General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't run w/ Stress Fracture - Training Advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-24 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Can't run w/ Stress Fracture - Training Advice?
So I got the results back from my Doc and I have a stress fracture in my hip.  No running for 6 weeks (in fact, I'm supposed to keep walking to a minimum, and no hard/out-of-the-saddle riding).  This blows, but I'm trying to stay positive. . . . . sooooo, I'm going to swim, bike (easy, per docs instructions) and get back to some upper body weight training.  Anyone with thoughts or advice about doing this or other training that has the greatest liklihood to help me hit the ground running once I am actually allowed to hit the ground running?

2009-06-24 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2239208

User image

Subject: RE: Can't run w/ Stress Fracture - Training Advice?
Ask your doc about aqua jogging. Seriously, you can stay in shape for running with that.
2009-06-24 9:30 AM

User image

I second this one - done right the water running / aqua jogging can really work up a sweat and keep the body used to the running motion. (The two variations being 1) in the 'deep end' with a flotation belt so you do not have any contact on the pool bottom with your feet, and 2) running in the 'shallow end' so that you do not have the regular impact of running, but you are still using your legs to propel yourself from the pool floor.)

Good luck, and dont forget to let yourself heal!
2009-06-24 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Pool running...VERY effective, if you do it right. And once you can get back on land, pair it with an Eliptical trainer, and you should be a-okay.

Best article on pool running I've found: http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

It includes a training plan, as well.
2009-06-24 10:03 AM

^^^^^
the plan above is great. I did a bit of pool running myself after a stress fracture last year.

Let me say, you will only get results if you seriously push the pace. It is harder to keep focus and keep your heart rate up in the pool. And it is so boring. Maybe invest in a waterproof MP3 player or something. I people watched and time still stood still.

edited to add....many pools have the aquajogger/belt to use. Check before you go out and buy one.

Edited by LaurenCO 2009-06-24 10:05 AM
2009-06-24 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Not to hijack but I'm in a similar boat.  I will have an MRI tomorrow morning to determine the extent of the damage in my foot due to falling off a ladder a little over a weak ago.

I'm wondering what advice people can give me to stay positive.  I so look forward to the summer for the tri training that is difficult at best to do in Michigan more than half the year. 

Once I know the extent of my injury I'll look into what I can do and when regarding training again.  Right now I have to deal with the mental side of things with no workouts and I truly love the workouts as much as the racing.

To the OP, sorry about the hip fracture, that sounds like a rough one, hang in there.

Edited by TriMike 2009-06-24 10:27 AM

2009-06-24 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Aqua jog. Swim more. Bike more (when you can start cycling again).

That way, when you can run again your cycling and swim fitness will be through the roof and you run fitness will come back quickly.

Hang in there. Stay positive.
2009-06-24 10:37 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

In late March I got a stress fracture on the head of my right fibula due to a little fall on my bike.  It's not as weight bearing as the hip, so I was able to probably do a little more than you---but I swam and I biked (again, could go pretty hard on the bike cause of where my injury was) a lot, and I did some aqua jogging.  If I couldn't have biked as much as I did, I would've done more aquajogging. I did get a workout doing that.  After 7 weeks of no running, I started back with some little and slow stuff, and 2.5 weeks later I did an Olympic Tri and my cycling fitness transferred over and I pulled off a much better run than I had expected. I'm now back at running 11+ miles and getting the full run fitness back.

Anyhow, the key to healing is to avoid what hurt you. I wanted to run, but I did not run until the doc told me I could start giving it a shot.  Minimize the healing time by taking the time to heal and use the time to focus on the swim--keep the biking easy as far as how hard, but you could probably still get in some decent time in the saddle and keep some of the endurance up.  You'll lose a little, but rather lose it for 6 weeks than deal with it the rest of the year.

2009-06-24 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

I would start swimming like crazy and doing a ton of spinning on the bike (acutally spinning, not a spin bike). Watch Lance and try and copy him. Some of the best advice I ever got when I was young was to put the chain in the little ring and keep it there (aka learn a good cadence).

On top of that, aqua-running is a great alternative as long as you focus on running form (many people start leaning over and end up sorta running-sorta kicking.

Above all else don't get down on yourself. Bottle up the desire to train and open it/remember it when you are healthy.

2009-06-24 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
When I had a stress fracture a few years back I spent a lot of time on the stairclimber. It doesn't help with tri training specifically but it burns a ton of calories and is an excellent workout. Helped to keep me in great shape. I didn't have much trouble getting back into running after a full 6 months off from it.
2009-06-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2239579

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

tjfry - 2009-06-24 11:46 AM

I would start swimming like crazy and doing a ton of spinning on the bike (acutally spinning, not a spin bike). Watch Lance and try and copy him. Some of the best advice I ever got when I was young was to put the chain in the little ring and keep it there (aka learn a good cadence).

On top of that, aqua-running is a great alternative as long as you focus on running form (many people start leaning over and end up sorta running-sorta kicking.

Above all else don't get down on yourself. Bottle up the desire to train and open it/remember it when you are healthy.

Is it possible to "properly" aqua jog only using the belt or do I really need to look into the hand and foot "things"?

2009-06-24 11:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Be VERY careful with the hip stress fracture. 6 weeks seems like a short time to heal. I've been dealing with issues from a similar stress fracture for a year and a half.
2009-06-24 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2239669

User image

Master

Aqua jogging is seriously hard.  I could manage only one lap at the time without a belt.  Also use this time to work on your flexibility (yoga) and strength (weights or core work).  Maybe even do the PX90?

As for motivation, look for some swim races.  I trained for and raced a 5K swim last summer after knee issues side-lined me last year and am doing it again this year after being out of running for 6 months with plantar fasciitis.

Good luck with your rehab!  Ditto what the other poster said about making sure not to overdo it.

2009-06-24 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2239644

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
TriMike - 2009-06-24 11:07 AM

tjfry - 2009-06-24 11:46 AM

Is it possible to "properly" aqua jog only using the belt or do I really need to look into the hand and foot "things"?

Absolutely. A belt is all you need.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't run w/ Stress Fracture - Training Advice? Rss Feed