General Discussion Race Reports! » LA Weight Loss 10k (Calgary Marathon Race Weekend) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LA Weight Loss 10k (Calgary Marathon Race Weekend) - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 1557/1853
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 131/164
Pre-race routine:

2 days before I started eating chicken, rice and vegetables and eating very clean. Getting lots of rest two days before, plus a nap the day before the run.
In the morning I got up at 5, had a shower, made myself a hard boiled egg with whole grain toast with 2 cups of black coffee. My stomach was not flopping like it was on my first run.
Was out the door at 6:20. Late for the race due to the contrustion on the c-train line.
Worked pretty good for me!
Event warmup:

None - no time, we got off the train and the gun went off. The train was late - took us over an hour to get there by train due to the construction and having to switch trains 2x.

Run
  • 1h 14m 49s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 29s  min/km
Comments:

I hit my goal - running non-stop at a good pace and still finishing strong.
Felt good the entire run!

Definitely the last half of the race was faster for me. Three of us stayed together until the last half and then we sort-of went at our own paces. I was on my own for the last 3K which was good, I was able to keep a faster pace for the final 3K.

I'll have to be more conscious of my pace on the final 5K next year, the marathoners and 1/2 marathoners pace was very fast and I found myself going faster once the courses joined at 14th street. Which is not a bad thing, just have to remember to take it fairly easy on the first 5, cuz the last 5 will be faster!

What would you do differently?:

Do a warm up and a little more training and prep beforehand so that I can beat the hour mark.

Post race
Warm down:

Got home and stretched and had a protein smoothie with a bunch of water.
After stretching the ice bags came out! Just for preventative measures, and the tear I felt on the Forzani Run came back to haunt me after the 1/2 was point today. So I iced that immediately when I got home. Feels fine now (10 hrs later), but I think I'll ice again before bed. Thought that was all healed, guess not.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Needed more training - on a whim entered the 10K on the Friday before the race, so would like to train a little more on this distance before trying again.

Event comments:

Since we were late, we missed the congestion at the starting line, so that was fortunate because it seemed like everyone was just coralled in.

At the finish line, there were a lot of people hanging around in the shute area and a lot of non-runners just outside of the shute so it was hard to know where to go and find liquid (in my oxygen deprived state - all I thought about was ... 'where is the water?????') and with so many people standing around the gatorade tables it was tough to navigate through. The gatorade stand was too close to the finish line, so there was a mass of people there.

Other than that it was a great run, the volunteer's where great, the course was flat and easy - and as a first timer, I would definitely recommend it to anyone and will absolutely be back next year!

Last updated: 2009-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:14:49 | 10 kms | 07m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 131/164
Overall: 1557/1853
Performance: Good
Course: Flat - slight hill at the end from Edmonton Trail up to Bridgeland, but not a big hill, just hard cuz it's right at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-01 12:57 PM

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: LA Weight Loss 10k (Calgary Marathon Race Weekend)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LA Weight Loss 10k (Calgary Marathon Race Weekend) Rss Feed