General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When should I race first? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-04 12:57 PM

User image

Subject: When should I race first?
I recently decided I wanted to try a sprint triathlon.  I have no background in any of the three areas apart from riding my bike to work occasionally. 

Since making this decision I have done as much research as possible.  More importantly, I have gotten off of my lazy but.  I have a basic workout program that I've started this week and I feel comfortable with it so far.  Swimming will be my biggest challenge.  Right now I can only free 75 yards or so without feeling like I'm going to die.  I plan to swim 3 times a week and am modifying the 0 to 1650 program to fit where I am now (can't complete the exercises at this point). 

I know I can finish the biking and running portions.  My question is this.....What would be a good first race for me?  I have a somewhat busy summer schedule in terms of travel so my weekend options are limited.  I was thinking of the Midwest Mayhem on July 19th.  Is this reasonable?  I think a bit later in the summer would be ideal but I'd probably have to wait until September with my schedule and I'm not that patient!!!!

Going even crazier, would attempting the the Tinman on June 20th be advisable if my swimming progresses?

Side note.....I've picked up a vibe that KLM is not well liked.  Are these events poorly run and should I avoid them? 

What's the deal between races that are or are not sanctioned?  Will a newbie like me care either way?  Thanks!  Can't wait to get my butt kicked!

2009-06-04 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2195157

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: When should I race first?
Hi, and welcome to BT and triathlons!!

While I think Topeka Tinman is an excellent beginners course (the swim is only 300yd, the shortest I've ever seen), I honestly am not sure you'd have enough time to feel comfortable in the open water. The race is 16 days away, to put it in perspective.

Mayhem would be more realistic, and even an August or September race would be safer depending on your swim progress. I'd highly recommend practicing swimming in a lake (open water) since it's completely different than the pool. That might give you a better indication of how 'ready' you are swim-wise.

As for KLM... I have personally chosen not to participate in any of their races this year (MAYBE one) because I have been unhappy with their event management. I gave them three years of my race registration fees before coming to this decision. Don't get me wrong, I don't want ANY local races to fail; but it's really something you'll just have to experience on your own and decide.

2009-06-04 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Olathe
mcfc57 - 2009-06-04 12:57 PM I recently decided I wanted to try a sprint triathlon.  I have no background in any of the three areas apart from riding my bike to work occasionally. 

Since making this decision I have done as much research as possible.  More importantly, I have gotten off of my lazy but.  I have a basic workout program that I've started this week and I feel comfortable with it so far.  Swimming will be my biggest challenge.  Right now I can only free 75 yards or so without feeling like I'm going to die.  I plan to swim 3 times a week and am modifying the 0 to 1650 program to fit where I am now (can't complete the exercises at this point). 

I know I can finish the biking and running portions.  My question is this.....What would be a good first race for me?  I have a somewhat busy summer schedule in terms of travel so my weekend options are limited.  I was thinking of the Midwest Mayhem on July 19th.  Is this reasonable?  I think a bit later in the summer would be ideal but I'd probably have to wait until September with my schedule and I'm not that patient!!!!

Going even crazier, would attempting the the Tinman on June 20th be advisable if my swimming progresses?

Side note.....I've picked up a vibe that KLM is not well liked.  Are these events poorly run and should I avoid them? 

What's the deal between races that are or are not sanctioned?  Will a newbie like me care either way?  Thanks!  Can't wait to get my butt kicked!

I am in the very same boat you are in, I have been road cycling for about a year.  My long rides on the weekends are usually 3+ hours, but as far as running and swimming, not so much.  I can run 2 miles in 22 minutes fairly easily but swimming is, well not so good.

I am shooting for the Octomax race in August down in Paola at Hillsdale Lake.  Here is the website: http://www.ultramaxtri.com/races/umaxkansas/race_info.php./>
If you want a training partner, give me a shout.  If my schedule fits, I would love to have someone to help push and push me with a common goal.

Husker
2009-06-05 8:59 AM

User image

It does sound like we are in similar boats except your biking is stronger than mine no doubt!  I live in Olathe as well so training together at times might work out great.

I really wanted the Ultramax to be my first tri but I have a wedding the night before in Wichita.  Doubt I'll be in prime condition early the next morning. 

Where do you go on your long rides?  Do you do group rides or head out on your own?  I'll be training and racing on my Kona Jake the Snake Cyclocross bike.  Not ideal but it could be worse I guess.
2009-06-05 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2196903

User image

Veteran
Olathe
mcfc57 - 2009-06-05 8:59 AM It does sound like we are in similar boats except your biking is stronger than mine no doubt!  I live in Olathe as well so training together at times might work out great.

I really wanted the Ultramax to be my first tri but I have a wedding the night before in Wichita.  Doubt I'll be in prime condition early the next morning. 

Where do you go on your long rides?  Do you do group rides or head out on your own?  I'll be training and racing on my Kona Jake the Snake Cyclocross bike.  Not ideal but it could be worse I guess.

I usually either head south to Gardner/199th st or I will head west toward Kill Creek Park, west and north of Gardner.  I don't do group rides, I just never have. 

Where do you do your swimming at?  I go to Olathe to the YMCA, usually in the AM.  Most of my long rides or runs happen on the weekends and my midweek training is after I get off of work at 9PM.  I won't be riding this weekend probably, my parents are in town to see the grandkids, so if I ride it will be sometime on Sunday, but I really need to spend it in the pool instead.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When should I race first? Rss Feed