General Discussion Race Reports! » TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sims, NC, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m
Overall Rank = 44/78
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with friends in Wilson...up early and on our way to the race site. Ate a Cliff Bar and a banana for breakfast, washed it down with gatorade.

Event warmup:

Rode a short distance on the bike followed by some stretching.
Swim
  • 21m 3s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

The wave was small but it was still a crowded start. Stayed to the right and tried to seperate from the pack. After maybe 200 yards, I kept noticing one guy wearing a red top who was always close. For the rest of the swim I don't think we were ever more than 20 feet apart. Ended up 6 seconds back coming out of the water. This was an ok swim for me but I still have so much work to do to improve mmy swim.
What would you do differently?:

More time in the pool....consider lessons....increase upper body strenght and endurance.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Very good transition for me. In years past my transitions were usually 30 seconds longer. Both here and Lake Kristi I've been consistenly just under a minute. I'm happy. I beat Red out of T1 and wouldn't see him again....for a while, anyway.

Not much right now, happy with the transition.
Bike
  • 52m 5s
  • 17.25 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike for me. I decided I was going to push hard and not worry about the run (well, until I was actually running). It was a good course, fun to ride. I lived in Wilson for 9 years but hadn't ridden on many of those roads. They put together a nice course.

Need more time in the saddle if I want to go faster. I know I can go faster but I'm happy with where I am given what I've put into it so far this year.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Still need to sit down to put my running shoes on. Just too wobbly getting off the bike to put running shoes on while standing. I tried it this time but almost fell over .... faster for me to just sit down.

Not much, happy with T2.
Run
  • 26m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I continue to be disappointed with my run this year. Not sure where my speed went. I should be running in the upper 7s per mile, not mid 8s. I tried to push myself but threw up in my mouth twice (nasty effing Hammer Gel). I liked the course since you could see people several times...but that is the only nice thing about an out and back (twice) course. I struggled and ended up being passed by Red. He ended up beating me to the finish by 20 seconds. He went by and I tried to hang but just didn't have it.

Need to inject more speedwork into my training regimine. Maybe do a few more bricks...might have to consult a coach. I'm ranking this below average because it's much worse than I want to run....but it's all that I have right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Very nice to see so many friends that I haven't seen since I moved. Didn't stretch like I should have because I was too busy talking. Fun post race for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Current level of fitness....but overall, I'm happy. Great time on the bike.

Event comments:

Great inagural event!! Hope it grows bigger in the next few years.

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:03 | 1094 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 56/78
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Last minute change to counter-clockwise to keep from swimming into the sun at the finish...good call.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:05 | 17.25 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 34/78
Performance: Good
I've heard distance variations from 17 to 17.5 miles. I like the latter since puts me over 20 mph average for the second race in a row.
Wind: Little
Course: Loop course with all right hand turns. Good roads with some rolling hills and a couple of good drops and one good climb.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:16 | 03.11 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 46/78
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat, out and back twice, hot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 6:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon

2009-06-14 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2215902

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Subject: RE: TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon

Wow, small race!  Only 78 people?  How in the world can you say the swim start was crowded, lol.  You did race Columbia, right?  Nice job yesterday and it looks like you had fun, which, if I'm reading your blog correctly, was your goal for the race.  I hope the drive back isn't too nasty.

2009-06-16 5:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Nice swim but M is right staying away from a pack of 78? Heck we had that many in each porti pot at Columbia....
But your run was awesome, great race.
2009-06-17 6:14 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Nice race George (well except for the throwing up in your mouth part). I think I'm in the same place as you as far as the swim goes.
You killed the bike and I wish I could get my transitions that fast. Great job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon Rss Feed