General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I suck at getting up early in the morning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2232660

User image

Colorado
Subject: RE: I suck at getting up early in the morning
I get up early no problem but no way am I going to swim or run...
I love riding in the morning before the crowds and heat... and lifting is good first off in the am.
So maybe it's a matter of juggling workouts to focus on what you really love..

2009-06-22 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
dude, early bird get's the worm.  i agree with HTFU.  we can spin it in our minds all we want and even try to set the alarm to trigger the fire alarm in the house, but the bottom line is.....only way to get ur bum out of bed in the morning is to HTFU and just do it.  excuses are like a$$holes, everyone's got one and they all stink. 
2009-06-22 1:05 PM

Veteran
Two suggestions.

First make a workout appointment with someone who will beat the crap out of you if you do not show up.

Second, get one of these. http://www.nandahome.com/products/index.php/>
Gordon
2009-06-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2234352

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
kesslergk - 2009-06-22 2:05 PM Two suggestions.

First make a workout appointment with someone who will beat the crap out of you if you do not show up.

Second, get one of these. http://www.nandahome.com/products/index.php/>
Gordon

Done #1. Meet my brother for running sometimes on the weekends. I get up easier on the weekends. No stress of having to do something AND get to work at a decent time.
2009-06-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2234004

Pro
yep,

Experior - 2009-06-22 12:35 PM
latrina - 2009-06-22 11:26 AM why does he have to HTFU? no way dude. If you don't like it, then don't. just do your training at night as long as it fits in with your life.

who cares what other people do? including the people on this board. accept what you can do right now and just go with it.

(I fought that morning battle for my first 1 yr of tri's. I finally gave up this past march. and you know what? now I WANT to get up at 6 am to try to fit something in. but only because I'm not stressing myself out any more. And if i don't get up, who cares I'll just do it at night. I've been getting up at 4:45am for 1 thing Only. that's my 2x/week computrainer class. And let me tell ya...i've JUST started getting up to wear it's not a "issue" for me. Didn't matter if I went to sleep at 9pm or 10.)

screw what everyone else says. Do what you can do until you can do something else.

I suggested HTFU because OP said he WANTS to get up earlier, but isn't managing it.  I've got nothing against training in the evening, at noon, whenever.  For all I care OP can sleep 'till noon.  He said he WANTS to get up earlier, but instead hits the snooze button.  Sounds like HTFU to me.

cusetri:  yes, it is important to remember how fortunate we are to have time to train (or choose not to).  Let's bear in mind, also, that one of the serious hazards faced by the single mom that you described is long-term illness and stress due to sleep deprivation and overwork.  We want to remember how lucky we are, and better yet do something to help her out, but we don't necessarily want to emulate her sleeping patterns.  Early to bed is still a good idea...

x2... my point exactly.  I've had MANY.. and trust me MANY days where I want my head to be back on the pillow but than I think what my opponent is doing right than.  Then get the motivation to know that they won't beat me in the next race b/c I'm training when they are sleeping.

2009-06-22 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD

I appreciate all the responses. And I think HTFU works to a point, but there have been times I have set my alarm for 4:30, and the next thing I know its 7:00, not really knowing how I got from point A to point B. Somehow I turned the thing off, but I don't remember how. When I am jolted up by some annoying unwelcomed noise, my state of mind is not always normal. I am not always thinking clearly.

I realize I could get up earlier if I went to bed earlier, but I just cannot seem to break the cycle of staying up later, and sleeping later. Too much going on. I'm trying.

The other even bigger benefit of getting up early is that I can make better time getting to work with less traffic and saving me more time later in the day.

My pool opens at 5:00am, and its great being there with all the other swimmers instead of struggling with the swim teams, and old ladies floating in their tubes during after work hours. This is why I started swimming at night.

And the struggle continues...

2009-06-22 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2233782

User image

Master
syracuse
latrina - 2009-06-22 11:26 AM why does he have to HTFU? no way dude. If you don't like it, then don't. just do your training at night as long as it fits in with your life.

who cares what other people do? including the people on this board. accept what you can do right now and just go with it.

(I fought that morning battle for my first 1 yr of tri's. I finally gave up this past march. and you know what? now I WANT to get up at 6 am to try to fit something in. but only because I'm not stressing myself out any more. And if i don't get up, who cares I'll just do it at night. I've been getting up at 4:45am for 1 thing Only. that's my 2x/week computrainer class. And let me tell ya...i've JUST started getting up to wear it's not a "issue" for me. Didn't matter if I went to sleep at 9pm or 10.)

screw what everyone else says. Do what you can do until you can do something else.

He doesn't.  One less person I need to chase down.
2009-06-22 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2233079

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Zane - 2009-06-22 6:17 AM If it makes you feel any better. It has scientifically proven that working out in the morning is actually worst for you in the long term. Our blood pressure is at its highest between 6am-8am and the blood itself is sticky. Two things that can lead to heart problems.

- Zane

Umm, care to cite a source then?

Because the Mayo Clinic disagrees:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/AN00391

(sorry for the hijack)

2009-06-22 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2234436

User image

, Arizona
GaryGnu - 2009-06-22 11:28 AM

I appreciate all the responses. And I think HTFU works to a point, but there have been times I have set my alarm for 4:30, and the next thing I know its 7:00, not really knowing how I got from point A to point B. Somehow I turned the thing off, but I don't remember how. When I am jolted up by some annoying unwelcomed noise, my state of mind is not always normal. I am not always thinking clearly.

I realize I could get up earlier if I went to bed earlier, but I just cannot seem to break the cycle of staying up later, and sleeping later. Too much going on. I'm trying.

The other even bigger benefit of getting up early is that I can make better time getting to work with less traffic and saving me more time later in the day.

My pool opens at 5:00am, and its great being there with all the other swimmers instead of struggling with the swim teams, and old ladies floating in their tubes during after work hours. This is why I started swimming at night.

And the struggle continues...

I know exactly what you mean, I did the same thing, wake up hours later and don't even remember my alarm going off. You need to put your alarm somewhere that makes you get OUT of bed or this will continue to happen. Getting up gives you that short amount of time you need to wake up a little and you won't be able to immediately fall back asleep.
2009-06-22 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2234481

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
roch1009 - 2009-06-22 1:41 PM

Zane - 2009-06-22 6:17 AM If it makes you feel any better. It has scientifically proven that working out in the morning is actually worst for you in the long term. Our blood pressure is at its highest between 6am-8am and the blood itself is sticky. Two things that can lead to heart problems.

- Zane

Umm, care to cite a source then?

Because the Mayo Clinic disagrees:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/AN00391

(sorry for the hijack)

i saw something on the discovery health channel/science channel/some channel on the internal body clock and how to get the most out of your day.  working out and training was a big focus of the show.  the conclusion was exactly as they stated above....earlier workouts don't yeild as much benefit as early evening workouts based on how the internal clock works.  they had lots of data and experiments.  don't know how true it is cause i'm no Dr., but sure was interesting.

you might be able to find it on one of those channels websites if you really care to look.
2009-06-22 2:58 PM

I'll second what somebody else said.  Lay out all your gear the night before.  Shoes, socks, hydration, whatever you need.  If you're going for a bike ride, put your bike as close to the door as possible.

This helped me in two ways.  First, getting up didn't seem so daunting because the first step didn't involve rummaging around my apartment for everything I needed.  I could get up and be out the door in just a few minutes.

Second, putting the effort to get everything together the night before motivated me to get moving early because it put me in the right frame of mind to go work out and I didn't want to have wasted all that effort the night before.

2009-06-22 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I am going to chime in and say that I definitely do not think this is necessarily a case of HTFU.  I really truly feel there are some folks who just are NOT morning people.  Really.

That being said...it's way easier to train in the morning so us non-morning people need to figure out a way to make it happen.

Moving the alarm clock across the room doesn't help me AT ALL.  In college I could actually climb down out of my bunk bed to hit snooze and climb back UP into the bed and go back to sleep.  Really.  Actually setting foot out of the bed doesn't do a darn THING for me...it's just as easy to go back to bed as if I was merely rolling over and hitting snooze.

And packing everything up the night before ends up backfiring on me half the time.  It always seems like the days I'm all packed up are the ones that I end up oversleeping for and thus must unpack everything before I can get ready.

I wish I could help you, Gary...but this is still a mystery to me too.  The only thing that has really ever worked for me was meeting others to train.  If I know someone is going to be there waiting for me, I get up and go.  Same goes for races...I can manage that.  But if there isn't a true consequence for not getting out of bed, I have a really hard time with it.

Edited to fix my spelling stupidity.

Edited by jldicarlo 2009-06-22 3:25 PM
2009-06-22 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2234449

User image

Expert
Decatur
cusetri - 2009-06-22 2:31 PM

He doesn't.  One less person I need to chase down.

not necessarily if he is getting his training done in the evening...
2009-06-22 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
Theory; Your training hasn't got the highest priority. Therefore the will to sleep wins...
Practice; HTFU, can't you overwin yourself?
2009-06-22 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2234922

User image

Expert
Decatur
jldicarlo - 2009-06-22 4:21 PM I am going to chime in and say that I definitely do not think this is necessarily a case of HTFU.  I really truly feel there are some folks who just are NOT morning people.  Really.

That being said...it's way easier to train in the morning so us non-morning people need to figure out a way to make it happen.

Moving the alarm clock across the room doesn't help me AT ALL.  In college I could actually climb down out of my bunk bed to hit snooze and climb back UP into the bed and go back to sleep.  Really.  Actually setting foot out of the bed doesn't do a darn THING for me...it's just as easy to go back to bed as if I was merely rolling over and hitting snooze.

And packing everything up the night before ends up backfiring on me half the time.  It always seems like the days I'm all packed up are the ones that I end up oversleeping for and thus must unpack everything before I can get ready.

I wish I could help you, Gary...but this is still a mystery to me too.  The only thing that has really ever worked for me was meeting others to train.  If I know someone is going to be there waiting for me, I get up and go.  Same goes for races...I can manage that.  But if there isn't a true consequence for not getting out of bed, I have a really hard time with it.

Edited to fix my spelling stupidity.

x2. Having a class of 8 other triathletes wondering where you are at 530am did it for me. Now I'm usually up by 6am on the days I don't have class. not working out at that time ALL the time, but at least if i want to I can. Some days i roll back over and workout in the evening, other days i get up. depends.
2009-06-22 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Go back to bed.

See you on race day.

; )

2009-06-22 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2234955

User image

The only thing that has really ever worked for me was meeting others to train.  If I know someone is going to be there waiting for me, I get up and go.  Same goes for races...I can manage that.  But if there isn't a true consequence for not getting out of bed, I have a really hard time with it.

x 2.   If I make plans to meet someone, I get up 99% of the time.  If I am just going by myself, I sleep in 60% of the time
2009-06-22 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2235140

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
monkeyboy64 - 2009-06-22 4:14 PM Go back to bed. See you on race day. ; )

People should really READ the OP's post.  He's not saying that he isn't TRAINING.  Just that he isn't training in the MORNING but would LIKE to train in the morning.

I get all my training done too whether I get up early to do it or end up doing it after work.
2009-06-22 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2234922

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
jldicarlo - 2009-06-22 4:21 PM

[...]

Moving the alarm clock across the room doesn't help me AT ALL.  In college I could actually climb down out of my bunk bed to hit snooze and climb back UP into the bed and go back to sleep. 
[...]

LOL. I have done this too. Well, not in a bunk bed, but still... *really* irritates the wife. And I've told my wife, if I won't get up, just push me out of bed... She hasn't done that yet.
2009-06-22 5:44 PM

User image

Central Florida
I would love to train in the mornings... but I have no set schedule, and therefore train when I can. That sometimes meant running at 2pm in the summer heat. But if I was working nights from 7p-7a, that WAS morning. I tend to work out when I get up, but sometimes that's 9am, sometimes that's noon, sometimes later. If I'm being good, that is.

I find that the pool is often not terribly busy at noon.

I can be a morning person if my life dictates it. The current job (and for the forseeable future) has me working random days/nights/evenings/weekends. I just wish my gym had later hours...

And to whoever wrote about working out post-call, you are a stud my friend. I was always just a vegetable. (But no call for me anymore! Just crazy hours...)
2009-06-22 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2233384

User image

Veteran
Roxborough Park
RichieRich - 2009-06-22 7:37 AM Seize the day.  Make it your b!tch.

x2

2009-07-09 11:15 AM

User image

, Arizona
2009-07-09 11:50 AM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I hate to get up early to workout, but I do it because the other option is being away from the family while they are awake. I value both activities, but I promised my wife training wouldn't take the place of time with my boy. There are exceptions to that of course, but for the most part, my workouts are before he gets up and after he hits the sack.

For me it is a question of priorities.

Mike
2009-07-09 1:25 PM

I have had this problem for almost my whole life... but after being late for work too much, I must now become an early riser! I found this really interesting website from this lifestyle guru guy about how to become an early riser. I guess he's kind of new-agey, but a lot of what he writes makes sense. He says that anyone can be an early riser, and has some tricks, training and strategies for it. Here's the link... there are several parts to it. Hope it helps!

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/05/how-to-become-an-early-ris...

Today was my first day of being on the early-riser wagon and I really liked it. I actually had time to pack my lunch and even straighten up my house a bit. So, for me, it's one day at a time, and so far I am a success!
2009-07-09 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
I am not very good at getting up in the morning, but I have been running at 5:15 am for the past few weeks.  I have a job that I have to be at around 6:30 or 7, so it works for me.  I was running at lunch and I still have that option if I need to, but it is starting to get really hot and humid that time of the day.  Plus I can use that time for biking or weights.  Time management for me.  I really don't want to miss time with my kids, so I think about that when I a keep hitting the snooze button.  It gets easier with time.  Nothing beats running early morning when the sun is just starting to come up!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I suck at getting up early in the morning Rss Feed  

of 3