General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jackson, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 39s
Overall Rank = 66/309
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/29
Pre-race routine:

Since my family and I were driving down to High Falls State Park (HFSP), routine was just to pack the car the night before to be ready to go.

I woke up at 0430, took a shower, then went downstairs to make oatmeal and eat a banana. I woke up wife at 0450 and we left the house by 0515.
Event warmup:

Arrived at HFSP, registered and racked bike, then WU. No real heavy WU, as I was helping watch the kids. I jogged in place and stretched.

5 minutes before the swim, I got into the water and thought, "this is 80 degrees?!" It felt colder to me, but my opinion doesn't really matter. :)
Swim
  • 13m 54s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

I positioned myself in the middle of the pack, but then backed off a few so that I was in front of the back 1/4. I know swimming is my biggest weakness, and I didn't want to put myself in a position where I'd make it harder by positioning myself right in the middle of that "cycle".

Swim was fine. I started off trying to get into a rythem and found it. Then I concentrated on the things I had worked on in Master's class. Much better swim this time than last.

I have to say, this is the most physical swim I've ever been a part of. Maybe it's b/c I wasn't in the back of the back this time. I was there in it. At the 300-400 meter mark, I was still jockeying for position with some fellow "blue cappers".

I brought it in and just ran out hard, passing some walkers.

Overall swim felt pretty good. I know this is what I have to work on the most.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I positioned myself exactly where I needed to be for my ability.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Definitely not my fastest T1...I took my time today. I wanted to make sure everything was good to go. I could have easily cut off 30 seconds if I would have hustled more. I just wanted to have a good ride and I figured the extra few seconds would enable me to do that.

Do the hustle!
Bike
  • 41m 12s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 19.51 mile/hr
Comments:

For me, this was the funnest part of the race. This is my second race using a road bike and I just felt much more comfortable racing knowing how my bike rides, shifts, brakes, and corners.

I decided early on that I was going to attempt 20mph while maintaining a high cadence. I was going to let my cardio do the work for me. Very good idea.

Since I'm a slow swimmer, I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me. I just kept the cadence up and attacked the hills the best I could. I started to catch up to cyclists, then pass them. WOOOHOOOOO!

I kept picking cyclists out in front of me, upping pace to catch/pass, then do it again. Surprisingly, I was only passed by 8-10 cyclists total. Half of those were Cervelos. As I was passing one d00d on a Specialized bike, I mentioned that I "hated" cervelos. We both laughed, as best as we could since we were going uphill while watching a Cervelo that had just passed us.

I had a huge scare at mile 9. I was so concerned with high cadence that I was not moving around much on the seat. Well, at one point, I "positioned" myself and was shocked when I couldn't feel the "twig and berries". I was so numb, I could not feel a single thing. I know this cost me big, since at that point I didn't care about the race anymore and just stood up and cycled. I did this for a good 3-4 minutes until the blood flow was back to normal. That probably cost me my 20mph average.

At mile 12, the first female (or so I thought) cyclist passed me. I got right on her tail, about 4 lengths back and just followed her for a minute. I was not going to let her beat me to the finish. Doesn't really matter, though, since she was 2 waves back (?) on the swim, so that meant she was at least 6 minutes faster than I was at this point.

The last mile, I passed her and didn't see her again.

I have owned a road bike for 6 months now. That should be enough time to be a 20mph cyclist. I just need to ride more.

That being said, I'm extremely happy with my effort and know that all I need is more time in the saddle. This is the first time I have ever felt "competitive" on the bike and it made for a much more enjoyable experience.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

I almost bit it at the dismount. I couldn't unclip left foot and when I dismounted, foot unclipped at the last minute. I almost bit it hard!

I ran hard and racked my bike, put on Newton's and was out.

This transition area was shaped like a rectangle. It was a long run through it.

Just run faster! :)
Run
  • 20m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

As I started my run, I was thinking that I didn't feel bad, but I didn't feel great, either. I just started running at a semi hard pace. I passed a lot of runners in the first mile.

Middle of the first mile, I saw the top racers coming in. Man, they were hauling! Behind the, the other top racers were starting to trickle in. I saw one female and thought, "how the heck did she pass me on the bike and I not notice?" Sometimes, it's hard to tell when serious female athletes have got toner, more muscular butts/legs than most guys.

At the mid point, I grabbed a cup, took a sip, and dumped the rest of the water on my head. That refreshed me and stepped it up.

The rest of the race was just a push to the finish. I passed ppl and was never passed once. I kept expecting that 55+ year old to pass me, but it never happened.

A quarter of a mile before the end, I started really picking it up and spotted a few ppl that I wanted to pass before the end. As I was running up on them, the crowd started yelling at them that I was coming in hot. They started to pick it up, but I caught them easily. One guy hung for a few seconds (which seemed like an eternity), but I kept up the pace and finished 10-15 seconds ahead of him.

Train more on hills, up run volume, and do some speedwork.

Pretty happy with this run. It was tough, especially since the bike and run course were hilly.
Post race
Warm down:

Met family at the finish line, checked time and was disappointed that I was in the 1:17 range. I guess it just takes time to start being a competitive AGer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim is definitely my limiting fact. I also need to speed up my cycling just a bit. I'm not going to complain, though. You don't get fast overnight, or even in one year. I feel like I have come a LONG way in 11 months that I have been training for triathlons. Another year or two, and I'm hoping to be a competitive AGer.

Event comments:

Very good race. The only thing I didn't like was the parking, which was about half a mile from the race start. Luckily, we brought the red wagon and piled the three kids in there.

Swag was ok. Shirt looks almost the same as the John Tanner one, minus the ink coloring.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:54 | 600 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/309
Performance: Average
I put on my Garmin HR monitor under my suit. First time I've ever worn it for a swim. I left the Garmin inside my helmet. I didn't want to fiddle around trying to put the monitor on after a swim.
Suit: DeSoto Liftfoil Speedsuit
Course: Counterclockwise "square" We had to swim out approx 250m, take a hard left for a short distance, then a short left, followed by another hard left, then brought it home. More like a pentagon shape.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:12 | 13.4 miles | 19.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/309
Performance: Good
Garmin had me at 13.64 for 41:12. Avg HR was 164, which is pushing it for me. Avg Cadence was 80rpm.
Wind: Some
Course: Course was hilly. It seemed like I was climbing for most of this ride. Lots of rollers that reminded me of stairs. Climb up one, little downhill, climb up another longer one, little downhill, etc.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:32 | 03.1 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/29
Overall: 14/309
Performance: Good
1 6:42 2 6:49 3 6:40 4 0:52
Course: Hilly, winding road through a neighborhood? Not sure. Houses along the side of the road with some pretty good hills. You run out, hit a water point, then turn around and run it in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 8:16 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park

2009-06-08 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2201449

User image

Powder Springs, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park

Great job out there, dood!

2009-06-08 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2201534

User image

Elite
SE
the D00d is a very bad man!

numb twigs and berries haha
2009-06-08 3:38 PM

User image

Lawrenceville, GA

Congrats on your race.  I hope I was one of the Cervelos that you cursed.     I agree that the bike course was a bit on the difficult side.  Good luck with the rest of your year!

2009-06-08 4:31 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
d00d,

Nice race and great report as usual.  You did the right thing with the twig and berries - gotta keep things in perspective.  Strong finish with the run. 

Mike
2009-06-11 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia
Well done and a strong run & bike!  The swim will come just keep working and you will be AG in no time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park Rss Feed