La Grange, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Production
Total Time = 2h 48m 29s
Overall Rank = 183/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/52
Pre-race routine:

Stayed up late last night watching the Pens win the Stanley Cup. So, I only got 5 hours of sleep. I packed the car the night before, so it was drink a cup of coffee, east two pieces of PBJ toast, and off we go. It was funny driving to the race. There were a ton of cars on the road at 5 AM with bike racks! You did not need directions to the site.
Event warmup:

It was a long way from the cars to transition which was the only disappointing logistical issue. Luckily, I have a new backpack and everything fit fine. Setup transition.

Swam to the second buoy and back. Water was warmer than the air temp. No wet suites. Talked with Brett and Jonathan some. Made a great decision to move towards the start line a little early which positioned me to start at the front.
Swim
  • 27m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Finally, a respectable swim leg - 5th in AG. Only two minutes from the fastest AG time. I sighted well. I did 10 strokes, then stroke sight which I have been practicing at Dynamo. After the first turn, I found Jonathan and latched on to his slip stream. I stayed there until the next turn to shore. I got cut off from his feet and never found him again. The last 300 yards seemed to take forever. I am determined to get under :25 at Tugaloo.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I really do like the time trial start better than the bar fight start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I ran hard to my bike. I got tangled up with the Sprint racers who seemed to be taking a stroll to their bikes. I had to be rude after asking them to move so I could run for my bike without any reaction. So, I shoved past. Not the nicest thing to do, but I was in a hurry. I made the decision to put socks on. I may have slowed me a little, but I did not want a blister like I got at Tanner. I used the bento box to make it easier to deal with the food.

Still would like to get the shoes in the pedals thing down. I did not try, but I know it is worth 10-15 seconds.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I had to be careful on the bike. I have not put in the miles, so there was only so much in the tank. I did not listen to this knowledge at all! I came out of the blocks screaming. The first 6 miles were flat and rockin fast. Then the rollers started and I paid for the next 8 or 9 miles. If I had a little more form, I would have killed this course. I really liked it. However, I hit some bad spots and had to back off a few times. Overall, I will take the bike leg as the best I could do with the condition I have and look forward to killing it next year.

More saddle time with some interval work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I took my feet out of the shoes before transition and did a flying dismount. All good, except one of my shoes fell off the pedal. I grabbed it and ran with the bike. I had a good graceful transition as far as going through the helmet off, shoes on, start running while putting on the hat, race number, blocs in back pocket and garmin.

If the shoe did not fall off the pedal, this would have been a very good transition. So, dumb luck.
Run
  • 1h 00m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out stronger than expected and simply ran out of conditioning. This is were I paid for the decent bike split. I ran the whole time, but progressively slowed down as the race went on. I felt like I was running in place a few times. I nice guy tapped me on the back at a bad spot and said "it will pass, don't let it get the better of you...just move your feet quicker." It kind of snapped me out of it. I did not do a finish line sprint for the crowd...just wanted to cross the line. Again, I will simply say this was the best I could do with my current condition level. So, I will not complain or be negative.

Just need more endurance to finish the race off. I will get it right by Tug. No worries.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little to keep the body moving and cooled down. I ate a nice big piece of water mellon, damn it tasted good. I ate a bagel with nutella, damn it tasted good. I sat with Brett and some of the NAMS group for a few minutes. Cleaned up on transition and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more consistent workouts, control the intensity more to avoid the nicks, and drinking massive amounts of adult beverages early in the week while on vacation could not have helped! I am very confident I can get under 2:40 consistently in OLYs. Just need to figure out the staying healthy part.

Event comments:

First time for the race and I really like the course. I thought it suited me very well from the clockwise swim, time trial start, excellent bike course and mostly flat run. I know there is a PR on this course for me in the future.

Last updated: 2008-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:36 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/52
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: slightly choppy conditions, but barely.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:39 | 24.85 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:40 | 06.21 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/52
Overall: 29/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-13 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Westpoint Lake Triathlon

2009-06-13 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2215621

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Westpoint Lake Triathlon
nice honest assessment. I feel the same way about my race. Nice race though. Funny on the move feet quicker comment. I did that today in the section of the run where I didn't feel so hot, and that made things much better. Faster turnover, shorter strides. Not sure if that's he was getting at, but the coincidence works.
2009-06-14 6:56 AM

User image

Master

I do the small steps thing too. : ) It also helps your knees and plantar.  Great race!

2009-06-14 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Nice RR - Everything seems in place for the build to Tugaloo!
2009-06-14 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Very nice job! This is a descent Int distance course. There is no gimme finish here. I applaud you for your finish time. The heat stayed low, which helped during the dam portion of the run (or the whole run for that matter).
I heard some grumblings that the course was longer this year, so looking at your splits, very impressive. Now go build toward Tugaloo!!!!

2009-06-14 2:40 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Great healthy race.  I'll be watching to see you break 2:40 @tugaloo.

2009-06-15 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great race!! Nice job getting to T1, even if you had to shove your way there.

Of course, it is hard to ease off on the bike if the first six miles are flat and fast! Gotta hammer those, and hang though ( like you did) for the run!! Congrats!
2009-06-15 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Great job.  I should have moved my feet faster too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westpoint Lake Triathlon Rss Feed