General Discussion Triathlon Talk » advice on back to back weekend races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-14 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: advice on back to back weekend races
Hi gang,
I have what I consider a "c" priority 10 mile run road race this saturday. My longest run this season has been 9 miles at a very easy pace. My PR at this particular run is 1:14. However, due to some changes in lifestyle (newborn twins to go along with the 5 year old), my training hasn't been consistent enough to beat that PR - at least I think not.

I also have an "A" priority sprint triathlon the following the weekend. My question is this: should I take the 10 miler as an easy training run and stay aerobic throughout? I don't want to risk injury or "dead legs" when I'm not very confident in PR'ing this year. I have a couple of buddies that I could run it with who will go at a 8:30-9:00 pace.

My lactate threshold is about 179 right now. I'd stay around 160-165 for the run.

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

2009-06-14 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2216223

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: advice on back to back weekend races
your body could do the races.  

but it isn't a priority and you are not on your A game

give your family the time you wouldda spent on the 10 miler 

as far as training - i don't do more miles than days till a race (and a week out that is less than previous long runs not more) - you don't have ten days. 

Edited by bruehoyt 2009-06-14 12:50 PM
2009-06-14 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2216223

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: advice on back to back weekend races
skip it if your A race is the following weekend.  Even though it's a "C" race you will probably push harder than you intended and pay for it later in the week. C races should be early to mid season.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » advice on back to back weekend races Rss Feed