General Discussion Race Reports! » Flag City USA Multisport Celebration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Flag City USA Multisport Celebration - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Findlay, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 56m 48s
Overall Rank = 68/68
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had an apple loaf w/pb and a banana. Met Amy (amymengle) and her husband, Andy in the hotel lobby. We rode over to the race site together. Set up T2, got bodymarked and a chip and headed over to T1
Event warmup:

Walked our bikes 2 miles to T1.
Had a gel with a couple swigs of water before the swim
Swim
  • 48m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

Tough swim for me. Goggles wouldn't get a seal and I had to stop several times to adjust them. Had trouble getting a smooth rhythm going. Think because I'm coming up too far when I'm sighting causing my lower body to drag even more than it does when I swim normally. Stopped a couple of times when I wasn't sure I was looking at the right yellow buoy, which signified a turn. Made it through my two laps. There were a ton a safety people in the water and standing on docks and I felt every single one of them watching me. I must have looked like a flailing mess. On the final stretch of my second lap, I had a cramp in my lower leg just above the ankle. I've had this cramp before only on the other side, and it also happened during an open water swim. I think there's something funky going on with my sighting and balance that's causing me to compensate with kicking that my legs don't like. Will work on this before the next race. When I got to the shore, there was a volunteer telling me to be careful of the rocks, so I thought she wanted me to stop swimming and I stood up way too soon. There was only one other person in the water and he zoomed by me while I was making my way over the rocks to the ramp.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting skills
Wet goggles before swimming.
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

Little problem in T1. I couldn't see out of my right eye. Contact was clouded over because I had water in my goggles for most of the swim. I was freaking out a little when I got out of the water. I thought I had lost my contact and wouldn't be able to see for the bike course. I could see through a fog, but it was clear, so I knew I still had the contact. Someone had left a bucket in T1, so I sat down on it and put on my shoes and helmet and got my bearings. Talked to Andy, who was clearly concerned. It was a little disconcerning to be having T1 torn down around me as well. Vision finally cleared to where I felt safe taking off. It felt like I was in T1 forever, but in reality, it wasn't that far off what I normally do.

Good question. No idea.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 37s
  • 21.75 miles
  • 13.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off pretty easy. I was upset from the swim/transition, so I was busy having a pity party. Tried talking to myself. Really didn't want to spend the rest of the race being miserable, so I kept talking to myself and spoke to every volunter and sheriff I saw and thanked them for being out there. I calmed down after a few miles and was enjoying the ride. Passed Amy coming back in and she gave me a boost. Passed lots of riders coming back in and also skaters from the inline skate race that was going on. The scenery and roads were pretty uneventful for the most part. We went by an equine center which made me think of the horse farms in Louisville. When we hit the downtown area, the roads were lined with huge old mansions that were so cool! Had a pretty fast first half. There was a little wind, but it was behind me making it easy riding. The ride back wasn't as easy, but it wasn't too bad. I had a little headwind/crosswind for the return, but not the kind that beats the crap out of you. It was manageable. I passed one person on the bike. Never even came close to anyone else.

Drank one bottle of infinit and a gel w/ 1/2 bottle of water on the bike.

Should have pushed a little harder. I was rattled going out on the bike and I was so worried about not making myself a basket case for the rest of the race that I didn't care if I pushed hard. I only hit Z3 for the bike. I had lots more to give.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Couldn't remember where I left my stuff and was totally disoriented. Most of my T2 time was spent trying to figure out where my stuff was. Looking back, it should have been easy. I was in the first rack and had the only pink bag. It threw me because the numbers were gone from the ends of the rack and I guess I just wasn't thinking that clearly. Racked my bike, grabbed a couple of gels, took 4 advil, and headed out.

Not be so scatterbrained?
Run
  • 1h 24m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off with my slow shuffle/run out of T2 and felt good. I was several minutes into the run before I noticed I still had my biking gloves on. Oops. Took them off and stuffed them into my pocket. Walked up a steep hill to the gravel reservoir path and enjoyed the sunshine and views of the water. Saw lots of big fish jumping. Good thing I didn't see them when I was swimming! I love to run. Its my favorite event right now. Even though I'm slow, I just really enjoy being out. I smiled lots on the run because even though the rest of the day was tough, I'm in the last segment and I'm doing what I love to do. I saw lots of people heading in from the out and back and most of them gave me encouragement and I did the same to them. Saw Amy. Smiling and happy, of course! The girl I passed on the bike passed me back on the run. She hit the turnaround and we smacked hands as we passed, then she was gone and I was the sole remaining runner on the course. Grabbed a quick cup of heed at the turn around and headed back in. There was one other water stop and I thanked the volunteers for waiting for me. About this time, I see Amy and Andy heading my way. Amy is hollering and smiling and tells me that she came to run back with me because it gets lonely out there, you know? LOL! She chattered and chattered and told me that this was the best birthday ever and how much fun she was having. The last 1.5 miles I ran with her were 1 minute faster per mile, so I negative split the run. :) We rounded the corner and I heard the announcer tell everyone to gather around the line to welcome in the final finisher. It felt so good to finish. Even if I was DFL. Andy got a great pic of me crossing the line. Several people came up to me and congratulated me. One who was working communications on the course made a point of telling me he was glad to see I had finished. In all honesty, I would have been more bummed to be last if it wasn't for Amy's contageous enthusiasm.

Nothing. I had a great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. The best part after the finish was when Amy and I looked at each other and said, "Let's do it again!" This was a great warm up for the HIM in July.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual. My old and tired body. ;)

Event comments:

Would definitely do this race again. The people in Findlay were the greatest!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:42 | 1500 meters | 03m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 68/68
Performance: Bad
Suit: One-piece trisuit
Course: Two lap rectangle
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:37:37 | 21.75 miles | 13.37 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Bike was actually 23 miles AHR 141 MHR 151
Wind: Some
Course: Course was down a hill out of the reservoir - through country roads with the turnaround in downtown Findlay. Flat course. A couple roads were chip seal and pretty rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:24:48 | 06.21 miles | 13m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Good
M1 13:15 AHR 148 MHR 158: M2 14:13 AHR 146 MHR 154: M3 13:59 AHR 147 MHR 154: M4 14:32 AHR 145 MHR 154: M5 13:55 AHR 146 MHR 153: M6 13:02 AHR 149 MHR 158
Course: Out and back along the reservoir.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: Flag City USA Multisport Celebration

2009-06-15 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2216896

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Flag City USA Multisport Celebration
Great Job out there Tammy! I love you attitude about triathlons, you seem to take the lemons the day gives you and make lemonade.
John Collins, the father of the Ironman, said something like "[Triathlon] has always been about finishing what you started. Maybe not as fast as the guy in front of you but certianly faster then the guy who never started." You finished, Tam. Well done.
2009-06-15 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Tammy, YOU ARE MY HERO! You've gone longer in a tri than I have! You fought your way through a mechanical issue (goggles). DO NOT EVER PUT YOURSELF DOWN EVER! I am going to put your finish pic up on my background!
2009-06-15 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
OMG!  I do the bike glove thing too!  ALL the time!!!  I've lost count of all the runs where I've carried them!

Way to go, Tam!  You did awesome!  Coming back from a disappointing swim can be next to impossible, but you did it!  Good job out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flag City USA Multisport Celebration Rss Feed