General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trekwomen Triathlon Series : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-15 6:26 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: Trekwomen Triathlon Series : Official Thread

LESS THAN a month til my first triathlon!! woo hoo!!  Is this going to be anyone else's first??

I just went and watched the Subaru women's tri in Naperville - and I am sooo pumped!!

2009-06-15 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2217481

User image

Veteran
Madison
Subject: RE: Trekwomen Triathlon Series : Official Thread
It's my first too.  I am very excited but nervous too.  I've got all my equiptment so now all I have to do is survive.
2009-06-15 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome ladies...my second year doing the Danskin...uhh, Trek.  Great course, perfect for a first tri.  They will even have noodles if you need them on the swim :-).  I will be the one in the Donkey tri top and possibly Pink cape for the run. 

Very fun time!!! 
2009-06-19 6:11 AM

I belong to the gym in Pleasant Prairie and get to spend lots of time on the course. If you have questions, let me know. Did Danskin last year - great atmosphere - lots of people. I'm thinking Trek will be a bit smaller because it is their first year. If it ever stops raining here the lake should get warmer.
2009-07-08 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Well...time is coming ladies... WOO HOO!!

I called last week, but they didn't know about water temps.  Anyone know anything?

Anyone wanna meet up before race?  Maybe at the expo/race packet-pick up sometime Saturday afternoon??
2009-07-08 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2270545

User image

Extreme Veteran
I heard 70 or so...not too sure though.  I am wearing a wetsuit no matter what.  Would love to meet up.  We will be there at about noonish.  I will be one of the women in a red Milton Girls Gone Tri shirt.  Ask for Michele W.  Plan on hanging out at the expo for a while.  Good luck Ladies!!!!

2009-07-09 6:55 AM

Lake was cool on Tuesday - but not to bad. With the weather the way its been the lake will probably stay cool -- but once you get moving the water is perfect. The cool weather this month has kept the weeds down. Should be a good day for a race on Sunday!!
2009-07-09 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison
I'm wearing a wetsuit too.  Just need the extra security for the swim.  Good luck to all.  I hope it's not too crazy.

Oh - when are people racking their bikes? I am thinking of doing it Saturday just to have it done with and not having to cart it around for an extra day.
2009-07-09 10:23 AM

I'm racking on Sunday as I'm going to drive up park at the outlet mall and bike in. If you rack on Saturday there is no bus from the outlet mall and I don't like the other parking options. Then on Sunday you can't ride up H back to Target if you park there - so you'd have to have someone get your car and meet you at the outlet mall, etc.
2009-07-09 10:25 AM

here's what my coach had to say about the parking situation:

1. Prime Outlet Mall – I-94 and Hwy 165. Remember, no bus service from here.

2. Behind the Fire Station off Hwy C. Directions: Exit I-94 at Hwy 50 and go east. After passing the large hospital with construction on your right, turn right at the traffic light for Hwy H. Follow the road south; at the curve, Hwy H turns to the left and Hwy C (Wilmont Rd) continues straight. Go straight and take the first left after it becomes Wilmot Rd into the fire station. There will be bus transportation from this location. [MapQuest Map]

3. At the Target lot on Hwy 50. Target’s address is 9777 76th St. (For those in the area, this is the NEW Target next to St. Catherine’s Medical Center, not the old store on Green Bay Road). [MapQuest Map] Directions: Exit I-94 at Hwy 50 and go east about 2-1/2 miles. Turn right into the Target parking lot just past Famous Dave’s BBQ. There is bus transportation from this location.

If you are traveling alone and park at either the Fire Station or at Target, after the race take the bus back to your car, then drive back to the RecPlex and pick up your car. Remember, unlike prior years, there is no bus service from the Outlet Mall. The Trek web site says Hwy 165 and Terwall Terrace will be re-opened to traffic between 11:30 and Noon. I think is might be a bit later than that.

Finally, keep in mind the construction on I-94 from Hwy 50 in Wisconsin to the Illinois state line. This is already leading to traffic jams and it will probably be much worse on race morning. Construction information is online at http://www.plan94.org/.I would recommend finding an alternative method of getting to Hwy 50 or Hwy 165. For Hwy 50, you can take Green Bay Rd (Hwy 31) to the East, or Hwy 45 or Rte. 83 to the West. Remember though that Green Bay Road is part of the race course so it will be closed from 95th Street to about Russell Road, so you will not be able to use it to get to Hwy 50 from the Illinois side.

For Hwy 165 (to get to the Outlet Mall or back to the RecPlex after the race), the exit from I-94 south is closed. You will have to exit at Hwy C west, then take the west frontage road down to Hwy 165.

To get to the Outlet Mall from the Illinois side, take one of the alternate north-south roads (Hwy 41, Green Bay Road, or Hwy 45) to Hwy 176 (Rosencrans Rd). Take Rosencrans to Kilbourne Rd (which is a couple of miles east of Hwy 41). Turn north on Kilbourne Rd, which turns into Hwy H in Wisconsin. Go north and turn left on Hwy ML. Follow ML to 120th Ave, and turn right. (120th Ave is just before ML goes over I-94, where the weigh station is.) Follow 120th Ave north to the Outlet Mall.
2009-07-09 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
OK, I have a newbie question.  My husband, mom, and three small kids are coming to see me on Sunday.  What time should they be there? Should I tell them to be there @6:30 and doesn't that mean that they actually get there at 5:30 to account for all the traffic, parking, etc.  Or - I guess my question is - will be find out on Saturday what time our wave takes off and can them come a little later if I am in a later wave.

What time are YOU planning on getting there on Sunday?

Another question.  Where's the best place for them to see me start and finish? (I know ---dumb ??? but thought people might have some insight).  Since they will be carting around three small kids ---it's not like they can move around a lot.  Any suggestions.

2009-07-09 3:23 PM

They can line up along the sides of the lake to see the swim. The finish line has moved from years past because of construction on the new pool. I'm planning to get there about 4:45. The swim exits the lake at the opposite side you start. I'd find out what time my wave starts and base them getting there on that -- they can't be in transition with you. They will also have to figure transportation time from whereever they park.

Here's the latest update I have on the run:

Run course will exit the transition area at the south driveway from the parking lot. You will proceed on the road back toward Hwy 165, then around the lake, and up to where the road runs into Hwy H. At this point you will turn around and start back south on the road. At the boat launch, you will leave the road and get on the running path, and follow it back to the finish line.

Water stops on the run have also changed. There will still be water where you exit the transition area, but the other water stop has moved down to a little south of the beach pavilion. If you’ve run on the path, you may remember there is a spot near the pavilion where the path comes very close to the road. That is where the water tables will be – and you’ll pass it twice. You’ll pass it the first time on the road, at about 8/10th of a mile into the run, then again on the way back on the path at about 2.3 miles into the run.

Hope this helps. I plan on swimming tomorrow afternoon - I'll try and update on the water temp.

Edited by slmoes 2009-07-09 3:25 PM
2009-07-09 3:33 PM

Don't know if this helps or not but here a link to a picture of the new finish line: http://sharontri.com/
2009-07-10 3:28 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I just talked to someone at the beach - they said they don't know for sure, but water temperature is in the low 70's.  I'm not doing a wet suit... Hopefully I won't regret that - but did read a suggestion to wear ear plugs  - I will be doing that!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trekwomen Triathlon Series : Official Thread Rss Feed