General Discussion Race Reports! » RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
Event Power
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 53s
Overall Rank = 264/548
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/54
Pre-race routine:

Go to the race start about 1.5 hours before my wave was scheduled to go off. I got a prime location in the transition area. All was good... for now at least. I'll explain more later.
Event warmup:

Swam about 200 yards to loosen up and acclimate to the cold water temps.
Swim
  • 30m 10s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I am very happy with my swim in this race, especially because I had to take some time away from swimming over the course of the past two months because of my mysterious shoulder injury. I was able to draft off of some people and I made a lot of good decisions when it came to pacing.

The one thing about the swim that was a bit annoying was that they basically combined what was supposed to be two waves into one. This made the water very crowded which is something I am not too used to. My goggles were kicked, almost off me head, in the first 300 yards. I was able to overcome this and keep going.

Overcoming adversity would soon become the theme of this race for me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Horrible, absolutely horrible.

As I said, I had a prime location on the rack. Right at the end, facing the "Bike Out." That is why I got up at 3:45, that is why I didn't waste time getting ready to go and that is why I painstakingly packed my car and my stuff the night before. However, when I got to the transition area, I was disgusted to find that some moron put there bike on the outside of the rack, leaning against the rack (and my bike) and enclosing all of my stuff between their bike and mine. My bike ended up getting stuck on their stupid cardboard box full of crap and my helmet was on the ground. My water bottles had been moved and I couldn't easily get to my shoes.

The T1 was easily 1:30 longer than it should have been because I had to waste so much time looking for and sorting out my stuff. I know it sounds like a cop out... but, what the hell, it IS a cop out. That kind of behavior is simply inexcusable. And to be totally honest, I blame the race organizers/directors just as much as the asshole who screwed up my stuff. They should have had people administering the transition area.

I used to hate it when I would get to a race and find out that we were assigned racks, now I know why the better races that I have done do that. In many ways, this ordeal really kind of screwed up the remainder of the race for me. I wanted so badly to break 2:30.
What would you do differently?:

Wait for the moron to get out of the water and beat the shit out of him.
Bike
  • 59m 38s
  • 22 miles
  • 22.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Because of the debacle in T1, I figured I had to make up some time. I knew I had to be off of the bike and on the run course at 1:30 into the race to have any shot of breaking 2:30 for the race. As a result, I think I pushed waaaaay too hard. I was flying up the climbs, passing people left and right and screaming down the descents, topping out at 38.4 mph.

This was a great, fast ride for me, and if it were a stand-alone bike race, I'd be thrilled, but. I let my psyche get the best of me and I left myself with little, to nothing, left in the tank. But I figured, that would be alright because there would be plenty of Gatorade and gels on the run course to refuel and rehydrate.... right?

Stay a little more within myself.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

T2, was lot like T1, again, all my stuff in the transition area was a mess and it made the whole thing very disorientating.
Run
  • 1h 01m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, I wanted to break 2:30 and even after all that had already happened, there was still a chance at the beginning of the run for that to happen, but then it all went downhill. This is a pretty tough course, especially since there was no gel and/or gatorade on the course. It would have been good to have some calories available. I started to overheat and get very fatigued during mile 3 and I just kind of lost my pace and form.

Go easier on the bike so I could start the run fresher.

Bring my fuel belt so I would have more control over nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat and relaxed after walking around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transitions and poor decisions on the bike portion of the race.

Event comments:

I have very mixed emotions about today's race. I am very disappointed that I didn't break 2:30. Especially since I did so much work this year on my running and I have gotten a lot faster over long distances (at least I have my PR in the half marathon to hang my hat on).

I did still finish in the top half overall, and the top half of my age group, which is always my goal.

I just think they could do a much better job organizing this race and providing more on the course.

Last updated: 2008-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:10 | 1750 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 282/548
Performance: Good
Time includes run to transition area.
Suit: Blue Seventy Sprint (Full)
Course: Out and back in salt water lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:38 | 22 miles | 22.14 mile/hr
Overall: 149/548
Performance: Good
I've said it before, when I have done this race, and I'll say it again, this is a surprisingly tough course.
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:01:36 | 06.2 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 406/548
Performance: Below average
Course: Some pretty tough hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 7:00 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon

2009-06-15 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2215966

User image

Subject: RE: RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon

Dude, your "What would you differently" for T1 was hilarious!  But like you said to me, it was obviosuly some newbie, probably his first tri, he was running late... 

Honestly, your cop out is correct -- a circumstance beyond your control screwed your race.  Had he not done that you would have had a faster, smoother transition; you wouldn't have killed yourself on the bike; and your legs would've been fresher for the run; and you would've had a legit shot based on your outstanding consistent training this year at a sub 2:30.  Unfortunately you have to just suck it up and move on.  Sorry. 

It's a shame Event Power no longer runs this race and now it's a complete unorganized fiasco as this was one of my favorite races last year. 

Perhaps you'll do the Mighty Hamptons with me?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon Rss Feed