United States
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 20s
Overall Rank = 42/200
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

It was dang early (5:45am) when we headed from the hotel towards the tri site about thirty minutes away. My wife and I had clif bars and bananas to eat and water/gatorade to drink. After getting lost, we came squealing into the Claremore Recreation Center at about 6:45am. Lots of stress and lots of rushing awaited us. Fortunately, Mr. Trist (race director) helped us out and we got our numbers, shirts, race belts, and such lickety-split (thanks Trist!).
Event warmup:

Since we were running extremely late, I barely had time to jump in and out of the water. What that means is... no warmup.
Swim
  • 05m 58s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was pretty crappy. I listed my time as though it was a yard pool, but it was in fact a meter pool. I probably should have added a few seconds so I wouldn't have been passed.
What would you do differently?:

Warmup! Also, I would have clarified the ending a bit more as I swam an extra lap in error.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

We had to run about 1/4 of a mile to get to the transition area (barefoot) and it counted towards our time. I got the splits for the events, but I don't remember the t1/t2 times.

Bring something to sit on. I'm not too flexible as it is, but when I just swam and the blood is rushing to my head, bending over to put the socks on was doubly difficult.
Bike
  • 37m 20s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first tri with a bike that actually went outside (see my other race), so I was very excited to see how I stacked-up on real terrain. There was this hill about 1/2 mile into the bike that kicked me in the rear and slapped me in the face. I managed to pass someone without coming out of the saddle, so I felt pretty good about things. I'm amazed by the great sportsmanship in this sport. As I passed that dude up the hill, all we said were encouraging words to one another, like "stay in that saddle!" or "I see the crest, you got it!" Great stuff. Anyhow, the rest of the bike was on this straight road with some rolling hills. I passed a couple of people and got passed by some dudes in their superbikes. All in all, I was pretty satisfied with the ride as a whole.

I really need to get better at those climbs. I think some good distance training ought to do the trick.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Great transition! Got the gloves/helmet off, took a swig of water, and slipped on the sneaks. Gotta love those race laces!

Maybe have the gloves off before I get to my parking spot. Otherwise, not too much time could be shave from this transition.
Run
  • 15m 38s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I think the first "half" of the run was a little shorter than the second. I felt as though I ran pretty slow off the bike, like I do in most of my BRICK workouts, so I can't imagine running too fast of a split. My goal was to get under an hour, so I kept looking at my watch to try and pace myself. When I got back to the start/finish area, I had 53 minutes on the watch and I thought it was within reach. Yeah, it was far from reach - over two minutes in fact.

Well, since this was my biggest area for improvement, I wouldn't change a thing except do more of the same.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, stretch a bit, talk to the in-laws, and wait for the Mrs. to come around the bend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The extra lap on the swim and the rough ride back after the turnaround. Next is an Oly-distance tri, so I better shape-up!

Event comments:

Lots of volunteers, but the confusion in the transition areas seemingly overwhelmed them. In one instance, a guy took off in the wrong direction for about 100 yards before someone finally cought him to turn him around. Other than that, the vols were great.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:58 | 400 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 16/200
Performance: Average
Suit: trisuit
Course: Snake swim, but it ended uniquely... you had to wade out of a walk-in section of the pool after the swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:20 | 12 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 0/200
Wind: Some
Course: Believe it or not, there are in fact hills in Oklahoma! They weren't too bad on the way out - except for the one in the beginning, but the way back was horrible. The hills mixed with the headwind proved a worthy foe.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:38 | 02 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/200
Course: 1/2 mile in one direction on winding running path, then back and another 1/2 mile in the other direction and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes