General Discussion Triathlon Talk » open water swim places in southern CT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-25 9:05 AM

User image

Subject: open water swim places in southern CT
I live in Guilford and need suggestions on were to go for some good open water swims. For the most part I swim alone, but  would be interested in swimming with others so I would not have to swim alone.
Sue

2009-05-25 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2171552

User image

New Haven, CT
Subject: RE: open water swim places in southern CT

Hammonasset is a guarded beach with buoys and all that jazz which is a good option so you do have to "swim alone".  There will usually be someone posting to do OWS' weekly or so.  Some swim or tri clubs have regular OWS'  Good luck.

2009-05-26 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
We swim in Lake Quannipaug in Guilford, off Rte. 77.  Haven't been out there yet this year but do all our OWS there during the summer...nice place to swim, no motor boats allowed, just some occassional fisherman and a sectioned-off beach if you bring a family or friends while you're out there...
2009-05-26 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2173125

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
takeofftheskirt - 2009-05-26 10:46 AM We swim in Lake Quannipaug in Guilford, off Rte. 77.  Haven't been out there yet this year but do all our OWS there during the summer...nice place to swim, no motor boats allowed, just some occassional fisherman and a sectioned-off beach if you bring a family or friends while you're out there...

I live in Guilford too and have been meaning to swim in the lake.  Otherwise, I would just swim off the beach somewhere.  I grew up in Madison and used to swim to Tuxis island a long long time ago.  I've been thinking I'm going to try that too.  In general, in our area, there seems to be a number of different beaches to go out from.  I'd even do the Surf Club in Madison.
2009-05-26 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I grew up in Madison too..too chicken to swim to Tuxis but I'd just swim the barrels at the  Surf Club. You can buy a pass at Madison town hall as an out of towner. Not sure there is a decent stretch of beach on the sound in Guilford that is set up that way?..Keep your eyes open in the Ct forum. Im sure there will be people looking to group swim in the summer. I go with a variety of people on this side of the river (live in East Lyme), you are more than welcome to join in and we usually will post something when we go together.
2009-05-26 7:47 PM

User image

I live in Madison as well and am looking for open water swim partners. I usually swim in Cockaponset lake in Chester - - clean water and no boats. I would be willing to try other areas as it's getting to be that time of year and I am itching to get out of the pool. I swam off Hammonesst last year, but the tide gets pretty strong if you don't time it right and the jellyfish were pretty thick last summer. Suggestions? Invitations? Is it too cold to go in yet? My first tri is June 13 so I am ready to take the plunge.

2009-06-06 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2173125

When you swim in Lake Quonnipaug where do you go? I have a pass there for this summer and it would be nice to to some OWS while we are there.
2010-06-07 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Resurrecting this thread... Looking for anyone who is interested in some OWS. I need some OWS practice.
Does anyone know of any organized OWS in the S. CT area?
I'm in Orange, but willing to travel some.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » open water swim places in southern CT Rss Feed