General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jackson, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 23s
Overall Rank = 39/315
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/29
Pre-race routine:

Drove an hour south and got there in plenty of time. Pre-race was more like social hour. There was WAY too much time to kill.
Event warmup:

Swam a little. biked a little. ran a little
Swim
  • 11m 50s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal for the swim was to push as long as I can and draft as much as possible. I initially seeded myself in the front middle, about 3 deep. As the race director counted down from 10, I began looking for seems and made a move to a better position. I instantly took off and found good feet. I didn't site all the way until the first turn buoy. The guy in the front of me had a solid half stroke on me but I stuck to his feet and didn't move.

I got a little turned around coming around both turn buoys and went a bit wide on the course. I quickly found a new fish and attacked. It was also clear that everyone's pace was slowing a bit. I found a good set of feet and spent the next 2-3 minutes irritating him. With every stroke of my left hand and made sure to hit is feet. And just as expected, he fluttered and tried to speed up. Keep expending the energy while I glide. I made one last adjustment and made my way to swim exit.
What would you do differently?:

Still need to practice drafting more
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I don't know why they took me so long. I started thinking for a brief moment and it slowed me down.
Bike
  • 36m 42s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 22.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I did the course two years ago and I remember it being a bit challenging while a number of rollers. My strategy was to push the first few miles, establish a steady pace and then pick it up for the last few. Marc, Tony and I played leapfrog for the first few miles. I was using them to push me a bit harder. I finally settled into a solid pace and began pushing a bit more.

The course was as I remembered. It was a lot of uphills and a few very steep downhills. The last 1.5 miles were down hill. My watts started to suffer around mile 9. I was still able to hold a reasonable pace. Doug caught me in the last couple of miles and gave me someone new to use as a carrot.

I was tired from a heavy week of training. My body gave me what it could.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Blah. I spent more time talking than moving in t2
Run
  • 22m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan was to hold on as long as I could. I went out hard and felt like I wasn't holding much back. I new I was moving and kept telling myself that I only needed 20 minutes out of the my legs. I caught one of the cheaters and had a few choice words for him. He mouthed back and I honestly thought we were going to throw down in the middle of the 5k. I just cleared my mind and took pride in the fact that I was passing him with ease.

The course was a rolling out and back. As the leaders came back, no one looked good....everyone was hurting. I was there too. I finally got caught around the turnaround and I tried to go with him but there wasn't much left in the tank. The part that pissed me off most was getting caught in the last half mile. I tried again to push and I couldn't. I was barely keeping it together

I am happy i pushed the run. I am just slow.
Post race
Warm down:

Chilled with friends and waited for the awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not trained for sprints. I am pleased with the race. I felt like I pushed and gave it all that I had to give on that day. I feel like I had strong showings in all three disciplines. I would always like to be faster but I will take what I can. I did manage to take 6 minutes off my time from two years ago. While I was slightly injured at the time, not all of the time came from the run. My bike was significantly better.

Event comments:

Tri the parks puts on solid, low key races. Very well done.

Last updated: 2009-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:50 | 656 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/29
Overall: 51/315
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Triangle, buoys on left
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:42 | 13.7 miles | 22.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/29
Overall: 29/315
Wind: None
Course: big loop with general rollers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:59 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/29
Overall: 77/315
Course: out and back with enough hills to make you work and separate the crowd.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park

2009-06-15 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2218165

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park
Looks like a nice race Andrew, especially if you're not trained for this distance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park Rss Feed