General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've written off my bike today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-15 4:48 PM

User image

Fort Lauderdale
Subject: I've written off my bike today
Riding up to a junction in the rain this morning, looked up to see a mini van start to pull away ahead of me. Looked down, looked up the minivan had not pulled away and I'm all over the back of it. Totally my fault, stupid mistake. My aerobars smashed a light and dented the liftgate on the van. And I bent the frame of my Synapse in 2 places. Now I will have a bill, yet to be decided, to fix the van. The $1800 for the bike, plus my medical bills to get my arm stitched up, managed to nick an artery, my luck was really out, plus X rays etc. So my question is does anyone have experience of this? Do you think my household insurence would cover it?
Otherwise I will be left looking at the pictures of other bikes.......Frown

2009-05-15 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2154069

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: I've written off my bike today
If you have health insurance it should cover the medical bills. Unless your home owners policy specifically includes an "anything and everything can happen to my bike/bike gear and it will be covered" clause you are probably out of luck there and I would highly doubt it would cover the mini van. Granted I am not an insurance expert but that is how my policy has been explained to me.

Sorry you had such bad luck, hope you heal quickly and get everything repaired and on the road again without to much hassle.
2009-05-15 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
If you jaywalk and get hit by a car, the car driver can sue you for damage to the vehicle. Up here, it's often covered by home-owners insurance, but probably not the bike unless you specifically specified it (usually because of theft not so much crashes).

Ask your house insurance provider. If it was a nice van and you scratched the hatch and bumper you could be looking at several thousand + possibly rental. Paint work cost has grown astronomicaly in the last couple years. A 300 dollar bumper respray is now 900.

2009-05-15 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
OUCH... BUMMER!!!  If the driver of the Van has uninsured motorist insurance, you may ask him if he'd be willing to use that, and you just pay the deductible... not sure how that works.  I hope your arm is better soon!
2009-05-15 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor

Depends on how your policy is written but honestly insurance is designed to cover catastrophic losses - house burns down, you get robbed, you cause a car wreck and send someone to the hospital, you total your car, etc.

Your home policy will pay for the damage you did to the car under the liability, and there is no deductible for liability. Just like if you hit a rock through your neighbor's window with your lawn mower. Unless your bike is scheduled/ added as a rider on the home policy no damage to the bike will be covered...usually.

If you get hit as a pedestrian by a motorist the PIP on your auto policy would pay for your medical bills. But it will not pay if the accident was your fault. You might want to think about an accident policy if you are worried about your medical insurance covering you - they are really cheap!

I'm glad you didn't get really bad hurt! Sorry about the wreck that sucks!!!!

Edited by The Nat 2009-05-15 7:05 PM
2009-05-15 7:48 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I have no idea, but would your liability coverage in your car insurance policy kick in to cover the repairs to the van?  I think most policies cover you for liability for any vehicle you drive on the road legally.  Since bicycles are governed by the same traffic laws as motor vehicles, and they are legal to drive on the road, would that coverage apply?  Any insurance people out there?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've written off my bike today Rss Feed