General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the New London Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-22 9:28 PM

Subject: Anyone doing the New London Tri?
Just seeing if there was anyone else out there doing the New London sprint tri on August 9th.  This is going to be my first triathlon and I'm a little nervous and a lot excited.  I have been running road races for the past few years, and this summer I decided it was time to mix it up.  Any advice about the swimming and biking legs would be much appreciated.  I have just started to get into the pool and my confidence isn't exactly brimming at this point but I'm hoping I'll make it through.  I have a mountain bike which I just bought road slicks for.

I've yet to get tri shorts or a top yet.  Anyone know of a good place for tri gear, either a store or online?  Keep in mind I'm not looking to break the bank!

2009-06-28 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2235786

Subject: RE: Anyone doing the New London Tri?
Hi, I'm new to this myself (just joined the site today) and am intrigued by the NL tri as I live right nearby.  If you live close by, where are you training for the swim?  I am currently a runner, and would like to start easing into sprint tris by next year...

(Sorry I don't have any answers to your questions!)
2009-06-28 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2248621

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me, I'm a runner and I'm trying to ease my way into my first sprint tri right now.  I'm from Manchester, so I'm not exactly right next door to New London, but it's not too much of a hike for me to get up there.  As for the swim, I'm still looking for good places to train myself.  I have been going to a small local pool just to work on breathing technique but it's not big enough to train in- I'm still looking for a bigger pool or lake to really get down to business.

Here's a site with some info on the New London Tri, in case you were curious about the course:
https://development.newlondonhospital.org/events/hospital-days/default.aspx

Are you running any races this summer?

2009-07-15 8:49 AM

Hi, hoping you're still on here - vacations and such have kept me away.

I've just been doing fun local 5Ks this summer, as I'm really busy with grad school stuff.  I'm also picking up my new bike tomorrow (yipee!), so I've been focused on shopping for the right one for a while.  I've been dreaming about getting on it for weeks which has been curbing my enthusiasm for running lately. 

I was planning on checking out upper vally aquatics (in VT, so not near you at all) for help with swimming, as well as colby sawyer college.  I'm a student at UNH in durham as well, so I'm hoping that someone there can train me every so often.  That's going to be my biggest challenge - I've never had a swim lesson!

2009-07-15 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NH

Welcome to BT!  Didn't notice this post when it came up earlier.   I live in Hillsborough now but I lived in Nottingham up until 6 months ago.  I'm pretty sure that UNH has some masters swim classes which are a great place to get much better at swimming for usually a minimum cost.  Does the University offer a swimming class?  I swam up at  the Works in Somersworth, which was really nice but pricey.  I haven't done New London before and I'm getting ready for the Cranberry Oly in late August so I can't make it up there but if there's anything that you have any questions about, I haven't been doing this too long but I'll be happy to help where I can.  I've found that just lurking on the site and reading the forums you can get a ton of information! I hadn't swam, actually swam, since I was a kid so I was in a similar boat last year when I started.  Good Luck!

2009-07-15 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2286392

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
kateflies - 2009-07-15 9:49 AM Hi, hoping you're still on here - vacations and such have kept me away.

I've just been doing fun local 5Ks this summer, as I'm really busy with grad school stuff.  I'm also picking up my new bike tomorrow (yipee!), so I've been focused on shopping for the right one for a while.  I've been dreaming about getting on it for weeks which has been curbing my enthusiasm for running lately. 

I was planning on checking out upper vally aquatics (in VT, so not near you at all) for help with swimming, as well as colby sawyer college.  I'm a student at UNH in durham as well, so I'm hoping that someone there can train me every so often.  That's going to be my biggest challenge - I've never had a swim lesson!

Yeah...and you can also swim at the pool in Portsmouth when you are at UNH.  We do a master's swim also!  Once you get back in session you can come do some open water swims with us if you'd like.  The pond isn't far from UNH.

Luke you better be training!

2009-07-15 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2286392

kateflies - 2009-07-15 8:49 AM Hi, hoping you're still on here - vacations and such have kept me away.

What kind of bike did you get?  I'm going to power through this tri on my mountain bike with road tires but I'm looking to get a road bike eventually.  I started swimming at the local YMCA pool and just had my first lesson the other day.  I haven't swam "for real" in a long, long time and it was a little tricky but I think just getting in the water regularly is really helpful.

Good luck with the grad school stuff.  I just started myself this year and it's proving to be quite the challenge!

Jon- I'm doing my best to be prepared!  Did you decide to do the New London?
2009-07-16 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2287521

I checked out UNH, and the classes sound perfect!  Unfortunately I'm tied to being on campus only on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the fall semester as I'm teaching, and the swims are on Mon, Wed, or Fridays.  Bummer.  I'd definitely be up for some open water stuff once I've gotten into the swing of things, however.

The bike I chose is a Cervelo S1, with Ultegra components.  It's a bit of an investment, but I wanted to get a good bike off the blocks so that I didn't have to mess around later unless I want to upgrade stuff.  I had a 2 1/2 hour fitting as well - I'm really counting on a good fitting bike that will feel really comfortable.

I would love to come and watch the NL tri, but I just figured out that I'll be at a conference in SF that weekend.  In the meantime, I am a serious site lurker and find all this stuff to be extraordinarily cool/interesting.
2009-07-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2288413

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
luke777 - 2009-07-15 10:44 PM
kateflies - 2009-07-15 8:49 AM Hi, hoping you're still on here - vacations and such have kept me away.

What kind of bike did you get?  I'm going to power through this tri on my mountain bike with road tires but I'm looking to get a road bike eventually.  I started swimming at the local YMCA pool and just had my first lesson the other day.  I haven't swam "for real" in a long, long time and it was a little tricky but I think just getting in the water regularly is really helpful.

Good luck with the grad school stuff.  I just started myself this year and it's proving to be quite the challenge!

Jon- I'm doing my best to be prepared!  Did you decide to do the New London?

I actually am backpacking that weekend....will definitely do it if the trip is off though.  Looks like they accept race day registrations as well.
2009-07-28 10:03 AM

New Hampsha
this will be my 1st tri as well. the 1/4 mi swim appeals to me since that is my weakness. i would have liked a longer bike since thats where i excel, oh well

if youre around UNH check out mendums pond. its a $5 day pass to a great lake
2009-07-30 6:48 AM

Hi,  I have done this event in the past and am doing it again this year.  It is a nice course but the bike could be a little longer.  As far as where to buy tri clothes, online OR Goodales has a small tri section in the Nashua store, not sure where you live.  When I did this race I just wore a bathing suit and shorts, the bike is so short you could just swim in regular bike shorts if you had to...Sports authority has bike shorts for about $40.  I just bought my husband some. 

The swim is nice and when I did it they had it set up as an out and back, it looked long but once you got in it was over quick, the bike is a hill in the beginning and then as I remember nothing major after the first hill, the run (my nightmare) has a big hill at the end.  If you go to www.mapmyride.com you can search New London Triathlon and see the course with elevation for the bike and run.

Hope this helps.  Have a great time.

Heather

2009-08-07 8:15 PM

New Hampsha
i got a generic email when i signed up saying theyd send more info in august, yet i havent received anything yet. anyone else on the same boat?
2009-08-08 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2335230

Yeah I haven't received anything else either.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the New London Tri? Rss Feed