General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Training Plans with strength training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-23 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Subject: BT Training Plans with strength training
Why is the strength training in the BT plans  focused only on back and legs?  What about chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc????

2009-06-24 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2237646

Regular
Subject: RE: BT Training Plans with strength training
Because those are the dominant muscles for triathletes.  Back is typically all pulling motions, as is swimming.  Legs are, well, self explanatory: they are used in biking, running, and swimming. 

Most beginner programs are designed to get you into tri shape immediately, which means max recovery for your tri-dominant muscles after you wear them out.  Giving equal attention to other muscle groups, i.e. ones that play only a minor role in triathlons, only slows your recovery of your tri-dominant muscles.

I certainly don't agree with BT training programs from a long term standpoint, but if in fact you are a beginner, focusing primarily on legs and back will yield the best results in a short time frame.

By the way, I eat because I like to run

Edited by jss8422 2009-06-24 12:09 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Training Plans with strength training Rss Feed