General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RW's Run Less, Run Faster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-18 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas
Subject: RW's Run Less, Run Faster
has anyone used this book and can speak for results in said book? my dad got it to use for his next marathon and i've read almost half of it today out of curiosity. the concept sounds awesome.

2009-05-19 4:10 AM
in reply to: #2159758

User image

Amherstburg Ontario
Subject: RE: RW's Run Less, Run Faster
This has been discussed to death over on RW website. Search FIRST training program on here. I did it for a fall marathon last year and it got me to the finish line OK but I did not feel as prepared as when logging lots of miles. JMHO
2009-05-19 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
I'm not sure I'd use the system for a marathon, but I think it's principles could apply nicely to triathlon training.  I've got the book, and it is an interesting read. 
2009-05-19 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
There have been a number of threads on FIRST on these boards too. Triathletes are a little more receptive to it. I  used it to train for my 4th marathon and I definitely got faster but my goal race didn't turn out well due to catching a cold the week of the race. Not much to be done about that.  My running partner knocked 10 minutes off her time from a prepvious PB marathon four months earlier.  Since using the program last summer i've been posting PBs at most distances. But i think that has a lot to do with the focus on intervals - which I am sure if you already do won't make that much of a difference.

I can't say i didn't feel prepared. After five 32k runs it was more than I'd ever done in prep and it's more a mental things as to how ready one feels.  I even read one lady say that she did well and felt more fit than ever from doing cross-training but preferred to run more. It's really about preference.  I'll be using it again for my Fall marathon.

You've already read the book which is good as most detractors of the program haven't done.  Again, it's really best for specific race prep as there is no easy running and the pacing is specific and tough.
2009-05-19 2:55 PM

User image

Amherstburg Ontario
I agree that while mixing in Triathlon training it is an awesome tool. It was more a mental thing with me that I did not have enough mileage for a successful marathon. I peaked at 60-70 mpw for my spring marathon and pb'd by 28 minutes. It was my first marathon that I was not training for triathlon as well, simply running.

I did a solid interval day each week along with a marathon pace run half the distance of the next days long run for the last 10 weeks of my program as well as a hill workout and a 90 minute easy run midweek so that had more to do with it than anything wrong with the FIRST program.

I really liked it, just underestimated it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RW's Run Less, Run Faster Rss Feed