General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Westminster, Maryland
United States
Joanna M. Nicolay Melanoma Foundation
66F / 19C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 31s
Overall Rank = 2/263
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:40-ish, got dressed, took the dog out and waited for Mir to get her breakfast shake together (avacado and blueberries .... ugh!!), but she had to have something to eat and she wouldn't be going off for a few hours compared to me. Hopped in the buggy and went and picked up Julie and Julie.
Event warmup:

None. Took my usual Gu ROctane at 45 minutes before the start and washed it down with the last of my Gu2O that I mixed (gotta get some of their new drink now!!) and another at 15 minutes to go with the drink. It started raining at about 6:45 and it was super crazy windy ...... great. The story of my racing this past year. Almost all have been wet!!
Swim
  • 08m 8s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided to use my speedsuit at the last minute since I had brought it. Don't know if it helped much, but I bought it so I use it. I had input 7:20 or my guesstimated time based on 400 yards and was hoping that in the heat of the moment I would be able to do that in meters. But lack of yardage and a little bit of fatigue put the cabash on that idea. Actual swim was probably more in the 7:50 range when you take out the run in and out of the lane/pool.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Not a great swim, but don't think my pace fell off much after the first 100. I'm just not fast in the water. Lost a minute and a half to the overall winner in the water alone! Don't know what my AG rank was. Probably 6th or 7th I would guess.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Not great. 27/263 overall but should have been faster. Lost another 45 seconds to the overall winner here.

Get the lead out of my azz.
Bike
  • 38m 24s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Mediocre ride because of the wind and wet. I got up to speed quickly and was suprised that a guy who came out of the water right around me and got out of transition faster was ahead and I wasn't catching him. He was on a P2C with regular wheels and was moving. For the first 2 miles or so I was not making up any ground but would slowly pick him off as the road went up. I finally passed him but thought the first turn was coming up and sat up/slowed down to not be an issue in the wet. He gave me a "Hey, watch it!" as he passed and I realized it was not the turn.

I caught back up, apologized for thinking the turn was coming and then dropped him. He didn't pass me again but was not far behind because I was a wuss on the downhills. The majority of the route is up and down. On the first real downhill I got a high speed wobble at probably 40-ish and had to get out of aero and hold the bars. From then on through the finish I was puzzy footing the downhills and the guy behind would make up ground every time. I then would drop him on the uphills.

Other than that, just worked my way through the field that had started ahead of me and plugged away at the distance. I was not feeling great, but the legs weren't totally thrashed from Eagleman liked I worried they were. Popped my feet out of the shoes as I came back up the driveway to the swim club and headed into transition.

Maybe use a normal front wheel. The combination of really strong winds, wet roads and a deep section front wheel may not have been the best choice. Very similar to what it was like at Columbia but amplified with stronger winds here. Ah well. The only person faster than me on the bike was the overall winner, and he is an absolute beast on the bike. Took 4-1/2 minutes out of me here and I'm no slow poke! But I would rate this a "below average" ride for me. I put AG rank as "2" because Joe is in my AG now.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Not blazing, but nothing to complain about. I was pretty efficient here, just need more of a sense of urgency about getting off the bike and running in. 24th time overall. But lost another 20 seconds to Joe here!!

Hurry the F up and get the hell out of there.
Run
  • 21m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

You come out of transition and run on the grass around the pool fence, then onto a gravel road. Picked off a few people here and distanced myself from the guy who was close to me on the bike (he ended up 3rd overall, so it was a good move on my part). Turnover was good, no cramping anywhere and just went about my business. Gotta a few comments from people as I passed and as others came back in the opposite direction. I was #39 and was passing people in the teens and twenties for numbers so I knew I was having a decent overall race.

Nobody caught me and I gapped everyone behind me. Coming back from the turnaround was more downhill and had somewhat of a tailwind which was nice. Finish going up the driveway was a bit cruel though! Didn't have (or need) any sort of kick at the end. Crossed the finish, got my medal and went to see how Mir was doing, or if she had even started yet.

Nothing, pretty decent run. Maybe I could have had a little more push in the early part but I'm pretty happy with the time on the course. I did make up 30 seconds on Joe here though! ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to get into the pool to talk to Mir and Julie P. Julie K. had already swam and was out on the bike. Mir and Julie were the absolute last ones to get into the water because of the way they were shuffling around numbers. That sucks!! Talked with Joe, grabbed some grub and some fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Racing the week before, lack of overall training in June and lack of swim training for the whole year. I don't have any doubt in my mind that even with a perfect race that I would NOT have been able to make up all the deficits on Joe as 7 minutes is a total azz whoopin' in a sprint, but I would have liked to give him more of a run for his money.

Event comments:

Very well run race. Only complaint of mine would be the two person per lane swim. It meant that the people later in the numbers had to wait over 2 HOURS to get into the pool. Mir was literally the last one to get in the water and since she did not have any opportunities to train for swimming she was the last one out of the water, the last one on the bike course and then the last one out on the run. But she finished!! And she did really well on the bike for the limited times that she has ridden and never walked the hills or had any mechanicals. She's a natural on the bike!! ;)

I was worried and pacing around and always looking at everyone coming in and even went down to the end of the driveway looking for her to come in on the bike. Some of those downhills were sketchy and I was really concerned for her safety. It was a huge relief when she came over the last one and onto the driveway to the swim club.

It was a mediocre race for me but I was so proud of her and her sticking with it to finish. She did this race on basically zero training and had only been outside on her new bike 4 times (with a few jaunts on the trainer). But she pushed through, never quit and had determination to make it to the finish. That's my honey!!!!

And it was great to be there with her friends and their families and cheering everyone on as a group. Then to talk with CJ (who got 3rd in his AG and his first posium!) and Steve and meet some new people was nice as well.

Last updated: 2009-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:08 | 437 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 61/263
Performance: Average
None.
Suit: Desoto Liftfoil Speedsuit
Course: Cross timing mat, trot to your lane, 16 lengths on one side of the lane, hop out and run about 15 yards or so across the timing mat leading out to transition.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:24 | 14 miles | 21.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 2/263
Performance: Below average
None
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Rolling loop through Carroll County.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:21 | 03.11 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 3/263
Performance: Good
None
Course: Rolling course along a grave ldriveway and then on the shoulder of Rt. 26.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-25 9:26 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

2009-06-25 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2242125

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri
Great job Rick. 2nd overall is nothing to sneeze at.

I would say the best part about your race was how excited you were for Mir. I've met a lot fo people from BT lately and they all want to do well but are also very encouraging and helpful to other/new triathletes. It's a great community and you are an awesome example of the attitude that draws me to the sport.

It was nice to finally meet you at the race.
2009-06-25 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Congrats on 2nd OA... and one week after E-man!

Awesome that Mir finished her first tri.  

2009-06-25 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Dang nice race man! Straight up flyin ...
2009-06-26 7:35 AM

Pro
yep,

Congrats on the race.  Even with the wobbely wheels you still put down a great time on the bike.  Mir looked so happy as she passed me on the driveway up to the swim club.  Hopefully there will be many many more tri's for her.

Tell Aiden I said hello too

2009-06-26 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Seems this short stuff and you are a good match. Congrats on super finish and I know how excited your wife competed and did well.

Most pool swims do 10" intervals going up and down lane lines...they can get in a lot of people in an hour.

Congrats on the hardware and 2nd OA is impressive even if you were a wuss on the downhills on the bike

What's up with all the bad weather and your races?

2009-06-29 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Congrats on the 2nd OA!

That Joe guy must be an absolute stud.
2009-06-30 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2249851

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
He regularly sets bike splits at E-Man in the top 5 overall places (including the pros ........).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed