General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Bar Hydration (Front) versus Rear Mount Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-05-15 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Aero Bar Hydration (Front) versus Rear Mount
Good morning/afternoon all-

I just picked up a Profile Design aero bottle + mount system. After mounting the bottle and bracket and triple checking my work for correctness, I went out for a 35 mile training ride to test drive the new setup. Even with the sponge AND cap in place, I got a lot of "splash." Sticky sports drink covered my shoes, knees, shins, front wheel, fork, aero bars, forearms, etc. Needless to say, I was not psyched. Does this sort of thing just come with the territory? Before, I was using a rear mount two bottle system, but always felt a little off balance when reaching back to grab a bottle, plus I felt like it slowed me down.

I'd like to get a consensus of who uses rear and who uses front? And does anyone have any fixes for either problem mentioned above?

Thanks all!

-j

2009-05-15 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2153211

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Aero Bar Hydration (Front) versus Rear Mount
I despise the aero bottle in the front for many reasons....rattling, splashing and I do not like a straw stuck in my face! Rear water bottle holders for me. I think it just takes practice to reach behind you and grab a drink but once you get the hang of it its great. I am waiting for the rear water bottle holders I ordered for my P2C to come in.........I'm thirsty!!
2009-05-15 12:08 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I use rear for training.  Don't like the drink straw anyway (in addition to the splashing, etc.).  For racing, I use only a frame bottle (maybe 2 on rare occasions in the past).  I may experiment with a regular bottle horizontal between the aerobars this year.  Don't think I would ever race with a rear mounted system.

2009-05-15 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
I have both, but prefer the aero bottle. Are you using the neoprene liner with the cap? I don't get any spillage. I am gonna stop using the rear holder and keep the spare bottle in the downtube holder.

By the way, don't put the neoprene liner in the dishwasher - it will shrink it and destroy it.

2009-05-15 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks to all who have answered so far...

I started out using the neoprene liner (with cross slices cut into it) and was getting a ton of splash...I had the yellow sponge looking thing in my jersey pocket and inserted it 1/2 way into the ride under the neoprene and cap. The splashing wasn't too bad, but still annoying. I think I may give the water bottle on the frame a try. With the size and geometry of my frame, I'm limited to smaller bottles to get them in and out.
2009-05-15 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2153223

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
JohnnyKay - 2009-05-15 1:08 PM

I use rear for training.  Don't like the drink straw anyway (in addition to the splashing, etc.).  For racing, I use only a frame bottle (maybe 2 on rare occasions in the past).  I may experiment with a regular bottle horizontal between the aerobars this year.  Don't think I would ever race with a rear mounted system.

Ditto on what JK said.  I have used a rear mount in the past, but no more.  One bottle on the seat tube of the frame, that's it (my frame does not have a mount on the downtube).

I do not train much at all on my TT bike, so I rarely mount the rear cages anymore.  If I do use the bike in training I can get away with two bottles in my jersey and one on the bike for most average rides.

I also despise "aero bottles" of any sort.  I personally see zero need for them.

Edited by Daremo 2009-05-15 12:46 PM

2009-05-15 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
I have the rear mounts that I use. It was a bit akward during my first race with them but I think I'll give them another try next week for the captex. If they don't work out I may give the PD aero bottle a try or figure something else out.

Hey aquagirl did you end up ordering the hydrotail?
2009-05-15 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
I was debating the same thing myself. I have used the profile aero bottle for a few years now, and have gone through countless sponges (yellow thingy) and straws. I've been using three smaller sponges crammed in the bottle, and haven't had a splash problem. However, I've lost another straw on the transit from the dishwasher to the pantry some how, and have been reverting back to the bottom cage. I may just toss the aero bottle since I'm not sure what I'm gaining other than easy access to fluids.
2009-05-15 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
I use the aero bottle with the neoprene cover & yellow sponge, never have any splashing issues.
2009-05-15 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had a water bladder that I could put behind the seat.  You filled it up under pressure and it could hold about 20oz of water.  It had a tube that went up to the front.  If you bit down on the tube water would flow.  It worked great until I put a combination of 1/2 Coca-Cola and 1/2 water in it.  I came out of the transition area and hit a little bump in the road.  Since the drink was carbonated it blew out and shot coke and water over I don't know how many people behind me.  They thought it was an unfair advantage since it made the transition area slippery for those behind me and also gave me a little propulsive edge.
2009-05-15 1:28 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

I use an Aerobottle with the yellow sponge. It doesn't spash for me, but I don't fill it up all the way. I think that's the key.

2009-05-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2153391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
matt_d - 2009-05-15 1:04 PM I use the aero bottle with the neoprene cover & yellow sponge, never have any splashing issues.

X2, never had a splash issue since they came out with the neoprene cover...not one and no need to break aero-positioning to drink.  Is there ANY downside to not having it?
2009-05-15 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
I use an aerobottle & love it as I'm still super shaky reaching for my back cages.  I've never had any major splash issues as my yellow spongy thing keeps it nice nice.  I just reach my right hand up, push the straw towards my lips (my straw is set away, not in my face - I think you have two options there) and bite down and sip....no major problems.  For me, it's perfect and had I not invested in one, I think I'd forget to hydrate more often than I now do. 
2009-05-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2153480

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
bmcgee - 2009-05-15 2:30 PM X2, never had a splash issue since they came out with the neoprene cover...not one and no need to break aero-positioning to drink.  Is there ANY downside to not having it?

Yes.

- NOT as aero as a frame mount.
- Sunday I will spend too much of my time dodging the stupid yellow poofies that get dislodged on the course (and that is not even a joke - last year on this course I saw well over 100 - no exageration).
- Hard to refill, and unless you are doing a 1/2 or longer, you shouldn't even need that much fluids.
- Make mounting a computer an issue as well as having issues with fitting the damn thing within all models or aero bars.

And I'll bet money that "not coming up out of aero" to drink will be negated by the majority of people not being able to hold the position to begin with.  Not too mention you can stay aero and reach down to grab a bottle to drink with the same "not come out of aero" argument.

Use one if you want.  I'm just not a fan and see no need.  They arguably do not make you one lick faster and don't increase drinking amounts even if the too-long and anti-aero straw is sitting right in your face.
2009-05-15 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2153506

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Daremo - 2009-05-15 2:44 PM
bmcgee - 2009-05-15 2:30 PM X2, never had a splash issue since they came out with the neoprene cover...not one and no need to break aero-positioning to drink.  Is there ANY downside to not having it?

Yes.

- Sunday I will spend too much of my time dodging the stupid yellow poofies that get dislodged on the course (and that is not even a joke - last year on this course I saw well over 100 - no exageration).
- Hard to refill, and unless you are doing a 1/2 or longer, you shouldn't even need that much fluids.
- Make mounting a computer an issue as well as having issues with fitting the damn thing within all models or aero bars.

And I'll bet money that "not coming up out of aero" to drink will be negated by the majority of people not being able to hold the position to begin with.  Not too mention you can stay aero and reach down to grab a bottle to drink with the same "not come out of aero" argument.

Use one if you want.  I'm just not a fan and see no need.  They arguably do not make you one lick faster and don't increase drinking amounts even if the too-long and anti-aero straw is sitting right in your face.

Actually, I think the answer to the question is 'no'.  Wink
2009-05-15 1:51 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

2009-05-15 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2153506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Daremo - 2009-05-15 1:44 PM

Yes.

Actually, it is supposedly more areo than a naked set of aero bars because it channels wind better (like I said, supposedly...wind tunnel testing is so iffy these days, as soon as one report confirms it, another comes out to disprove it).  But it does help you drink more often, cause it's right in your face reminding you to stick to your "drink every 5 minutes" plan.  I'm not touching the comment about the straw not being aero (well, maybe I just did)...
2009-05-15 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I still say a cage zipped tied between your aero bars is best, or go rear mount. Preferably one that doesn't chunk bottles when it hits a bump.

I didn't like my aero bottle(whichever it was called). This was when they had the yellow spounge that sucked horribly. Then to mount it well you need the mount bracket, which costs more.. and more weight, though not much. Not that I can run one anyway, I'm too low in the front for the bottle to even fit without touching my tire.

I've heard more saying they are less aero, but as stated.. who really knows.

Edited by smilford 2009-05-15 2:02 PM
2009-05-15 2:00 PM

Veteran
I used an aerodrink for a while.  If the race is short, use some electrical tape to cover the hole, just leading a square for the straw to fit into.  No leaking.

However, I stopped using it.  I have a horizontal bottle between the bars and one cage on the downtube.

For a sprint, cage comes off downtube.
Oly, two bottles.
Longer, two bottles and replace with water on course.  Carry EFS liquid shots for calories.  Like gel, but no gelling agents so flows more easily.

As far as aero goes, even if one were to come out of aero to drink, how often is that really.  Less than one total minute in an olympic.  Maybe two in a half.  I just could not see why I should ride around with this thing hanging off the front of the bike for the entire race, messing up the air for my aero headtube, in order to avoid possibly coming out of aero for one minute.  And for the longer races, I bet the amount of time spent squeezing liquid into the aerodrink at the aid station is longer than it takes to drink from a more conventional bottle during ride.

And then as Rick said, just learn how to dring from a bottle while in aero.  Or if there is a hilly course, or some other reason to come out of aero, drink then.

Gordon
2009-05-15 2:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-15 2:08 PM

Master
Houston, TX
That's basically what I do too, it's starting to get a bit more popular. It's the way to go!

2009-05-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2153295

Quite honestly, I don't think it really matters where you keep your fluids on the bike so long as it is what is most convenient for you and allows you to get an adequate amount of hydration. Personally I decided to go without the front aero drink this year.

But when I did use it in years past, instead of the crappy sponge thing they would give you I bought a car wash sponge for about $1.50 and cut several round pieces slightly bigger than the hole of the aerodrink so it would wedge itself in. Never popped out and never splashed. Easy to take out and refill and pop back in. But be sure to rinse out the sponge after each use and let air dry, or it will get nasty.
2009-05-15 2:11 PM

Expert
Boise, ID

I have the front mounted PD bottle and haven't had too many probs with it. I have the Hydrotail two bottle holder on the back as well. So I put water in the front bottle so if/when it does splash a bit at first it isn't a big deal and doesn't make a mess. Then I keep one bottle of water and one of whatever sports drink on the rear holder. I refill the front bottle from the rear water bottle when needed and only have to reach when I want the sports mix.

Might rethink this strategy for my HIM in a few weeks. Which brings me to my own question... How do aid stations work in an HIM? Should I just out one bottle on my bike and grab new bottles at the stations? Do I chuck my first bottle when I get a replacement? So should I use a cheapo bottle that I won't mind throwing away? This will be my first race with bike aid stations so I am a little confused as to the process.
2009-05-15 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2153579

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-15 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2153589

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Aarondb4 - 2009-05-15 3:11 PM

Might rethink this strategy for my HIM in a few weeks. Which brings me to my own question... How do aid stations work in an HIM? Should I just out one bottle on my bike and grab new bottles at the stations? Do I chuck my first bottle when I get a replacement? So should I use a cheapo bottle that I won't mind throwing away? This will be my first race with bike aid stations so I am a little confused as to the process.

Usually they give you a new bottle.  Could be a generic bike bottle or could be something like the pre-packaged plastic Gatorade 'edge' bottles (hopefully with the seal removed).  I usually start with one of those or a generic bottle ready to be 'retired' soon and toss/replace at each aid station.  As long as there are enough aid stations for you, you're happy with what's served on the course and only need either water or sports drink at any given time, then 1 bottle is the way to go.  But you should check the course & aid station layout in advance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Bar Hydration (Front) versus Rear Mount Rss Feed  

of 3