General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triangle Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-07-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2281134

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Triangle Triathlon : Official Thread
geepee - 2009-07-13 11:23 AM Well, now that my first Triathlon is behind me, I can say with out a doubt that swimming in a pool is nothing like an OWS.  Wow! is all I can say. That 750m had to hae been one of the most difficult things I have ever done. and to make it worse, I turned too early (at the second bouy on the back stretch instead of the third) and got halfway back to the shore before I realized it (well, really someone a canoe had to come right up to me and redirect me) and had to reroute myself back to the correct path.  I am an idiot I know.  The transitions were a lot toougher than I thought they would be, I willl have to be more organized next time to not waste valuable seconds.

Overall though, a fun experience.  I will have to work at the swimming and sign up for another one!

Yes, the swim is very hard. They say to add at least 10% of the distance to a pool swim to make it feel anything like the OW distance (because pushing off every 50 or 25 yards is a luxury we don't get in OW). Plus, yesterday the water was choppy so you had a double whammy. Add to that getting hit, kicked, drafted, drafting, it all adds up to something very unlike a pool swim.

Yesterday, frankly, was the first tri when I actually didn't shy away from contact by trying to completely avoid people. People don't want contact, so when you hit each other you both adjust and it works out fine, and you might even get some draft out of it.

I also went completely off route in my first tri, and the canoe people had to come redirect me This was only my fourth tri, and I almost too a left turn at that second buoy too!

Congratulations!

There's one in Roxboro NC in August see ya there!

Edited by neuronet 2009-07-13 11:56 AM

2009-07-13 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2281002

User image

Veteran
DMarkSwan - 2009-07-13 10:48 AM

Sorry I didn't get to meet more of you. I was the guy in the cowboy hat spraying people at the first water station on the run. Unless you didn't want to be sprayed, in which case that was some other guy that looks sorta like me.

Thanks, that felt really really good. It was a tough run for me and the water stations kept me going.

The tepid Heed was disgusting and somewhat nauseous. I ended up just drinking Sprite and (mostly) water.

The volunteers work their butts off, and I thank you.

Edited by neuronet 2009-07-13 11:58 AM
2009-07-13 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2281002

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
To DMARKSWAN and FATMOUSE, thanks for volunteering.  I think I will do that next year in a Sprint to get a perspective.  Anyway, very thankful for all you guys did..no get back to training for the next race!
2009-07-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2234664

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
I actually loved the course from the swim, bike, and the trail run..it was different and helped keep my interest.  The parking was a major oversight and hope it is corrected next year.  Perhaps raise the price by $5-$10 and get some busses to bring families in?

I finished 3rd in Master Novice (1:42 flat) and while I am extremely proud I am keenely aware that in my AG I would have ranked 50th! I know I have created high expectations but I have read that there is an overwhelming enhanced difference a year can make.  TBD.

I plan to hit the pool today and get back at it.  Work on stroke, rotation, pull, speed, and all that other technical talk.  Ride on the trainer tonight for 30 minutes to losen up.  AUGUSTA HALF in 84 days!

My mission today..tell my wife how cheap and awesome those TT bikes are and how if I had that I probably could have placed 49th in my AG!!!!
2009-07-13 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Oh no, I just checked and it looks like the boy may not have finished. There were 2 obviously young ones, so I don't know which one didn't make it. I hope they didn't pull him, he could have walked the last couple of miles (he'd have to to parking anyway). I mentioned him to the RD so he could keep an eye out. I hope he wasn't pulled. In trying to look out for him I may have ratted him out.

2009-07-13 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Mark - so that was you with the hose?!?  Great!  And thank you to Fatmouse and all the other volunteers.  I've volunteered at the Duke half before and I agree, you really get a different perspective of a race.

Did anyone else find the misting tent as you exited the water odd?  I mean, weren't we all soaking already?  I had to chuckle at that one.

Speaking of the HEED, I agree, some water would have been nice.  I was at the setup the night before checking things out and saw them setting out the fruit baskets!  To me, that was kind of yucky, especially the peaches.  They did have nice food though and plenty of water on the run. 

2009-07-13 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2281521

User image

Master
Raleigh
tahrens - 2009-07-13 2:05 AM
Did anyone else find the misting tent as you exited the water odd?  I mean, weren't we all soaking already?  I had to chuckle at that one.

i thought it was Nuke wash...
2009-07-14 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
I was excited to get a peach at the end! I love peaches!!!

Laughing

Anyone doing the Mayo Lake sprint on August 15?
2009-07-14 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I was in such a frenzy during the race that i did not really even 'see' any of the volunteers. I don't think I even thanked any of them or even waved at them. I usually do! That was very bad of me! SO....Thank you very much DmarkSwan and Fatmouse and anyone else out there helping on the course!!!

My brain doesn't work too well when I am in that racing frame of mind, especially with Sprints where I am redlining the whole time! After I crossed the finish line, the guy from the Trysports Raleigh store said "hi" to me. I had to ask, "Do I know you?" I'd seen the guy a ton of times before - he did a running shoe fit for me, and I have chatted with him at other races, but it just didn't hit me. So, if any of you all see me at another race, please please come and introduce yourself to me. Once you do that, my brain will register who you are. I am so sorry, Tracy that I didn't see you at the swim start!

2009-07-14 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2284382

User image

Master
Raleigh
keyone - 2009-07-14 12:50 AM I was in such a frenzy during the race that i did not really even 'see' any of the volunteers. I don't think I even thanked any of them or even waved at them. I usually do! That was very bad of me! SO....Thank you very much DmarkSwan and Fatmouse and anyone else out there helping on the course!!! My brain doesn't work too well when I am in that racing frame of mind, especially with Sprints where I am redlining the whole time! After I crossed the finish line, the guy from the Trysports Raleigh store said "hi" to me. I had to ask, "Do I know you?" I'd seen the guy a ton of times before - he did a running shoe fit for me, and I have chatted with him at other races, but it just didn't hit me. So, if any of you all see me at another race, please please come and introduce yourself to me. Once you do that, my brain will register who you are. I am so sorry, Tracy that I didn't see you at the swim start!

hehe..yea i saw you at swim start too...but i wasn't about to bother you with a "hey what's up" as you looked extremely focused. Luckily i caught u post-focus.

And yes, thank u to all the asst. everyone provided...i tried to thank the vols and the sheriffs as i passed
2009-07-14 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
It's funny that keyone mentioned the thing about not thanking volunteers...I regretfully feel the same way today.  I think I was just racing angry for some reason Sunday.  I was mouthing off at guys riding 4-wide in front of me up Friendship ("Unless you're passing, KEEP RIGHT!!" I think I said, a few times).  I was yelling at the guy that insisted on keeping left back in the park, which caused me to go WAY left, which then caused me to run DeShon off into the grass.  Thank goodness he went on to win his age group-I'd have been really upset if he didn't.

I'm normally a chipper racer.  I usually thank everyone I see.  But when I woke up Sunday, I told myself that I was in it to race today.  I wanted so badly to be able to put up a challenge to my buddy Paul.  I needed a good swim, a perfect T1, a balls-out bike, a perfect T2, and a fast run.  As it was, the swim wasn't what I expected, I hit a pretty good T1, the bike was hard but not balls-out, T2 was about as good as it's gonna get, and the run was mediocre.  And he beat me by 4:15.

2009-07-14 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
Aquaphor Chic here!!  Fun meeting some of you via Carol at the race on Sunday.  

Loved the course, said thanks to several police officers during the bike.  And the gal taking timing chips at the end of the course. 

Carol...I did put on socks before the run...   can't tolerate the blisters.  Hmmm...how much time do you think that added??  heh, heh....

Had a brain lapse getting off the bike, and took one foot out of the shoe but not the other, knocked my shoe off the bike and had to stop and get it.  Heard a spectator say "ouch". Funny!

Great day in all.  Hope to see some of you in the future.   

My calendar:
Aug 1st - Ride For Life Metric Century - Carthage, NC
Sept 7th - Tour De Moore Century
Sept 12th - Dash For Divas
Sept 19th - Wilmington YMCA Tri
Sept 27th - 70.3 Augusta
Oct 10th - Pinehurst  

2009-07-14 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Don't sweat it guys, plenty of people thanked different volunteers. It would be exhausting if every racer thanked every volunteer. We got plenty of positive energy from the racers whether they said "thank you" or not. And a tip, if you aren't feeling it, don't force it.

2009-07-14 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2285645

User image

Master
Raleigh
gts - 2009-07-14 9:00 AM Aquaphor Chic here!!  Fun meeting some of you via Carol at the race on Sunday. 

Welcome!
 Apreesh the loob samplesCool
2009-07-14 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
gts - 2009-07-14 9:00 PM

Aquaphor Chic here!!  Fun meeting some of you via Carol at the race on Sunday.  

Loved the course, said thanks to several police officers during the bike.  And the gal taking timing chips at the end of the course. 

Carol...I did put on socks before the run...   can't tolerate the blisters.  Hmmm...how much time do you think that added??  heh, heh....

Had a brain lapse getting off the bike, and took one foot out of the shoe but not the other, knocked my shoe off the bike and had to stop and get it.  Heard a spectator say "ouch". Funny!

My calendar:
Sept 27th - 70.3 Augusta
Oct 10th - Pinehurst  

OUCH, Ginger, that hurts worse than blisters!! Maybe we should BOTH try some of that Aquaphor stuff, LOL! Glad to see you on here
I might have to make my logs private now, so you can't stalk my workouts!

Ginger is easy to spot at races because of her team aquaphor uniform. If you see her, go say "hi". She's super friendly and nice (even tho she always beats me!) and will give you some free Aquaphor samples.

Edited by keyone 2009-07-14 8:40 PM
2009-07-14 8:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
gts - 2009-07-14 9:00 PM Aquaphor Chic here!!  Fun meeting some of you via Carol at the race on Sunday.  

My calendar:
Sept 27th - 70.3 Augusta
Oct 10th - Pinehurst  

GTS...looks like we have a similar race schedule.  I'll be at the Wilmington Tri, Augusta and Pinehurst as well!

2009-07-14 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I met Ginger at Hawley's when she hooked me up with some great advice before the REV3. Very cool lady and the samples cam in handy for that one...believe me!
2009-07-14 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2285859

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh yeah, I'll be at Augusta and Pinehurst as well....Wilmington if I can make the wait list.
2009-08-11 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2284805

User image

Veteran
fgump - 2009-07-14 2:14 PM It's funny that keyone mentioned the thing about not thanking volunteers...I regretfully feel the same way today.  I think I was just racing angry for some reason Sunday.  I was mouthing off at guys riding 4-wide in front of me up Friendship ("Unless you're passing, KEEP RIGHT!!" I think I said, a few times).  I was yelling at the guy that insisted on keeping left back in the park, which caused me to go WAY left, which then caused me to run DeShon off into the grass.  Thank goodness he went on to win his age group-I'd have been really upset if he didn't.

Maybe you yelled at me. I was meandering around in the middle of the road and someone passed and yelled 'Stay right or they will penalize you!' I was like 'Oops.'

Edited by neuronet 2009-08-11 3:24 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triangle Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4