General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2010-06-29 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2949983

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

jodavis21 - 2010-06-29 1:30 AM Wow... I can't believe it's over.  Congrats to everyone!  Hope everyone had a great day out there.  

Will probably start writing my RR on the trip home tomorrow, but certainly one highlight will be that swim from hell. 

If you heard a guy screaming in pain at a dead stop in the middle of the stampeed, that was me.

Both calves locked up about 45 mins in.  Eventually made it to a kayak and hung on for what seemed like forever, trying to regroup.   

Finally got? through it and finished.  Ironvirgin no more.  Smile

I saw two people hanging on to a kayak on the second lap heading out. Maybe that was you?

2010-06-29 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2950770

User image

Regular
IRONVIKING - 2010-06-29 9:47 AM

I saw two people hanging on to a kayak on the second lap heading out. Maybe that was you?

Yep, I was hanging on the front.   Interesting vantage point, being a spectator on the swim course for a little while.

2010-06-29 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2236122

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA
Thanks everybody for all of your support on the IM CDA thread. Through two sprained ankles (same foot) and a broken ankle (tip of the bone, nothing bad) I learned lots of tips from everybody and you all were a part of helping me make it to the finish!

Congrats to all of the finishers and good luck to all of your future races!
2010-06-29 12:50 PM

Wow, what an amazing day!  As an almost completely silent stalker (think I posted twice) on this message board, I can't begin to thank you enough for all of the advice and motivation.  This was my first (of hopefully many) ironman races, and I couldn't have been happier with the way the day went.  Special shout out to T, thanks for sharing your list, it really helped me straighten out my gear bags, and to whoever recommended changing cassettes, because I am sure my 11x23 would not have cut it on those hills without completely blowing out my legs.  All in all, I was happy with my time of 11:08, and will be working on bike and swim improvements over the next two years before rejoining the ironman circuit.

Congrats to all of you for an amazing day.  You are awesome.

Edited by splenomeg 2010-06-29 1:04 PM
2010-06-29 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
It was nice meeting some of you!  What an amazing weekend and challenge.  Wow, that was tough!  In summary, the swim was crazy, the bike was tough, and I was fighting demons on the run.  

Most of my race was pretty uneventful.  However, I had a couple of interesting experiences on the bike...  At approx. mile 80, I was catching up to a gal on the bike and I don't think she knew I was there and she stood up for a minute.  I thought she was stretching her legs and back.  Needless to say, she avoided the porta potty and did it on the bike and I got showered.  Not cool.  To add insult to injury, at mile 88 I took a hornet right in the vent of my aero helmet and got stung on the upper forehead.  The hornet continued to buzz around for the next 1-2 minutes.  Uncomfortable.

I was able to finish in 10:44.  The finish chute was something special!  Cour D'Alene did a fantastic job!  Again, congratulations to you all! 

2010-06-29 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2950958

User image

Regular
trilund - 2010-06-29 10:53 AM It was nice meeting some of you!  What an amazing weekend and challenge.  Wow, that was tough!  In summary, the swim was crazy, the bike was tough, and I was fighting demons on the run.  

Most of my race was pretty uneventful.  However, I had a couple of interesting experiences on the bike...  At approx. mile 80, I was catching up to a gal on the bike and I don't think she knew I was there and she stood up for a minute.  I thought she was stretching her legs and back.  Needless to say, she avoided the porta potty and did it on the bike and I got showered.  Not cool.  To add insult to injury, at mile 88 I took a hornet right in the vent of my aero helmet and got stung on the upper forehead.  The hornet continued to buzz around for the next 1-2 minutes.  Uncomfortable.

I was able to finish in 10:44.  The finish chute was something special!  Cour D'Alene did a fantastic job!  Again, congratulations to you all! 

Congrats again Ryan.  Super job.  Funny (or not) story about the hornet.  I felt a few things bouncing off my helmet as well.  Didn't know they might of have been hornets. 

2010-06-29 2:12 PM

User image

Regular
Jon, it was fun to visit with you before the swim and at the finish line.  What a day!  If you ever make it to Boise, let me know.  The Boise 70.3 is a pretty sweet event.

FYI for everyone...  I decided to see if there was any clips posted to youtube.  Dave Erickson (news reporter out of spokane) put together a nice finishing piece of those finishing in the 13 hour range.  Some of you may have been captured in the clip.  Again, congrats!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVriQtFk4w
2010-06-29 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

just to show how cool the locals are, I had (have) horrible blisters and could barely walk.  after the race, I was starting to hobble to the place I was staying (13th St. and Mullan).  I got a block from the finishing village when a couple of locals saw me hobbling and gave me a ride so I wouldn't have to walk.

just as amazing as the race is the scenery and the people. 

as I told someone on Monday, it doesn't seem fair that people get to live in CdA while the rest of us live in cities.  :-)

2010-06-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2951183

User image

Master
I did my RR several times and it never saved. I was using Chrome. I tried it again in IE and it worked just fine. Not sure why one browser would work over another, but something to keep in mind... Fortunately I had put the bulk of it in Word to share elsewhere, so mostly it was just annoying cutting and pasting for me. Looking forward to reading everyone's reports!!
2010-06-29 6:12 PM

User image

New user

Colorado
Hi, all.  Congrats to everyone who was out there on Sunday!  What amazing experience!  

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the video of ourselves crossing the line?  I want to see it because I don't know if I'll ever get out there again.  

Jen 
2010-06-29 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
SO FUN!!!! Considering my lack of training, I finished almost all the splits I set and felt great ALMOST the whole time. Nothing went too crazy wrong. I say a ton of people I knew out there. I was the girl with the "Birthday girl" written on my back. This was the best birthday EVER!!!! Sarah K changed me ( SMALL WORLD) and I saw quite a few SD friends on the run. O this totally rocked. WOOOOOOT!!!!

2010-06-30 1:07 AM
in reply to: #2951966

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
I yelled Happy Day to you!   hope it ended well for you!!   Were you in a skirt?   Or am I mixing you up with someone else?
2010-06-30 2:29 AM

User image

Regular
Remember me? The woman who went down with hypothermia on mile 17 of the run last year? Not this year! 12:44:09. Seriously happy!! JOY! :D

Edited by NLG 2010-06-30 2:29 AM
2010-06-30 10:00 AM

User image

Tampa, FL
I finally made it back home. It was a long trip yesterday.

As others have said the swim was very crowded. I had my watch ripped from my wrist in the first 50m of the swim. So if anyone finds an Ironman Timex on the beach it is mine. The bike was good. The head wind back into town on the 2nd loop right when you think you have that nice downhill ride was difficult. But my understanding is that you always have that wind building off the lake as the day goes on. As for the run, any run after a 6+ hour warm up is going to be difficult.
I finished in 10:11:32.

Congrats to all.
2010-06-30 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2952917

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

And if anyone finds my Garmin 310XT there alongside it, send it home to me.  It too was 'liberated' during the swim.     That was the only disappointing part of a great day.  (There were other challenging parts, sure, but those are to be expected, right?)

Although, I must say I'm very happy that I did just fine racing entirely by feel.  No HR, no pace info.  Nothing but milage and then only for the bike.  The only time I even knew my times were the transition starts and exits, and I finally asked someone the time when I topped the hill at the turnaround on my second lap.  End result --> 11:50:57 <-- yea!!

2010-06-30 4:32 PM

New Smyrna Beach FL
Hey Fellow Ironpeople,
I just want to say thanks for all the advice and very valuable info that was posted by all of you.
As for a RR, I had a good race day too. Swim was interesting to say the least, 1:29, bout where i thought i would be. I thought the second lap was tougher getting around the turn markers, seemed like there was more chop. T1 was slow but then I was playing it safe and concentrating on being ready to ride than running out of the tent out of whack. Plus i stopped to relieve myself. Bike was good but I rode conservatively (was thinking about the run), bumped it up on the second loop. Run was good, started out at the pace i wanted but after the start of the second loop, realized i needed to fuel up more, lucky there was no shortage of aid stations and powergels. I finished at 11:29, I'm happy with that but definetely will/should improve on that next time. As you've all said, the crowds and city couldn't be more supportive. I hope to come back to CDA and do it again. Don't know what's next but it sure is a good feeling to be an ironman. - Cheetah/jaydog

2010-06-30 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
My Dad took a pretty good video of the swim start. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoRFPNLH_Rk

Hard to believe we all converge at one bouy.
2010-07-01 8:27 AM

User image

New York, NY
All of my race reports are up at http://www.speedycb.com./>
I had a blast. It went by so fast. I'd say it was both the longest, and shortest, day of my life. That swim was pretty brutal. I have cuts on my toes from people's fingernails! I negative split almost everything all day which felt great. A steady race all around. 13:26 for me which sounds slow looking at all of your times, but I'm fine with it being my first IM. Gives me room to improve! (What am I saying? Does this mean I want to do this all over again????)

Did anyone else battle severe nausea or anything? I have some teammates who got pretty ill on the run and heard a lot of other people complaining. I was wondering if it was the normal amount of people getting sick during an IM or if something else was up....

Also...did anyone notice that a men's 40-44 Kona slot rolled down to 118th place!!! Let this be a lesson!! ALWAYS GO TO ROLLDOWN!!!!
2010-07-01 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2955311

User image

Tampa, FL
speedycb - 2010-07-01 9:27 AM

Also...did anyone notice that a men's 40-44 Kona slot rolled down to 118th place!!! Let this be a lesson!! ALWAYS GO TO ROLLDOWN!!!!

The last KONA slot in the M 40-44 went to the 12th place.
2010-07-01 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2955504

User image

Veteran
Spokane
Wow - good job everyone! What an awesome event (again). I was able to improve my time by almost 30 minutes from lastyear. Finishing time was 12:20 (or there abouts).

Anyone else sign up for next year?
2010-07-01 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2952329

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
velcromom - 2010-06-30 1:07 AM

I yelled Happy Day to you!   hope it ended well for you!!   Were you in a skirt?   Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

haha, that was me!!

2010-07-01 4:03 PM

User image

New user

New Haven
Absolutely loved the week leading up, and the race.  I will be doing this event again.

As for the race, as my first triathlon (sprint and 1 Olympic in training) I think it went well.  I finished!  The swim went as I expected and was actually a lot of fun.  The bike kicked my butt.  I did not put in enough time on the bike in training, and my bike is a bit heavy (I will be buying a nice bike as I plan to do many more IM's).  The hills drained my legs and the lack of sufficient sunblock led to some serious burning!  On the run, I felt very comfortable.  I came off the bike and ran a 7:40 mile, realized it was way to fast and paced myself.  Ran the first 13.1 in around 1:50, but had some cramping issues come up after mile 20.  That said, I only walked about 25 minutes total and ran a 4:20.
Overall:  1:33 swim, 7:30 bike, 4:20 run.

I think it's realistic to get my bike down at least an hour, and my run under 4:00.  My next IM goal will be sub 12:00.  It was a great learning experience and very nice to meet everyone.  Best of luck in your training and enjoy this week "off"!  Happy 4th!
2010-07-01 7:27 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hey all, sorry I missed the get together, things went kind of crazy before we left.  I ended up with a time of 12:40 and was able to run the entire marathon, if at a slower pace than I had wanted to.  The lack of long run training and the calf threatening to become ugly around mile 15 held me to around a 10 mpm pace or a 4:23 marathon. 

Those hills were a bit more interesting than I had planned on in my training.... just so many of them.  Oh well, another live and learn lesson. 

That swim start was memorable.  I went way off course on the swim on the downwind side, need to work on openwater sighting in 1.5 foot waves....  Oh well, a good learning experience. 

So although my time was slower than last year, it wasn't that much slower.  It was well worth the trip and I have my finisher's medal. 

Grats to everyone else, some very nice times there. 
2010-07-01 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2955311

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Congrats!  I finished in 13:25:01.  You must have been RIGHT BEHIND me at the finish  

BTW- did everyone get to see their race pics?  They are all available to viewing today- or at least mine are  
2010-07-01 9:57 PM

Regular
Annapolis, MD
Congrats to all BT finishers.  My race went well as I finished under my 12 hr. goal at 11:56:01.  The experience will not be forgotten.  Thanks to all for your help in this thread.

Jeff
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 53