UK Triathlon Forum England » London Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-04 3:11 PM

User image

New user

Subject: London Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread
Is anyone planning on completing this event? Any tips or tricks from past events?

2009-06-17 5:02 AM
in reply to: #2195569

New user

Subject: RE: London Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread
Hello, we are both in the same situation. I just signed up for this but not sure if I made a mistake or not.
I am doing between 100 to 150km per week between cycling and running plus swimming every day 1500 mts at lunch time but I do this without any program or guidance. I have completed several half marathons and one full marathon but still not sure... is this enough, will all the people taking part in this event experienced professionals or will it be room for us to do it in a slow time??
2009-06-22 3:02 AM

New user

This is my 1st attempt too. Last time I competed in Tri's was in 1997, where I took part in the Energade Sprint Series in South Africa. I have recently joined a local tri club which has been a tremendous help, particularly in my swimming (which was always one of my poorest disciplines in the tri's). Yesterday was the first time in the saddle in over 12 years for me and completed 20 miles in 01:05:49. This is however by no means enough mileage for the London tri (Olympis Distance).

Needless to say, this year I am merely taking part in the London Tri for the experience and getting back into it, with which I am planning on really training during the rest of the year for this event next year to seriously compete with the age groupers.

Log onto the Mazda London Traithlon website for all the tips and tricks, FAQ's, maps of last years race and all things nice. There is a ton of information available which I am really taking note of.

http://www.thelondontriathlon.co.uk/
2009-06-22 3:22 AM

New user

Thanks for replying. Your level of fitness sounds fabulous. Where did you do the cycling? how did you manage to do 20miles without stoping on traffic?
2009-06-25 1:53 AM
in reply to: #2233064

New user

You may also want to purchase the July Edition of 220 Triathlon. On sale 30th June. They are having a special section there purely on the London Triathlon for this year. So I would assume all your questions may be answered.

My TT cycle route is from Crawley to Earlswood along the A23. Only slow part are the roundabouts, but if you hit the traffic lights just right, then minimal slowing down required. On the odd occasion I have had to slow or stop for the red traffic lights at the round abouts, so I can safely say that if it was a race route, with marshalls, it would be a lot quicker.

I hope this has helped you.

Cheers,

Sean
2009-06-25 2:03 AM
in reply to: #2223297

New user

Hi Dario,

The one nice thing about triathlons is the comraderie. No-one is going to blast you for taking a little slower than anyone else. Just finshing a race is an achievement on it's own merits.

By the sounds of it, it seems that you are training sufficiently. Not sure if you are doing the Sprint on the Saturday or the Olympic on the Sunday. However, I am assuming you are doing the spint and if so, it seems as if the distances you are doing are more than ample.

What you would want to concentrate on over the 4 weeks leading to the race is, building on your speed and endurance work, as it seems that you have built up on the maintenance side already by doing a fair amount of distance.

Perform fartlek sessions once a week with the running (between lamp posts initially, then build up to 30 second and then 1 minutes sprints), similarly for the bike sessions (begin with 20 second bursts with 1 minutes easy, and then build up the sprint bursts to 1 minutes too - do about 10 to 20 of these in one bike session once a week).

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Sean

2009-06-25 5:11 AM
in reply to: #2241609

New user

Thanks a lot for all this guys, I do appreciate it. I know what you mean about finishing the race and considering this as an achievement but it is in my nature to at least try to do as best as i can.
I know it is very likely i will be in the last positions but you always keep that little hope to surprise yourself.

I will definitely try the fartlek as of from today. I am doing the Olymic distance, perhaps a mistake but i am here just to learn from my mistakes and improve.
Thanks
dario 

2009-07-02 8:09 AM

New user

Well, hey there. I am doing the Olympic distance too, kewl......

I have been plagued with Achilles problems for the last 2 months and have done minimal road running and attempted some treadmill work with only 10-15 minutes runs. So I believe this is going to be my problem on the tri and not the swim - T1 - bike - T2 areas......

This last weekend did an indoor brick session - 45 minute spinning class and then straight onto the treadmill for 10 minutes - and it felt so good with no jelly legs effect. I guess this was due to setting my seat in the 78 degree position on the spin bike.

However, my swimming is at this moment my strong point as I have been training with a tri club and we had a serious session last night with some intervals 100 - 200 - 300 - 400 - 300 - 200 - 100 and then 400 at race pace - amongst drill setc etc. But I must admit that the intervals do give you a good indication of what you could expect from the 1500 metre race for the London Tri.

On the weekend - Sunday - I cycled 42 miles to get some long distance training for a change and only on the last 5 miles did I feel the gas run out of the legs....nevertheless, it taught me how much extra fluids to take on the bike for the distance and time (2 hr 40 min) and not just one bottle and in future to take some bananas with to eat on the way....

I guess this is how we learn......

BTW, have you purchased the latest 220 triathlon magazine?

2009-07-02 10:30 AM

New user

No never bought the 220 Tri magazine but I am told that it is good.

I am very disappointed actually; yesterday doing fartlek training I was running and sprinting as fast as possible. I was feeling perfect, no pains on knees or muscles and suddenly I felt a pain on my hamstring. I don’t think it is a major tear because I can still cycle to work today but I definitely feel a pain and if I try to stretch or when I touch the area it increases.

Quite disappointed for this. I hope this does not prevent me from doing the triathlon that will be a major blow

2009-08-19 6:39 AM

New user

Hey how did it go??

I finished in 2hours and 44 minutes but wasted too much time on T1 and 2, about 14 minutes in total, I could have had a cup of tea!! I had also loads of problems with my eyes due to the anti fog solution I use for my goggles but it was a good experience. Will do the Windsor one at the end of this month so we shall see.

The "official times" were

Swim 28 min

Bike 1h11min

Run 50min

Good luck and regards

dario

2009-12-20 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Are wetsuits always legal in this race?  Is the swim in the river in central London? What is the normal water temp in August?  I'm moving back to London next month and may think about doing this race this year.

Cheers

2010-01-03 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Its in the queen victoria dock, its up and down the dock i believe. I may be entering this as a relay team this year: )
2010-01-03 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I am thinking of coming over and doing this race this summer.....totally under discussion....need a London fix...it has been a couple of years!  And spectating the ITU will be fantastic.
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » London Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed