General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Dimas, California
United States
Tri Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 49s
Overall Rank = 75/299
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/26
Pre-race routine:

Regular breakfast 2:15 prior to scheduled start. Drive to venue. I was just dead from the moment that alarm went off. Not sure why, but I couldn't get the cobwebs out.
Event warmup:

First time I did a brief swim warmup, only about 100m. Not sure if it helped.
Swim
  • 23m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt like cr@p on the swim. Don't know what the deal was, but I really felt bad pretty much the entire time. On the back half of the course past the second turn, I just found another guy in my group and settled in to draft the whole way back. That was a good move.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I just awakened feeling like a zombie, and it took quite a while to shake it off.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

When I came out of the water, I was barely moving. Quite a few people sprinted past me, but it was all I could do to manage a slow jog back to my bike. I wasn't speedy getting my stuff on, but at least my T1 was well-organized so I couldn't miss anything.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 37s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.72 mile/hr
Comments:

The whole first lap I felt like I did on the swim -- pretty much dead. But then I started picking up and feeling better. About mid-way through the second lap, something began to click and I started firing on all cylinders.

My bike computer had me at 20.5 mph for the course, but I started it shortly after turning onto Via Verde (missing the climb out of transition and spinning up through a parking lot). So these guys have me at 19.7. I thought this would be my first race to break 20mph. PIG FARTZ !!! Now I am depressed.

Don't know. Maybe try liquid nutrition. Sucking down gels is tough during a race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Another slow transition. Whatever. I have to wear socks. And I need different socks for the bike than for the run. So my races involve putting on socks twice. Oh well, I'm not exactly contending for a podium spot, so doesn't matter much to me.
Run
  • 51m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

My best run in a race so far. I felt pretty good by the start of the run, and I managed to mostly hold form and kept going without any walking the entire way. So, I finished strong, and I am really happy about how this run went down. That makes up for yet another sub 20 mph bike. I still suck at running compared to the field, and it's my biggest opportunity for improvement. But I did improve some finally, so that's cool.

Continue training and remain injury free so I can slowly build up base.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and coke. Hung out with my family for a while. This was the first chance my kids had to see me race. They both want to do a tri now, so that's a great feeling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Felt off/lethargic for the swim and first third of the bike. I don't know what the deal was, just didn't sleep well I guess.

Last updated: 2009-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/26
Overall: 21/299
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: From south shore of Bonelli, beach entry and swim due north around a double buoy, make a right toward shore, swim back along shore and right turn westward back to exit on beach. Sort of a rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:37 | 24.85 miles | 19.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 53/299
Wind: Little
Course: Three loops around Bonelli park. Exit T1, immediate climb to a parking area then out to Via Verde. Begin 1st of 3 loops. Rt turn (west) on Via Verde, climb to 57 freeway, cross freeway and down San Dimas Ave on long, steepish descent. Right turn on Puddingstone, another fun climb, down past airport and right turn around far end of Bracket field. Then right again on Via Verde onto bad pavement, climb past entry shack to park, descend, and climb past the entrance/exit from transition to begin 2nd loop. Repeat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:27 | 06.21 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/26
Overall: 143/299
Performance: Good
Course: Lap around the reservoir. Pretty flat, with an occasional gradual hill. A brief trail about midway through some nice foliage. Wish more of the run was set up that way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3

2009-06-08 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2203135

Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3
Wow I can't wait to see what your time will be when you have a good day - and much kudos for turning your race around from a bad start and finding your legs.

See you in October at Bonelli?

Suzie
2009-06-08 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2203135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3

I think that this was a great race for you especially since you've been patiently rehabbing yourself back to running over the last year.  Great job on the PR!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 Rss Feed