General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-20 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: Wheel help
I just took my bike into the LBS because the back end was make a weird clicking noise at Wildflower, and since.  Pretty constant, no changes or pattern to it for speed, climbing or gearing.   I couldn't figure it out, not could my husband or tri-friends.  Today the LBS called and said that they couldn't find it either, but when they replaced the rear wheel, it went away.  They're suggesting that I buy a new wheel.  However, all they have in stock is a real cheapy and a real high-end.  When I advised them that I have a Oly in 10 days, they advised that I call another shop, because they can't get me mid-level ($150) one that fast.  hmph.  I have a 2007 Specialized Allez.

Questions are....a) does this sound right?  They don't know what it is?
                       b) do I need a good wheel? How good?  Why?  I'll be borrowing race wheels for IMWI
                       c) what should this be costing me? 

Thanks!  I seem to be in the middle of a steep learning curve!

Edited by velcromom 2009-05-20 8:00 PM

2009-05-20 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2164682

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: RE: Wheel help
velcromom - 2009-05-20 9:00 PM I just took my bike into the LBS because the back end was make a weird clicking noise at Wildflower, and since.  Pretty constant, no changes or pattern to it for speed, climbing or gearing.   I couldn't figure it out, not could my husband or tri-friends.  Today the LBS called and said that they couldn't find it either, but when they replaced the rear wheel, it went away.  They're suggesting that I buy a new wheel.  However, all they have in stock is a real cheapy and a real high-end.  When I advised them that I have a Oly in 10 days, they advised that I call another shop, because they can't get me mid-level ($150) one that fast.  hmph.  I have a 2007 Specialized Allez.

Questions are....a) does this sound right?  They don't know what it is?
                       b) do I need a good wheel? How good?  Why?  I'll be borrowing race wheels for IMWI
                       c) what should this be costing me? 

Thanks!  I seem to be in the middle of a steep learning curve!

Could be a wheel. Borrow one from someone and go for a ride and see for yourself. If it goes away I guess they're right. If you need a new one check out some of the on-line bike shops (Performance, Nashbar, Pro Bike Kit) there are also some good wheels to be had for good prices at Neuvation and williams wheels.
2009-05-21 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2164875

User image

Master
How do I find our what I'm looking for in a wheel?  I don't need a racing wheel, just a regular wheel to train on and do 'C' races on.   Will any wheel do?   What will a price hike do for me?
2009-05-21 8:13 AM

If you need a new wheel and are looking for a good reliable all around wheel I suggest looking at a Mavic Open Pro w/ Shimano Ultegra Hub.

Here is a link to one at Performancebike.com

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19027&subcatego...

I have gottne stuff in 2 days from them.

2009-05-21 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I broke a rear wheel last Monday on a long ride. I ordered a replacement Mavic Ksyrium (medium priced training wheel) on Thursday from TriSports.com. I used the BT discount code and got 15% off plus free shipping and no sales tax. I got the wheel Monday morning (4-days). It was shipped via UPS Ground. I think I paid just a little over $150.

If you order it yourself, you'll get it in plenty of time, but you'll have to change over your cassette and may need to adjust brake / derailleur.
2009-05-21 10:22 AM

New user
Crystal Lake
Before buying a new wheel, have you tried the current wheel and making sure it is seated correctly and the skewer is tight enough? 

I has some noise on my bike that I couldn't figure out, then after taking my wheel off and putting it back on and making sure it was tight, the noise went away.

2009-05-21 10:49 AM

User image

New user
Eldersburg, MD
A bike shop that has only 2 wheels they could sell?  Hmmm...  That seems very odd... unless it's a 650c. 

If you take the wheel off the bike and spin it (hold it by the skewer), does it make the noise?  How about if you put a glove on, hold it by the cassette, and spin it? 

2009-05-21 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Tubular or clincher tire? (Tubulars can occasionally make a ticking sound where the glue is sticking and unsticking)

I don't know--I have a hard time with "Ah, we don't know what it is, or even if there IS a problem, so why don't you just throw it out and start over."

Is the noise repeatable? On the road and trainer? You and other riders? Did they try THAT wheel on another bike? Under a variety of conditions and load? Have you removed the tire and put it back on? Changed the tube? (if it's clincher) Is your magnet hitting something on the frame? Chain cleaned and lubed?

There are a bajillion things is COULD be...I just find it hard to believe the only solution they can come up with is "We don't know...just get a new one."

Edited by mmrocker13 2009-05-21 10:54 AM
2009-05-21 10:59 AM

Veteran

Almost every piece on a wheel is replaceable… If it’s a hub, spoke or rim you can buy each piece.  If the noise is coming from the center, it’s the hub most likely a slipped bearing or a spoke broke loose at the hub. Check every spoke at the point in which it enters the hub. Sometimes they are difficult to spot and don’t be afraid to poke and pull at the spokes. If you can’t find a broken spoke, then it’s the hub. Ask the shop to either replace the hub body or repack the bearings.

If the clicking sounds like it is around the rim, it’s most likely a cracked rim or a spoke that broke at the rim.  

2009-05-21 1:33 PM

Regular
Germantown, TN
I have the exact same bike, and my bike makes a sound similar to what you mentioned.  Usually happens after I take the back wheel off and put it back on with the skewer a little too tight.  I loosen the skewer one rotation and the noise ususally disappears.
2009-05-21 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2166389

Veteran
Portland, OR

drickamer - 2009-05-21 11:33 AM I have the exact same bike, and my bike makes a sound similar to what you mentioned.  Usually happens after I take the back wheel off and put it back on with the skewer a little too tight.  I loosen the skewer one rotation and the noise ususally disappears.

This is exactly what happens to the wheel I use on the trainer.  If I get it too tight it starts making a clicking noise.  I chased it for the longest time until one day I thought I might have the wheel clamped down too tight.  It went away completely. 

On a side note: I took the cassette off of the same wheel yesterday and the retainer that holds the axle fell out.  Apparently the set screw wasn't tightened.  Now I'm starting wonder if the skewer wasn't putting too much pressure on the bearings because the retainer wasn't locked down.  Might be something else to check...

2009-05-21 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2165842

User image

Master
mmrocker13 - 2009-05-21 8:53 AM Tubular or clincher tire? (Tubulars can occasionally make a ticking sound where the glue is sticking and unsticking) Clincher

I don't know--I have a hard time with "Ah, we don't know what it is, or even if there IS a problem, so why don't you just throw it out and start over."  Me, too, except that they were saying it WITHOUT trying to sell me a new one.

Is the noise repeatable? Yes On the road and trainer? Yes You and other riders? Yes  Did they try THAT wheel on another bike? Don't know Under a variety of conditions and load?  Well, me and other bikers?  Have you removed the tire and put it back on? Yes Changed the tube? (if it's clincherYes Is your magnet hitting something on the frame? Don't think so Chain cleaned and lubed? Yes

There are a bajillion things is COULD be...I just find it hard to believe the only solution they can come up with is "We don't know...just get a new one."
  I agree, but I have a race in 10 days and I'm stressing out!!!!   
2009-05-22 2:33 AM

User image

Kailua, Hi
Well it could be a couple of things... dont know the quality of the bike shop you use but these are then things that come to mind with a "clicking noise"
-if it happens all the time when pedaling and coasting sounds like a bearing or skewer too tight putting extra pressure on the bearings and ratching mech.
-if it only happens when coasting it is probably the ratching mech if the grease gets washed off of it, it can become louder than normal or click.
-if it clicks in a certain spot on the wheel when rider weight is on the bike and doesnt click on repairstand or just lifting the rear wheel off ground and pedaling then it could be a loose spoke, broken spoke nipple, cracked rim or hub.
I would say if it just makes a noise and has no other effect on performance it is a lack of lube some where in the hub, just check and make sure the wheel has no excessive side to side movement and if all that checks out good I would take it as a fluke and ride it till it no longer rolls.
2009-05-22 5:10 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Between your husband and tri friends can't you borrow a wheel instead of rushing to buy a new one?

If your group of tri friends are at all like me they have multiple bikes and have a bike sitting around they could let you borrow a wheel for a couple weeks.

I wouldn't get Mavic Open Pro wheels they are like tanks. I have it as my training power tap wheel.

Other Mavic wheels are a little more money but weigh less. I have Mavic Askium on all three of my main bikes as training wheels.

Trisports is good resource and you may want to call them and see what they recommmend. I found most everyone I talk to there has been good at recommending and advising me on what to get.

You may want to get same wheel as you have so they match but not necessary.

You will get a better deal shopping around and buying it on line than at a LBS usually.

I had an issue with my back wheel last year and brought it to 4 or 5 bikes shops before someone figured out the problem and fixed it.  It was my power tap training wheel so no option to buy a new one inexpensively.  The other places could figure out what was wrong but not how to fix it completely so the problem was solved.

Edited by KathyG 2009-05-22 5:12 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel help Rss Feed