United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 39m 48s
Overall Rank = 1303/1491
Age Group = Athena - 40+
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Event warmup:

Walking from car several blocks to transition....
Swim
  • 43m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure what happened on this swim! Much slower than I anticipated - I thought I was swimming fairly straight, but must have been off course some, and probably going too easy... Did a poor job of drafting - just couldn't seem to find anyone to stick with.... Last stretch of the swim was difficult with increased chop & current.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure where it went wrong - think I probably just need some more OWS practice.
Transition 1
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

Seemed to take my good ol' time in transitions!

Just move faster - it IS a race, afterall! I think I was just more in "complete" than "compete" mode for this race...
Bike
  • 3h 10m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.63 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike leg, as usual, was my best part of the race, but the wind slowed me down. I felt strong throughout, nutrition was spot on, and think I did a decent job of pacing to save some emergy for the run.

Nothing...
Transition 2
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

After poor swim and wind on the bike, I knew by T2 any chance of meeting my goal time was shot, and basically made a decision to take it easy for the rest of the race -- so, took my time in T2 ;)

Nothing on that particular day.... but know I can handle transitions faster in shorter distance races.
Run
  • 2h 35m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

As I said, decided in T2 to take the rest of the race easy. I actually felt pretty good throughout the whole run, but walked all (or at least most) of the aid stations, and some in between. The wind that killed me on the bike course was a help on the run. This out and black flat run along roads with no shade is a bit un-inspiring, especially for us slow pokes out there all by ourselves at the end.... If I had decided to push it, I know I could have shaved a pretty good chunk of time off this "run", but decided it wasn't worth it when I was so far off my goal. I think overall it was a good choice, since I feel I'm recovering quite quickly and will be able to get back to regular training fairly quickly.

Well, on another day, given better conditions, I would have put more effort into the run. But for the day I had, I think I made the right choice in deciding to dog the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special, just walking around....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, not my best performance, but I still had a great time. I think I was just not in "race" mode for this event. This seems to happen to me in races sometimes - I think I tend to push myself harder in training than in races - not sure why that is, exactly... Even though my performance wasn't what I hoped, I had a great time, and feel like my fitness has definitely improved - and in the long run, that's what I'm after.

Event comments:

Very well run event. The completely exposed out and back run is a little bit un-inspiring, but I don't really see any other options for the run given where the event is located. I enjoyed the race - but not entirely sure I will do it again, just because hot, sunny, runs with no shade are not my favorite...

Also, starting in the last wave was kind of a bummer - put me out on the run course late in the day with little company (not entirely by myself, but not very many racers left out on the course with me....) IMO they should send Athenas off earlier in the race.

The last wave was 45-49 females & Athenas. Coincidentally, all but 2 Athenas in the race were aged 45 - 49.... I'm sure other women who might normall race athena went off with their age group waves instead. I know I would have if it had been an option, but I would have been in the last wave either way, so just went ahead and raced Athena. I'm sure this race would have a larger Athena grouping if they put them in an earlier wave.

Last updated: 2009-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:35 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 1314/1491
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Sonar Full-Sleeve
Course: 1 loop rectangular.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:54
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:10:32 | 56 miles | 17.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 1261/1491
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat, one loop course. First 30 or so miles was smooth sailing, but a significant part of the second half was facing some pretty strong winds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:35:41 | 13.1 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 1294/1491
Course: Out and back, flat, boring, no shade....
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-16 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2009-06-16 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2220595

User image

Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

Hey Jenny --- fantastic job at Eagleman and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the experience and not beat yourself up.  Like I said - sometimes the competitor in me would love to see better times but I love the entire experience and don't want to lose that over a few minutes here and there ... looks like you've achieved "the balance".  Proud of your efforts and always respect the fact you're raising a family too.  I'm fortunate to have an incredible wife and two beautiful girls who keep daddy grounded!!!
Good luck from here and I hope you get that "goal time" in your next race!!!

Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out - very thoughtful!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed