General Discussion Triathlon Talk » keep missing workouts, vicious cycle... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-15 3:02 PM

Memphis
Subject: keep missing workouts, vicious cycle...
Help, need advice, tips, motivation, a...chewing, etc.
Here's the background:
-married, 2 boys -4&2yrs, work full time pharm. sales so some days are flexible but I have the working mom's guilt so when I finish early I get my boys a.s.a.p.
-I am a former golfer, college and mini-tour: love golf, it's my passion but it just does not fit into my life time wise (love time with my family more
So to fill that void, I started training for triathlons which is very similar to golf in that there is always something to improve/practice or train for, but unlike golf I can train early in the a.m.

Here's my problem, I am so tired in the morning I keep missing my workouts. I have a great beginner plan to follow each day, totally mapped out for my anal side and I'm exhausted and very frustrated. My only time is early before work and I keep missing it, I joined a master's swim team and also a weekly running clinic that are all in the morning. I am just not getting my butt out of bed and so I feel miserable the rest of the day. It's a vicious cycle- has anyone else been through a rut like this???

thanks

2005-04-15 3:08 PM
in reply to: #143125

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: keep missing workouts, vicious cycle...
I am not a morning person so I can relate...Is there anyone you can train with? someone who will be waiting outside your door at 5am, or whatever ungodly hour it is. Did you lay everything out the night before, right by the door? Maybe just try to get out 2 mornings a week, then 3 then 4 etc....if you only have to get out on tues/thurs, it's not all or none. just 2 mornings. then as you see it's do-able, you could add another day, until your schedule is adjusted. good luck. I hate mornings.
2005-04-15 3:11 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
With a newborn was just there. Started a training program and the next week he was born. After that ZERO energy for training in the morning. ( He just started daycare and I recommited to a training program and get done in the morning. The days I drop off at daycare I ride and run. The days my wife drops off, I get to the gym to lift and swim. GUILT FREE as my wife know's my goal to get fit again and I'm sure she wants to see me fit as well....Purrrrrrrrrrr

Get your training done guilt free, knowing that it will help you keep up with the little ones as they have all the energy in the world.

Just my thoughts from the peanut gallery.
2005-04-15 3:12 PM

User image

The best advice I can give you is to give yourself a goal. A specific race to train for always does it for me. I fall off the wagon if I don't have a race to train for in the next month or so, so challenge yourself, not by just saying your going to train, but go ahead and enter a few tri's. That should give your 'anal' side just enough kick in the butt to get moving.
2005-04-15 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,

One thing that will help is giving your body time to adjust to getting up in the morning.  You might do this by trying to go to bed shortly after your boys go to bed.  Then force yourself to get up by having your workout clothes laying out the night before, so you just have to put them on.  Or have your swim bag packed.  Those thing I have heard can help with this issue.  Mostly though I think it is just forcing your body to get used to the new early morning schedule.  Good luck with your training goals.

Dirk

2005-04-15 3:16 PM

User image

By the way, I have a 13 month-old at home, which makes it challenging to always get each workout in. The key is to not beat yourself up over missing one, or sleeping in. It is difficult to be up in the middle of the night with my son crying, and then get up at 6:00am to run, bike, etc...
It helps to have the support of my awesome wife too.

2005-04-15 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
As suggested, a training partner helps get me up and going--can't leave Ivan hanging. Also, you just gotta get over that first 5 minutes, get up and go no matter what--you know the rest of the day will be better if you do. Go to bed early. Set everything out the night before. Set your alarm clock on the other side of the room. Ask your spouse to help get you up and moving--mine kicks me and says "aren't you riding this morning."

GET YOUR LAZY BUTT UP AND EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(you asked to be chewed out )

Good luck.
2005-04-15 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

I'm a morning person, and it's still hard for me to get out of bed.  The way I get over it, is by telling myself that I'll get up and get going, and if I sill feel bad after 10 min., then I'll return to the house.  Of course that's never happened.  Another trick is to put your alarm clock some place where you have to get out of bed to shut it off.  And if you are competitive like me, then tell yourself that your competitors are out there right now, so I better get out there if I want to beat them. .

PS I'm a former college golfer too, but with all this tri training, seems like I'm picking the sticks up less and less.  I'm assuming from your log in name you've had 3 aces?  If so, that's quite an accomplishment.

Chris

2005-04-15 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
I just started training for my first Tri in July. I'm not a morning person either seeing as I'm 28 and don't start work until 10:00. Used to leave for late late nights. What I've found that helps me is a couple of things.

1. 2 Alarm Clocks One on the headboard and the other on the other side of the Room set for 2 minutes after.
2. Going to bed 15-30 Minutes earlier than I normally did. (When I wasn't out all night)
3. I feel much better and energized throughout the day after working out in the morning. No matter if the workout was good or bad, just getting the exercise fuels me for the rest of the day.

Although we all skip every once in a while. No harm no foul. Your family is important and should come first. Good luck with your training.
2005-04-15 8:17 PM
in reply to: #143231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Try not to be so hard on yourself for not wanting to get up early--you are who you are! If you have the motivation in you, I'm sure there are tons of benefits (like feeling refreshed all day) but truthfully, I always just felt like poo if I got up too early. No matter how hard I try, I am just too freakin' lazy to get up early. Even on a normal day I only allow about 30 min. to get ready for work. So I have to do my workouts during lunch. I prefer that even more than working out at night because it gives me a chance to get away from my desk and set some boundaries. I realize not everyone has this luxury...but in the ultra-short time I've been training, and from lots of past experiences of "I'm going to get up at 6 every day this week!" and then failing, this is something I've learned about myself.
2005-04-15 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I think if you are feeling so guilty about not getting in your workouts then that should be a big enough motivation to actually get up and do it. I hate feeling guilty about anything including missing workouts, so I make sure I do them, even if it means getting up at 0430. I think if you make yourself do it you will get a new refreshed meaning of waking up early, you`ll find that this will become 'your time' and you will thank youself for it come race day. I agree with the idea of finding a goal, a race, go ahead and register and that will make you train. I have a 2yr old and a 4 yr old, I take them to daycare 2 times a week and am also part of a co-op at my local gym. Never feel guilty about looking after your body, mind, spirit, without them being healthy and happy your kids wont be either.

2005-04-15 8:42 PM

Memphis
Thanks everyone for some great insights. I am definetly not a morning person but if I don't train in the morning it just won't happen, so I will try a new approach and just make myself get out of the bed, let out the dog out and re-evaluate! The more I think about it, it was the time change that really put me over the edge. And yes, everyone is correct once you get going it's easy to continue. I have just turned into this out of shape slug with tons of excuses which is so unlike me, time to get my mojo back,
thanks again,
3aces (yep, 3 holes in one, but still striving for the elusive double eagle)
2005-04-16 7:33 AM
in reply to: #143324

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Christi, I sell computer systems to hospitals so I too have a traveling job.  My sister works for Tap Pharmaceuticals.  I am also a former golfer with only one ace up my sleeve (still play, but now only "customer golf".  How about that Master's finish (but, I digress).  I, too have 2 kids and I'm training for a season of triathlons.  Instead of being strict about when I train, I try to be flexible and stay true to my workout calendar for the day.  In otherwords, if I don't run in the morning, then its at lunch or in the evening. 

Everyone is different, but there is one consistency in all this training...discipline.  Its but one part of the steep learning curve associated with triathlon training.  I wish you the best and if I can ever help, please don't hesitate to ask.

I should also suggest that you "blog" your workouts on the training log.  Its a great way to receive advice, inspiration and motivation from  your fellow triathletes in training here at BT.

Edited by Motivated 2005-04-16 7:35 AM
2005-04-16 10:18 AM
in reply to: #143393

Memphis
I just discovered the "blog" section, that is very motivational. Plan to start mine today!!!
You mentioned computer hospital sales, do you cover Memphis? some great accounts here.
Also, I was screaming for DiMarco to win the Masters, he was staking long irons inside of Wood's wedges all day!!!! such is golf
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » keep missing workouts, vicious cycle... Rss Feed