Set-up, Inc.
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 6s
Overall Rank = 125/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 30/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30am. Showered, ate breakfast and went over all of my gear one last time to be sure I did not forget anything. Everyone met outside at 6:30am (Race starts at 8am). It was a 35 minute ride to race site. Once we arrived, I head straight for the transition area and began to set up. Next I went to get marked, use the bathroom and pick up my chip.
Event warmup:

None really. Tested out the water before the gun which was not as cold as I expected.
Swim
  • 18m 43s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

As this was my first triathlon and having never done an open water swim, I was not prepared for this. When the gun went off I was pumped and ready to go and decided to jump in with everyone else. Huge mistake! The commotion of run start was too much for this first timer. I took a lot of water in the mouth which caused me to freak out a bit. The first 100-200 meters were really tough. I was having trouble catching my breath and could not put my face in the water. I kept thinking I cannot do this and had thoughts of heading back to shore. I soon realized that there were others around me having the same problems. For some strange reason, this made me feel better. I told myself I was not going to give up and I would get through the swim no matter what it took. Once I found my rhythm I felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

More training in open water. Now that I know what to expect I think my next swim will go much smoother.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Due to the cold weather I took my time in T1 (probably 5-6 minutes). I did not wear a jersey on the swim b/c I did not want to ride in a wet jersey. Big mistake. It took probably a minute just to slip on the jersey. Eventually I had someone else help me get it on. I am happy I took the time to put on the cool weather gear. Except for my toes I was very comfortable on the bike.

Wear a jersey under the wetsuit. Others told me that their jerseys dried very quickly on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 30s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought the bike went very well however my splits do not show that. There were not too many people passing me on the bike. In fact, I passed more people than people that passed me. I believe the extra time I spent in T1 is included in my bike split and that is what cost me.

Work a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Uneventful. My biggest decision was how much clothing to wear on the run. I left the arm warmers and windbreaker on. I ended up shedding them in the run. It warmed up when the sun came out.

Wear less clothing
Run
  • 26m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were like lead for the first hill. Also, feet thawed out during run. This was a very strange feeling.

Run harder. Wear less clothing.
Post race
Warm down:

No stretching although I should have. Watched other finish the race and ate some food at the post race party.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness, first open water swim.

Event comments:

I thought this was a great race. Good location, nice course and a ton of food at post race party.

Last updated: 2005-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:43 | 750 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/
Overall: 119/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:30 | 18 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/
Overall: 137/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 18 miles of rolling hills. Very nice course and very well marked. There were potholes but the race directors had them clearly marked
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:54 | 03.1 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/
Overall: 106/
Performance: Average
Course: First .7 miles of course was up hill which was really tough. After that it leveled out and then the final .7 miles was down hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-04-27 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Kinetic Sprint Triathlon

2005-04-27 7:04 PM
in reply to: #148820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Subject: RE: Kinetic Sprint Triathlon
Good job on your first tri! You're exactly right, the water didn't feel as cold as I expected. And that damn hill to start the run! I couldn't feel my feet for the first mile or so, really weird. I heard from some people that spent like 10 minutes in the transition area getting dressed, having trouble with shoes, clothing, etc..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed