General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Padden tri - swim to bike transition question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-23 11:29 PM

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
Subject: Lake Padden tri - swim to bike transition question

Would appreciate any tips for making T1 easier.  It sounds like you have to put all your gear on and/or beneath your bike, so when you get out of the water, you have to, like, "hike" uphill to the parking lot....in BARE FEET?!?  Are we supposed to wear booties or something?  I NEVER go barefoot anywhere, and so I'm worried about scratched/cut feet...unless they lay down a nice, carpeted walkway???

(At least I'm not planning to wear a wetsuit--the water isn't going to be THAT cold, and having to wiggle out of a wetsuit in such a tight transition area does not sound like my idea of fun!)

Thanks!

2009-06-24 1:50 AM
in reply to: #2238644

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Lake Padden tri - swim to bike transition question
Yep, you will have to scramble up the grassy slope to T1. You should be OK in barefeet though. The toughest part is exiting the water as there are a lot of rocks in the water as you stand up. Just walk gingerly out of the water. You have to vault up a small bank that is about two feet high. The rest should be no problem as you are on grass and than concrete. No carpeting. The distance from the shoreline to the transition area is pretty short though.
2009-06-24 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2238720

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
Okaaaay... I discovered the rocks in the lake when I was at the lake a few weeks ago.  (Someone should wade in there and pick out the rocks and use them to build a rock castle a long, long way from the swim entrance/exit area!) He, he... Lance says to swim until your hand touches the bottom when returning to the shore.  So the problem is actually the swim start, as the water is shallow, so you have to walk a ways before you can swim without diving into the ground!

Guess I'm paranoid, because when I was a child, I was wading barefoot in a lake and stepped on something sharp (my parents thought it was a piece of glass), that gave me a nasty cut to the bottom of my foot--that actually left a scar! Cry
2009-06-25 12:18 AM

User image

Oak Harbor, WA
looks like were in for a great race.

check out the bike route and elevation profile at:

http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=34179#

sorry no hyperlink.  copy it to  your browser address bar
2009-06-25 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Wow. 1,800 feet of elevation gain in 20 miles. Not an easy course for sure but it will be a lot of fun. The descents are long and fast.

There were 4 ads on Craigslist yesterday wanting to buy registrations as both races are full. To bad they will have to show ID at checkin. That could be an interesting conversation at the registration table.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Padden tri - swim to bike transition question Rss Feed