General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming questions (can't go right!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-09 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
Subject: Swimming questions (can't go right!)
I am an experienced swimmer and I just started doing tri's last year. I am high MOP without much training.

All through the years, I have never been a good kicker, mostly arms. I'm learning that may actually be a good thing for triathletes. Do you think its worth it to try and improve my kick, or are triathlon swimmers better off taking it easy on the legs?

Another thing is that I can only comfortably breathe on the left. If I go to the right, I am all out of sorts. I must have gotten into this habit when I was younger. Do you see any potential issues with this?

FWIW, I enjoy the OWS much more than swimming in a pool. Pool swimming gets annoying, and I am not a good flip turner any more. I love the whole OWS experience.

-- Gary

2009-06-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2205424

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Swimming questions (can't go right!)
I also came from a swimming background, and though I haven't competed in a tri yet, I've only been using my legs for some slight kicking, mostly for balance and rhythm.  I say if you're almost FOP with just your upper body it may not be worth tiring your legs for an extra little bit of time that you'd be able to make up in T1 or in the bike/run legs.
2009-06-09 1:23 PM

User image

Vero Beach, FL
During a tri I think the most important thing about kicking is not whether you kick hard enough to create propulsion but that you concentrate on keeping your legs streamlined so as not to add extra drag.  If your legs are flailing to the sides or sinking low you're making the rest of your body work harder to overcome the extra drag your creating by not keeping your legs streamlined.
2009-06-09 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Improving your kick and taking it easy on the legs are not mutually exclusive.  Just because you don't kick like a swimmer doing a 50, it doesn't mean you don't need a strong and efficient lower half.

Learn to breathe both ways.  You don't have to alternate while swimming (I breathe almost exclusivelty to the right), but it helps if you want to sight a shore line, have somebody's armpit in your face, the waves are coming at you, etc.

2009-06-09 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
coming from a swimming background as well, i've found that it is important to train the kick.  i've also found that because i have a swimming background, i actually have to train more than what is "recommended" in training plans.  the additional yardage helps me keep my feel for the water and reinforces my rhythm.  i would incorporate kick sets into your swim training. though you won't be kicking like your racing 100m sprint (during your 1500m race for example), the added strength help you balance in the water and keep a steady rhythm.

i would work on bi-lateral breathing, only because this will help balance out the stress you are putting on your shoulders.  for many years i was a right side only breather and my left shoulder paid the price.  when practicing breathing to the opposite side that you are used to, go slow and try to keep your strokes long.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming questions (can't go right!) Rss Feed