General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie training for a sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-18 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
Subject: Newbie training for a sprint
Hi,

I thought I would introduce myself.

I am a 26-year old guy from Raleigh, North Carolina.

For the past four years--ever since finishing a 100-km mountain biking ride in the mountains--I have been carrying around 10-15 extra pounds of flab. Mountain biking and running, while keeping me in check an not letting my weight get out of control, were done on haphazard basis, which is obviously not a good way to keep in shape.

I've been intrigued by triathlons for several years now, but never actually pursued the sport in any meaningful way. That is until last week a friend at work mentioned that his wife was doing a triathlon: a sprint.

It had never occurred to me that a triathlon could be anything but an Olympic distance event, which requires prohibitively more time than I would be willing to dedicate to training.

Presented with the existence of a sprint, I am now on a 17-week training plan for the August 14th event at Chapel Hill.

Many thanks to everyone for creating this site. It has been a great place to help jump-start my training.

-MTBonker

2005-04-18 8:18 AM
in reply to: #143851

New user

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Subject: RE: Newbie training for a sprint
Welcome MT! Good luck in your training. I am also new but there is plenty of helpfull information on this site for you to use. The people here are great and they are all willing to lend advice and/or support. Agin, Welcome and have fun

heartnurse1
2005-04-18 4:10 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome to BT! good luck in training for your event....you'll be addicted soon enough
2005-04-18 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Welcome! There are several members in the Raleigh area. You might find some of them at your race!

I'm down the road a bit in Wilmington.
2005-04-18 8:51 PM

New user

Hey, I'm a newbie training for a sprint, too!

I'm not a 26 year old guy from NC, though... I'm a 34 year old girl from Chicago!

I actually did a sprint 5 years ago, but I feel like I am starting right from the beginning. For the past few years, I have just been running 5ks, and now I'm back!
2005-04-19 7:00 AM
in reply to: #144265

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
Thanks everyone for a warm welcome.

Right now I am looking forward to every training session, and hope it remains that way. It feels so good to have a goal. That's something I haven't really had in years.

Leelah, best of luck in your training. Sounds like you got one of the four disciplines down.

2005-04-19 5:36 PM

User image

Regular
Apex NC
Yes! another for NC. Not doing that race but my first sprint will be the Triangle.. Not a 26 year old, but 44 and still kicking..Down the road a bit in Apex Welcome and keep us posted..
2005-04-20 6:27 AM
in reply to: #144820

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
Doing the Triangle, eh? Then I'll be there cheering you on. I am planning to come watch how it all comes together and watch what people do in transitions.

On another note... It amazes me that the swim is held at lake Crabtree. On the other hand, every year people swim 28.5 miles of the Hudson river around Manhattan in the MIMS.

Swimming is my weakest links, so I am starting slow and safe in the pool.

Good luck to you!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie training for a sprint Rss Feed