General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First timer times for mini Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-27 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Subject: First timer times for mini
I'm registering for my first triathlon in August.  As part of the registration, I need to input an approximate finishing time.  The race consists of a 750 m open water swim, 20k bike (flat), and 5 k run.  My 5k is about 30 mins, but I can't estimate the other two.  My goal is to finish alive.

Any conservative thoughts from those of you more experienced?

2009-05-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2175265

Subject: RE: First timer times for mini

fleetfeet_ch - 2009-05-27 10:28 AM I'm registering for my first triathlon in August.  As part of the registration, I need to input an approximate finishing time.  The race consists of a 750 m open water swim, 20k bike (flat), and 5 k run.  My 5k is about 30 mins, but I can't estimate the other two.  My goal is to finish alive.

Any conservative thoughts from those of you more experienced?

That distance is a standard Sprint. I wouldn't consider it a "mini" triathlon. A Sprint is a "full" distance. It's just not an Ironman distance (which is not the "full" triathlon).

Look up the times from last year's race and that will give you an idea. It depends on a lot of things - the terrain, the weather, where your strengths and weaknesses are, etc. There's no one right answer to this question. If your goal is only to finish alive, then there's no real need to worry about times.

2009-05-27 9:39 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Why can't you estimate the other two?  Take a look at what you're doing in training and enter that or do the math (so if you're only cycling 10k right now double what you're doing there, same with swim).  Add a few minutes for your transition.  It doesn't need to be exact but I'm guessing you'll want to be conservative so you don't get put in a wave where everyone takes off really fast and you feel left in the dust. 
2009-05-27 9:40 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Try to time yourself for a 750 m swim (preferrably OWS if accessible, otherwise a non-stop 750 ppol swim would be good), and a 20 k  stand alone bike ride.  Add a few minutes for transitions.  That'll give you a good estimate. 
2009-05-27 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: RE: First timer times for sprint race
Welcome to the sport.
Most races give you the ability to look at last year's results, and also to see the results for your sex & age group.

About 30 mins for a 5 k run is about 10 minute miles.  You will probably be slower at your Tri, perhaps a minute or two slower, depending on your conditioning.  Thus, maybe figure 33-36 minutes for that portion.
With that as a guide, take a look at your age group bracket to see times in swim & bike for others with run times of 33-36 total minutes.
A guess would be a bike time 55-60 minutes, and a swim time of 20-25 minutes.  (Trying to be on the conservative side.)

But, these are just ways of guessing, you need to have some benchmarks to truly forecast.  Such as swimming 250m at the YMCA pool in 9 minutes, or riding an indoor bike for 20 minutes and 5 miles.  Things like that will help you better forecast times.  And, which of the three events you are strongest in and which will be your most difficult.
2009-05-27 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2175272

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
And here I've learned something already!  Thank you wurkit_gurl and everyone else. 

This is the "smallest" triathlon one can enter as an adult here in Switzerland, so I thought it was a mini.  The rules of this tri say that I can't be in the water longer than 20 mins.  As of today's training, I am already too slow.  I've looked at last year's times and the slowest person in my age group was in the water 19:28 with a bike of 54:00 and a 5k of 36:00.  I'm an experienced runner and I'm doing 10k races on a regular basis.  I've just started training for a triathlon so all of this information is very helpful.  Thanks again.

2009-05-27 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2175818

fleetfeet_ch - 2009-05-27 12:43 PM And here I've learned something already!  Thank you wurkit_gurl and everyone else. 

This is the "smallest" triathlon one can enter as an adult here in Switzerland, so I thought it was a mini.  The rules of this tri say that I can't be in the water longer than 20 mins.  As of today's training, I am already too slow.  I've looked at last year's times and the slowest person in my age group was in the water 19:28 with a bike of 54:00 and a 5k of 36:00.  I'm an experienced runner and I'm doing 10k races on a regular basis.  I've just started training for a triathlon so all of this information is very helpful.  Thanks again.

There are 4 basic distances for triathlon. Sprint, Olympic, Half Ironman and Ironman. The latter 3 are standardized (though sometimes you see things in between a sprint and an Olympic), while the Sprint often has the most variation. However, 750 m swim, 20K bike and 5K run is "standard". It depends on the venue. Since triathlon is becoming popular, there ARE a lot of new, tiny races called "minis" - usually well below the distances of what is normally billed as a Sprint - like 250 meters in a pool, a really short bike and a 1-2 mile run or so - those are just estimates.

Sounds like they want to keep the race really small - 20 minute cut off for 750 swim! I've never done a sprint with really strict cut-off times.

2009-05-27 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
It wouldn't surprise me if there were limits.  It's hard to "close off" sections of the city and the lakes for the big races.  You can imagine what the Ironman Zurich does to our downtown!  I'm having to translate all of the regulations, so it could be that I have misunderstood.  I'd better get a fluent German or French speaker to read everything for me before I register.  Ahhh...wouldn't it be nice to do something in my own language for once (she says after living here for more than 10 years...) Laughing  Excuses, excuses.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First timer times for mini Rss Feed