General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Workout Frequency and Swim Times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-16 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Swim Workout Frequency and Swim Times
OK, it s a no brainer (generally -- I accept that overtraining, reinforcing bad technique, etc. are exceptions to the rule) that the more you practice the faster you'll get, but I've been surprised at how little extra training it takes to make a big impact.  I've been nursing a sore hip running and, as a result, have found more time to swim.  I'm doing more or less the same things in each workout, but have gone from, on average 1.5-2.0 swims per week to 2.5 swims per week - more or less an extra workout here and there.  Exact times are not important and are relative for each person, but I've seen a significant drop in my 500 and 1,000 times and the ease with which I can hold a faster pace for 100 intervals.

I just wanted to chime in that even modest increases in frequency (one extra swim every week or two) really seem to have a big impact.   Anyone have experience to share on how easy it is to maintain those gains once they are achieved - do they dissappear or do you hang on to them if you ease back the frequency a little bit?

2009-06-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2220915

User image

Lake Norman
Subject: RE: Swim Workout Frequency and Swim Times
I notice more of a cumulative training effect for my swims. The more I swim consistently, the better cumulative effect, and better speed and feel in the water. If I take 3-4 days off, I really feel it when I get back in the water. Great to hear your swims are improving! Good luck on the hip thing.
2009-06-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2220915

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: RE: Swim Workout Frequency and Swim Times

For me it seems that I can maintain swim fitness with two swims per week (about 5,000 meters total with the Masters team).  I think I get faster when I swim 3 or more times per week.

Most of the triathlon season I only swim two, sometimes three times per week (swimming is my strength so I'm less concerned about getting faster).  I'm going to try swimming three to five times per week in July to see what happens!

Brian

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Workout Frequency and Swim Times Rss Feed