General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking shoes for Tri: MTB or Road? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-17 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
Subject: Biking shoes for Tri: MTB or Road?
Apparently, Father's Day will be my opportunity to do some pedal and shoe purchasing.

While perusing the goods at LBS, I was chatting with the salesperson about the shoes, and I couldn't help but notice that the MBT shoes looked to be more suitable for triathlon than their road-oriented brethren (and sistren).  At least they seem more suitable for running through a transition area.

Am I fooled that easily?  (I can't say that it is NOT possible)

What is everyone's shoe preference, and why?

2009-06-17 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2223532

New user
Subject: RE: Biking shoes for Tri: MTB or Road?
I'm no pro, but everything I've read has pointed towards road shoes, more specifically Tri shoes.  As I understand it, Tri shoes have one "wider" strap, that open's out and away from the gears.  I've also heard road shoes can be more preferable if you're doing longer distances though.

To me it doesn't matter; flying mounts and dismounts make 'em all seem the same Cool
2009-06-18 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Running in road shoes through t1 and t2 is very tricky...Fred Flintstone bowling...on the tippy toes is how I do it, so I don't go splat.  I have just invested (yep, I got the pricey shoes) in LG tri shoes this week.  That way I can run barefooted in transition and hopefully pick up some better times for it.  I figure I can get faster this way, with no extra interval work!  Sweet!  Yes, I am that slow in transition, and that lazy!

As for the whole shoes rubberbanded to the bike flying leep thing rray speaks of, um, NO!  Don't know if I'll ever be coordinated enough to pull that off without  falling on my arse.  And I don't bounce like I used to! 

Happy Fathers Day early Eric!
2009-06-22 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
Shoes depend on the aspirations of the participant. If you are bent on starting with shoes clipped into the bike for maximum time savings, then tri shoes all the way. If you want to put your shoes on in transition, then MTB shoes with carbon or hard plastic soles and rubber lugs for traction are the best option as you can run with them way easier. Just make sure they are the three velcro strap type or that if they have a plastic ratchet strap you can leave it semi closed and secure it quickly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking shoes for Tri: MTB or Road? Rss Feed