Set-up, Inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 41s
Overall Rank = 200/380
Age Group = Master Clydsdle
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, bananna, gatorade, oatmeal. drove to race site, uneventful, 10th person there and unpacked.
Event warmup:

I ran, slow and fast, for about 1 mile. Swam ~ 100 yards.
Swim
  • 33m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started at the back side left as not to get run over. Managed well on this part. My goal was to not push to hard as this was my first 1 mile swim. Thankfully it was wetsuit legal. I veered off to the right several times and had to come back left to get back with the group. The swim went well even though I probably cost myself an additional overall 2 minutes due to my bad sighting and pulling right. I was please that I was not tired at all when I came out of the water although my legs were weak when I went to stand up.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting and see what's up with me pulling harder to the right that makes me go off course. Learn to not be reliant on a wetsuit. Just be a better faster swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I was a little week legged when I came out of the water but I did jog up the hill into T1.

Overall I did ok, just need stronger legs out of the water.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I had my time up down to 1;08 in practice but just didn't get it done after swimming a mile, all the while thinking I had a 6 mile run next. I paced myself but at time found I was weak on the slight uphills. On down hills I caught up to folks but the got a greater distance on me when we hit uphill. This was not one of my better rides. I just did not have it. I was passed by about 30 folks. Given, I was at the front of the waves on the swim putting strong bikers coming up behind me.

More time on the bike. Hill drills. Speed work. Aero training. And for God sakes , when can I buy that Tri Bike!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I did my first dismount getting out of shoes on the bike. I did it perfectly and then was blocked by 2 guys unclipping at the mat, and they had the tri bikes! I waited for them and then ran past. I had my new Kayano 15's but I did not put speed laces in and I did not wear socks in the bike shoes. I had to put on socks and then lace up the new shoes. Kissed my wife and then ran off.

I will put my speed laces in and learn to run in my shoes without socks. FASTER!!! I guess I better still kiss my wife!
Run
  • 1h 03m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

My old strength, my current weakness. I got crushed on the run. Had to walk 4-6x for about 30-60 seconds. Just out of gas. I do think it was a little mental issue involved here. I probably could have run harder but I was concerned with finishing. Right at the end I kept wqtching my time and was determind to finish under 3 hours, so the last 1.5 miles I picked it up but did walk for 30 seconds and then finished hard. Frankly, I talked myself out of running harder.

More running for endurance. The PF is a concern but I just ned to get more drills and distance in.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching. Walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My overall endurance was a major factor.

Event comments:

I liked the open country for the bike. The event was well organized and the volunteers were extremely helpful and abundant!

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:41 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 195/380
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleevless
Course: Inverted Triangle, Counter Clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:39 | 24.85 miles | 19.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 140/380
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Flat slightly rolling
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:03:35 | 06.21 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 238/380
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back 2 x. Flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: Kerr Lake Triathlon

2009-06-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2200765

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Kerr Lake Triathlon
Nice job on the swim, that Jordan lake group must be helping some. Even though you did not have your best day ever on the bike, you still did pretty good. Just think, not long ago if someone had asked you would you take 19.5mph on a pretty rolling bike course as your bad day, you might have answered that is my good day. Not that we have spent any time together but from when we 1st got in touch round April 12th to now your biking has improved leaps and bounds. The Tri bike won't be to far away and then you are going to be flying.
Good job out there. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake Triathlon Rss Feed