREAL. I also noticed that SUSAN WILLIAMS, OLYMPIC BRONZE MEDALIST, was at the race. Her time was 27:13. Goody - I get to race against Olympians. Gee, sometimes I really love living in Colorado!

Last updated: 2005-04-14 12:00 AM
Biking
00:31:18 | 10.5 miles | 20.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back course around the reservoir, all right turns.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-04-14 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #1

2005-04-14 10:40 AM
in reply to: #142436

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #1

Nice race!!!  I thought of you as the wind blew me around on my ride last night, and thought that your time trial probably wouldn't be too fun - I swear the freaking wind couldn't pick a direction to blow last night.  Anyhow, good job - you're gonna kick ass when you start doing triathlons

Hehe...Susan Williams lives in my neighborhood - I've had her run past me like I was standing still a few times when I was out running!!  Anyhow, she's a really strong biker, so if she's coming in 3 minutes behind the woman who came in first in your category, makes you wonder why the woman who came in first doesn't move into a different category!!! I don't get bicycle racing at all...

2005-04-14 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

I knew you (and others) were racing last night, so I was thinking about you when I was riding around Bear Creek Lake.  I wanted to ride over 20mph, and didn't get there. 

YOU ARE FAST!!!!

Doesn't sound to me like you were stupid - we sign up for some of these races to get over being all thumbs and to tune our routine.  You did great!  Does the wind ever get fun?  I doubt it!

2005-04-14 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Great job, Stacie! I can't believe you can maintain that pace in that kind of wind! You're a stud! And WTF, why did the girl in your category beat an olympian?!?!?! How far behind was the next person in your category???!!! LOL! Weird....
2005-04-14 2:51 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
I think 20 mph in that wind was awesome. I know there was wind because I rode that same route. Ii wouldn't feel bad about Susan Williams, you were almost as fast as her! Way to go and nice to meet you. See ya!
2005-04-14 3:01 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Great race Stacie!  You kicked butt!

2005-04-15 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Awesome job Stacie!! Don't sweat the back wheel thing. You were probably just being extra careful not to bugger up your new wheel, right? RIGHT? There's a reason it's called a series. Do one, learn a little, do the next one, learn a little more... Sometimes you just don't have the fabulous day that you envisioned when you woke up, but it looks like you had a good day nonetheless. Anywho, you are certainly a stud (hoss-chica) in my book!

-Frank
2005-04-15 7:28 AM

yo, one word - impressive
peace
jdog
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #1 Rss Feed