Columbia Triathlon Association
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 29m 50s
Overall Rank = 641/1544
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 100/197
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the beach house in Bethany, so got up at 4:15, grabbed my Clif bars and Vitamin Water and got on the road by 4:30. Drove to race site and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Left transition with Fred and shot the breeze with him while sitting on the rocks watching the waves ahead of us start. Nice and relaxing with no pressures (this was just a fun race for me anyway, no hopes of doing well with my usual lack of fitness. Just hoping to give Fred a run for his money). Gu ROctane at 45 minutes before the start with some Gu2O and same thing again at 15 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 38m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me. Especially when you consider I still have less than 50k yards in the pool this year with my shoulder issue through Feb. and Mar. Of all my E-Man swims, this was probably the best one. Calm in the water, started off behind everyone and let the melee go on even though I still had my goggles kicked off in the first 200 meters. Just adjusted them and swam on. Stayed out to the left edge of the field most of the time and even got some feet for periods of the swim (which I never do). I did get arm checked in the face twice later in the swim as a guy was swimming at an angle and swam into me. But nothing else of real incident. Not a ton of the wave behind us passed me, so I was happy with that. My goal was to be under 40 and I realistically didn't think I had a chance at that, so I'm really happy I made it!
What would you do differently?:

This was the best swim that I could have had with my fitness and abilities in the race. I was really happy with the result. I'm still slow as sh-t compared to everyone else, but I felt fine and put up the number I was hoping for.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Decent T1. Fastest of all 4 years of doing the race as I did not have a lot of stuff to take with me. I could have been a little faster as I didn't have any real sense of urgency, but still had 62nd in AG and 367th fastest overall.

Nothing really, went well. If I was really "racing" this I would have a little more pep. Could have knocked a few more seconds off probably.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 47s
  • 56.4 miles
  • 22.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Myeh, not a great one. I had forgotten my cyclometer in the car, but it really didn't matter since the only thing I would have used it for was cadence (my magnet for the disc had fallen off and I've been to lazy to put it back on to get my speed and distance). But it would have been useful for the clock so I could time my Gu and fluid intake better.

I settled in pretty quickly and just went by what gear I was in and my usual comfortable cadence. I did not try to push it at all other than when the first of the 30-34 leaders past me (about a dozen of them did overall including Dan - docswim - from BT). I did get "chicked" about 15 miles in but we ended up staying pretty much together until the wind hit. Then she fell off a lot and I kept going my usual effort. I finished in front of her by a bit, but her bike time was about 40 seconds faster than mine. She rocked and I let her know it!! She also finished 2nd in her AG for the race and did awesome.

The wind on the back side was as brutal as usual and I had warned everyone to expect it. Of course I was ready and because I have a really good position on the bike was able to stay in my big chain ring the whole time and not lose a ton of speed. I caught Dan again and we stayed together through the last 10 miles or so of the ride. Even came into transition together (even though his bike split was a few minutes faster than mine because he started behind). I have to admit that if I had not been the "carrot" for him when I passed him that he may not have had the motivation to push it more toward the end. You'd have to ask him, but he was looking like he was not enjoying the ride at all when I passed him and was significantly slower than I would have expected.

In all not a bad ride. I never felt like I was really pushing the pace at all. And while it was not a "Sunday ride" like Placid was, it was not a Columbia type effort (hard). But my legs were twinging a lot from about the halfway point on. Never anything real serious as far as cramps go, but I knew the run was going to be tough. Oh well, so be it. I actually thought my time was faster than this, so I was slightly disappointed after the fact. That is what I get for going "blind" though.

I don't think I drank enough based on what I usually like to do in races. That would prove true on the drive home when my back and kidneys were screaming and the fact that I weighed 168 even efter drinking some and eating at home (I'm usually 170 - 172-ish after races).

Usual. Train more. Not a lot of miles in my legs, especially compared to everyone else I like to "compete" with. Still top 10% overall for the split, but only 16% in the AG. I'd rate this as an "average" ride. Not good, but not bad. I did beat my realistic goal of under 2:30 though.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Another so so transition. Consistent with the T1 split I was 61st in AG and 374th overall for time. I stopped and stretched a little knowing the legs were crampy so that took a little time.

Nothing really. Decent, but not blazing. Again, no real sense of urgency.
Run
  • 2h 18m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This run sucked as you can tell. Not sucked as in "This is a suffer fest and I hate it" but more like "This is the best the legs can do, so let's just get to the finish."

Dan and I came out of transition at the same time and we ran together for a couple hundred yards then he pulled away. Both quads and hammies were cramping a lot and had a side stitch. Slowed down to work out the breathing and the side stitch and then once that was under control worked on being smooth and relaxed to try and make the leg cramping go away. After about 2 miles they relaxed some and effort/pace was where it could be for me to sustain.

Decided to walk the water stops to get fluids in for a hundred yards or so after each one. As the miles went on, this wlaking length crept up a little each time. By mile 10 or so, the legs were shot and it was getting to the point where running longer periods resulted in strong cramps that required walking to relive them. So the last two miles were mostly walking, not jogging.

Ah well, knew that was going to be the result when I came off the bike. I've done enough long distance stuff to know my limitations and the lack of fitness and training always catches up around that point of the race. Ce las vis.

Saw a decent amount of BTers and cheered them on. Finally saw Traci - vballumd - on the run back in. She looked great and was smiling along with her favorite part of the sport. Aaron - jeepfleeb - gave me a nice big smack on the azz when he passed me without about 2 miles to go. He was looking solid. Crossed the line, got my medal and went and sat in the Choptank to cool off.

Train more as usual. I can't say "slow down on the bike" because the effort level was never such that I was pushing. I just don't have the fitness to do this distance well right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the water, drank some fluids. Grabbed my gear and talked with Fred and Bob (Fred had a fantastic race across the board with a huge bike split and Bob wins the gentleman of the year award for stopping and helping a downed rider and sacrificing his own race for helping her). Then walked to the car, got Fred his beer for putting the smack down on me and hopped in the buggy and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack-o-training as usual for long distance races. It is easy to "fake" my way through shorter stuff and still do well. Long distance races you can't do that.

Event comments:

Yet another well run CTA event. This was my 4th year doing the race, 3rd finish (dropped out during the run last year). I finished, but it was not really that great of a race overall. Good swim, okay bike, crappy "run." Time still puts me in the upper half of the field, but c'mon, will I ever really be happy with that??? Of course not.

I decided (for real this time) that I really don't enjoy long distance races and that I will not be signing up for anymore until I have adequate time to train. The experiences are just not pleasant for me and I have no desire to make every long distance event a suffer fest later in the event. Until I can seriously train for them and put in the sort of time that I know I need to compete, I'm not going to waste any more money on it. Aside from the fact that I seem to have a beter capacity to go pretty fast for shorter distances and sustain it. So that is what I'm going to stick with.

Last updated: 2008-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 138/197
Overall: 969/1544
Performance: Good
No HRM (or watch even).
Suit: Desoto Black Pearl (Arrrrrrrrrr)
Course: Clockwise rectangle through the Choptank. Different course (for the 4th year in a row) than every other time.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:27:47 | 56.4 miles | 22.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/197
Overall: 138/1544
Performance: Average
No HRM (or watch or cyclometer).
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Counterclockwise loop through the Blackwater Refuge and Cambridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:18:18 | 13.1 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 148/197
Overall: 1062/1544
Performance: Bad
No HRM or watch.
Course: Out and back along flat road and no shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-19 9:01 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2009-06-19 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2228633

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
hey man, good race, even though you didn't train for it...and for a leisurely stroll, your bike is blazing.
2009-06-19 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
For a newbie like myself, your bike splits are still amazing.  It was nice talking with you on Saturday. 

--Josh
2009-06-19 10:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-19 10:22 AM

Pro
yep,

What if I said lets do a 1/2 IM as a relay?  Get some super faster runner (Traci) and I can swim the distance (even though I like biking  alot better).  Will that make you do another longer distance race   Great race.  I really enjoyed cheering you on out there and seeing that you were enjoying the race.  Or well maybe you were enjoying it cause you just put down a sub 2:30 bike split.

2009-06-19 11:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Sorry about the run, but your bike split is so amazing.  I'm in awe.  Nice chatting with you on Saturday.  See you in Baltimore for the marathon. 

2009-06-19 4:34 PM

2009-06-19 7:05 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Good stuff, Rick.
2009-06-19 7:21 PM

Veteran
Beatrice NE.

Nice race and report.  Awesome bike time. 

2009-06-19 8:06 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed