United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 58m 11s
Overall Rank = 255/570
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 51/85
Pre-race routine:

Well last Sunday I did the Black Bear HIM, which left my legs are messed up and by Thursday they were just starting to feel somewhat normal again. I drove up to Conn. on a rainy Friday afternoon and then weather made me reconsider checking in on Friday. Drove to the race site Saturday morning to meet with Team Trakers and get the scoop on how our devices worked. Did a "fun Run" with my new teammates and 3 of the pros affiliated with Trakkers (Bre Wee, Lisa Mensink, and Chris (can't remember his name sorry). Then I checked in, drove back to the hotel got my bike and then did my " 1 hour shift in the trakkers booth" at 12:00. Well by the start of our shift we had run out of units, but we continued answering questions and romoting the units. I left around 3:00pm, to check in my bike to transition and then go back to the hotel to take a shower before the Team dinner at Carlitos. Mike Lavato joined us and i got to get to know the folks at my end of the table. Very cool people. After that I drove two of my teamamtes back to our hotel and then waited until Tammy called then tried to go to bed early but the people next door were loud of course. But i got a good night's sleep, got up at 4:20, loaded up and was at the park by 5:00am to get a good parking spot and set up transition. Well that took all of 10 min so i wandered around checkedout the pros, visted the bathroom, got my wetsuit on and trackkers device and tried it out. Took a practice swim to get used to the water. No pressure on this race what so ever, since I had done such a hard HIM the week before so i was very relaxed.
Event warmup:

Short swim out to the first bouy and back.
Swim
  • 35m 21s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

For some reason they started on 2 minutes between waves, so i didn't get a chance to do much move than defog my goggles and get a spot in the back befre the horn sounded. I was at the back so I went outside and stayed out of the mess. Got into a good relaxed cadence and nice smooth stroke, and tried to straighten out my approach to the first turn buoy. Worked like a charm not contact what so ever and rarely even had to alter my stroke or line. Hit the first buoy dead on and certainly noticed a lot of folks cutting the corner. Got around the bend and diamonded the next leg to get out of traffic and again litterally came headone to the buoy, then turned for home and tried to stay tight to the buoy line on the way in. Didn't notice too many folks making up the stagger, so it wasn't too bad a swim. Sun in the eyes on the way back did make it a bit annoying but I stayd smooth and long and had a good consistant swim and felt good.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, just find a better starting spot, but it all worked out pretty well. My watch had it 35:11.
Transition 1
  • 05m 15s
Comments:

409/570 in T2. A long run to the transitiona area and then had to use the back entrance to Transition to boot and then had to fight with my wetsuit and was just slow and steady, putting on, my sock shoes, glasses and ring and finally my helmet and spraying down with sunscreen which apparently still missed so spots.

Got to get better removing the wetsuit, it kills me every time.
Bike
  • 3h 07m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Compared to last week this was a much easier course, got to spend a lot of time in the aerobars and the hills were more gradual. For some reason i tried to do the first few rolling hill in a very high gear, and had to stand and struggled to the top (no wanted to downshift to the small ring standing, drop the chain and fall again (See last week), but after that i learned my lesson and downshifted eary and just was content to spin up the hill in an easy gear and i found myself passing quite a few people all day long on those hills spinning up in my granny gear. hey you keep a good tempo and your legs stay fresh. Prety much stayed in the saddle all day, except to stretch and for a brief steep stretch on the out and back. Off the hills there were some good flats and long decents to get aero and I powered through very well. Was very happy with my time as i really was just riding and my legs still felt pretty good.

Other that trying to out muscule a few hills early, I did a good job downshifting early and staying in control and not destroying my legs, so Not much difference. Did a good job drinking every 15 min and ate all my gels (1 every 30 min). Good ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

325/570 for T2. Took my time and found the idiot next too me racked in my spot. But didn't let it bother my, tok my time and got going.

Need the Potta potties accessable from transion or the run out course. had to wait until mile 1 to go.
Run
  • 2h 07m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off great. Flowed down the downhill my legs were coming to me and i felt good. Took a pit stop at the first aid station and was going good until the dirt road hill, I was cruising along well but then i started feeling my hammies and calfes start to twinge and ready to cramp. I managerd to hold in off by slowing the pace but the hills (up and down) didn't help. At about 6 miles I got back to pace and started feeling good again, i worked my way up the long hill to the park and was on the way to mile 11 when I just felt as though i had flipped a switch and went from I feel good to I feel like I'm going to pass out. My body just rebelled, felt nauscious, hot, light headed, started cramping again. Basically it just sucked. I slowed and i walked thruough the next aid station and drank some coke and water. From there I did a walk run for a bit until, I felt a bit better and just trotted home gingerly. Not a fun filled run for me.

Don't know what happened with the bonk at mile 11. First time that had happened. Had water at all the aid stations and 3 gels on the run as planned. Took to electrolytle tabs on the bike, mayby should have done more. I gues it was the cumulative effect of 2 HIM in two week finally catching up to me. What ever it was It sucked.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, ater and drank water and energy drink and sarted feeling better, got changed and stayed for the pro awards, and the raffle, then went and got a massage. That was good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I met my expectations for the second of 2 HIMs back to back. Felt like I had a decent time going before my bonk on the run but such is life. Figure out why I bonked and fix that.

Event comments:

Great race especially for a first year event. More top pros in any race this side of Kona, so it was very cool to meet and see how they handled this cousre. The two winners called it the toughest HIM they ever remember doing. Great voluneers and Team Trakkers represented well even if the decives still had a few glitches 9 poor cell reception in the area realy was a challenge)

Last updated: 2009-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:21 | 2310 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 48/85
Overall: 249/570
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: Nice counter clockwise triangle (opposite the direction on line and in the race guide) Nice deep and cool spring fed lake so it was cool and clean.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:07:05 | 56 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/85
Overall: 236/570
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A nice hilly course rolling through 5 towns including Watertown (Bruce Hornsby Song), Bethlehem, Southbury, and others. Figure 8, with lots of rolling hills and a few good sustained climbs. Nothing outragously steep but they just kept coming. One short out and back with a nice long hill on the way back. 4 aid stations which was nice and great traffice control.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 70
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:07:46 | 13.1 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/85
Overall: 291/570
Performance: Below average
Course: Very hilly and challenging run. First 1.25 miles are downhill, then rolling (to 3 then an up hill dirt rod for an 1.5 mile stretch and the rolling to the turn around at 5.5 miles, then back to the park and going up the nice 1.25 miles hill to the park and the nice downhill. Then a loop thru the neighboorhood under the rt 64 and back to the park. Very hilly.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 10:28 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Revolution3

2009-06-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2204030

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Revolution3
Wow, Andy, that's some accomplishment. B2B 70.3s! Nice swim and it sounds like you had a sweet bike piece too. Now get some rest...
2009-06-09 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
It was so great to meet you this weekend, Andy!  You had a great race, especially considering that you had just done a HIM the weekend before!  Bravo!
2009-06-09 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great race!

Picking two hilly HIM back to back wow...hope you are recovering well.

In last few years there are lots of new HIM distance races here in NE.
2009-06-10 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Hey Andy, it was great meeting you too at the Rev3 race. Do you spray your legs with Pam. I spray the outside of the legs and arms of my suit, so when I peel it off, it slides against itself real nicely.

Ok wait. Did you say you did a race the week before that was HARDER hills on the bike. OMG!

I agree with you about the location of portapotties... you could of peed in the poison ivy patch at the half mile point like me. Can't say it was worth it, tho, as I sit here with an extremely itchy knee.

Sorry you bonked on the run. I think your run split is great despite that. Hope to see you and Team Trakkers again sometime!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Rss Feed