United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 10s
Overall Rank = 1108/3151
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/35
Pre-race routine:

Saturday was a busy day. We did a short group ride, followed by a swim from the swim exit. This gave me a chance to see the stairs, and get familar with the exiting process. I rode back to the hotel because I had forgotten a few things that I wanted to be on the bike when I racked it. I racked the bike, but had to leave it hanging by the handlebars. The racks were so high my front wheel was dangling of the ground. With the wind I figured I might find the bike in Tampa Bay on race day. That's the problem when you ride a 48 cm frame with 650 wheels.

I had dinner with Team in Training at 4:30 in the afternoon! Afterwards I went back to the room, and loaded up my transition bag. I have a simple, but comprehensive check list to make sure I remember everything. Until an item goes into the bag, it doesn't get checked off.

Stopped in to meet the BT gang after their dinner. It was great to put some faces and real names to screen names. I'm sorry I didn't make it over earlier.

Afterwards I returned to my room to indulge in my usual night before ritual which involves soaking in a warm tub, and shaving my legs one last time. I know for females the leg shaving thing isn't quite the same as for guys, but there's something I like about nice smooth legs for a race.

Race morning I'm up at 4:30. I eat 1 1/2 Clif Bars, and drink a Juice Plus Complete shake. I meet my TNT group in the lobby, and we walk to the transition area. From the St. Pete Hilton it's well over a mile.
Event warmup:

I usually like to ride my bike as a warm up but that doesn't happen in these rack the night before races. I don't run as a warm up. I like to keep my running to the race distance.

After being tossed from transition at 7:00 am I make my way to the swim start. More walking! I mellow out with my iPod, and wait. Shortly before my start I get in the water, do a few pickups, and adjust the goggles.
Swim
  • 30m 32s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started up near front which was fine, but I got tentative as the swim progressed. I think I was afraid to push it because I was worrying about hyperventilating. I sometimes found some good feet to follow, other times I got a face full of water. I had to work around the male Clydesdales and 55+ from earlier waves that I caught. Rule of thumb, don't draft swimmers from earlier waves. There is a reason I've caught them. On the other hand I was trying to catch on to the women from the next wave that had caught up with us. Some of them were really cooking. They make it look so easy.

After last turn, I got a little off course because I thought I was swimming back towards the start. The wall looked like the beach. The finish arch should be a different color then start arch.
What would you do differently?:

I would have tried to be a little more aggressive, and not allow myself to be deceived by what I saw heading back. Also I need to work on building more strength for the catch and pull.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I got out of the sleeves quickly, and left foot came out with no problem. The right leg got caught on the timing chip, so I ended out having to sit down and pull the suit the rest of the way off.

Socks and shoes went on fine. I put glasses on and then helmet.

My rack was closer to swim in, so I had longer run out with the bike. I mounted pretty cleanly and was able to get up to speed quickly.

Figure out how to get the right leg not to get caught on the chip.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 39s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

It started off with a nice tailwind, and I felt really good. I was passing a lot of people from my wave and earlier waves. I didn't find the bike course congested at all. I had plenty of room to pass, and I didn't see much in the way of packs. I think being in the second of the women's waves helped. The older men and Clydesdales that I passed were spread out, so it wasn't bad.

One of my personal challenges in races is to try to see how few women pass me. In my regular races in the northeast, I rarely get passed by other females. In a large race like this with the younger women starting behind me, that's not so easy to do. A fair number of younder women passed me. I always check out the age and as long as the woman is not in my age group I don't care. What I found weird was that I didn't see anyone in my own age group. I was thinking to myself that either I was getting totally trashed by my competition, or maybe my swim was better then I thought.

As the bike ride progressed I encountered more headwinds. I swear the wind was blowing in every direction. I'd make a turn, and expect a tailwind, and bam! another headwind. I tried not to look at my computer too much, when the wind got bad I couldn't help but to peek, and see I was only doing 17.

Pushed a little harder. I think I could have done a little more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I don't know what I was thinking about in terms of dismounting. As I approached the transition area I thought I was going to make another turn, and that would be the point I'd undo my straps and come out of my shoes. By the time I realized the dismount line was only yards away I didn't dare try to undo the straps, pull out with little room to spare. I ended out leaving my shoes on, and taking them off in the transition area.

Pay more attention to where the entance to transition is. That was senior moment. :-)
Run
  • 56m 9s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Running and I are not the best of friends, but I do what I can. I started out well. It seemed like it was forever to the first mile mark, but I looked at my watch and I came in at 8:46. Many passed me, and I even passed people. I can't drink a lot so I take one cup at each water stop, drink 1/2 and dump the rest on my head.

At the second mile I'm at 17:40, so I'm slowing down, but still under 9 minute miles. I keep my eye out for others in my age group. I can't really tell who is coming in the other direction. Since my wave was 45+ anyone with the numbers in that range could be in one of many different age groups. As women pass I check out their calves. They're all younger then me.

I'm fighting to not slow down, and my feet are hurting some, but as I get later into the run, I remind myself that the race is almost over. I missed the 5 mile marker, but I could tell I was almost there. I picked up the pace as much as I could. I was still mystified by the fact that I had not seen anyone from my age group, but pleased that I had not been passed.

I kicked it in at the end, out sprinting a fellow TNT'er.

There's not much else I could have done given my foot issues, and reduced run training. It was the fastest 10K I've done in my last 3 Olympic distance races.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked for a while, and found the TNT tent. I then proceeded to eat everything in sight. :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was a hard winter, and my training wasn't where I would have like it to be.

Event comments:

Even though I was hoping to do a faster time, I was thrilled with my result. Going into the race I felt Top 10 was quite realistic. Top 5 I felt was wishful thinking, but possible if I had a great race. When I saw my time, I didn't think it would be good enough for Top 5, so I was totally stunned by 3rd place.

Last updated: 2005-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:32 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/35
Overall: 0/3151
Performance: Below average
Suit: Ironman Stealth full
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:39 | 24.8 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/35
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:09 | 06.2 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/35
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-26 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: Saint Anthony's

2005-04-27 12:39 AM
in reply to: #148701

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Saint Anthony's

Congrats! The BRONZE MEDAL!!! 

Awesome time - great job!

2005-04-27 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
A fantastic time - well done!
2005-04-27 8:09 AM

Online or Offline

Congratulations on 3rd place!!

Outstanding race and great splits all around!

I'm with you on shaving the night before (it's not like anyone except the body markers are gonna touch my legs), there's just something about it. I gotta one-up you on that though - sometimes I have to have freshly painted toenails

Thanks for sharing your thoughts as you race - I do the same! Looking at AG markings when you see people pass you and determining if it matters to you (never really does to me except I see a lot of REALLY older folk kick my butt), and trying to ignore my bike computer and just RIDE as well as I can (except I NEVER see anything over 18 on a straight and level windless piece of pavement!)

2005-04-27 9:20 AM

User image

Buttercup
Polly, first let me say I really enjoyed meeting you Saturday night. I'm glad you popped in to say hello. Second, after having met you, I'm impressed that a tiny, petite woman like can kick ass! Your race times are great! There must be some incredibly strong engine in your petite package. Congratulations on a job very well done.
2005-04-27 1:21 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Polly,

Awesome race! Congrats on the hardware!

Solid performance out there. It's funny reading your report, as it was pretty similar to mine ( including the night before ritual... hehehe ) in terms of how things went.

-Chris

2005-04-27 8:54 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Copngrats on a great race.  You rocked on the run and bike.  I hope you had fun.  Taek care and train hard -SMO
2005-04-27 11:08 PM
in reply to: #148829

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Second, after having met you, I'm impressed that a tiny, petite woman like can kick ass! Your race times are great! There must be some incredibly strong engine in your petite package.

Wow, I've never had anyone describe me as petite, except in terms of finding pants that I don't need to be hemmed.  Actually my mom was a petite woman, but somehow I ended out with the monster calves and thighs of her two sisters.

I enjoyed meeting everyone.  I'm sorry I didn't make it over a little earlier, but I wanted to get the tri-bag packed up first.

2005-04-28 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great job!!
2005-04-28 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL