General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-26 7:41 PM

User image

Subject: 12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions

I'm doing Ironman Lake Placid in 2010 and would like to start focusing my training 12 months out.  

Is there such thing as a 12-month Ironman training program?  I did a search on this site and didn't find anything. 

I was tossing around the idea of doing a 3 month Run focus, 3 month Swim focus, 3 month Bike focus and then 3 month Focus blending all 3 ... but the more I think about this, it sounds good in theory but may not produce ideal results in real everyday training. 

I'm extremely serious in dedicating myself to a year long focus.  I want to go sub 12 in my first Ironman.  I've done 3 HIM's already, have another HIM July 12th and one in October.   I'm also planning two HIM's in 2010 to help me prep for IMUSA 2010.

I'm thinking the most rational approach maybe just to bump up to an advanced HIM training plan for my October HIM, then do some high volume winter maintenance, and begin a 20 week plan in late February.  But I'd really like a good base with some high volume going into this 20 week plan and I'm not sure exactly how to do this.

I don't have the money for a coach, but I am willing to buy an advanced plan.  I checked out the plans here on BT, and there Olympic and HIM plans strike me as effective; but for whatever strange reason, non of the Ironman plans really jump out at me.

Can you guys please share what plans you have used that have worked effectively.  I'm willing to commit 15 to 20 hours per week, and want a complete plan with strength training and any other bells and whistles (stretches, hiking, etc...) that will help me have a succesful first Ironman race. 

PLEASE HELP AN Aspiring-IRONMAN NEWBIE!

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-06-26 7:42 PM

2009-06-26 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2246586

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Subject: RE: 12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions
X2, I'm looking at doing the Rev3 IM next sept.
2009-06-27 12:09 AM

User image

You're not going to find a 12 month IM training program because that's nuts.  15-20 hours a week for a year is a recipe for burnout

Race this year through October and then take a couple weeks off.  Work on your weakness Nov./Dec.  then start 20 or so weeks out
2009-06-27 2:05 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I'm with Chris.  Based on what I see in your race log (esp. your 5:24 HIM), you don't need to do anything that extraordinary to feel like you have a realistic shot at sub-12.
2009-06-27 5:57 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I agree with what Chris and others say. Clearly over next year you'll be training and building toward your IM. Ideally you have another goal to work for first say a early HIM otherwise you might have mental burn out and possibly physical burn out. Did you read the thread here about IM training blues? That is something real that happens to some.

My coach told me this last weekend, the training done from December until June has prepared me to handle the training I will do for the last 8 weeks before my IM that will be more volume and really the key training for IM.

As great as setting a time goal is don't now. It is 12 months away who knows how your training will go over next year. The closer you are to the race you will have a more realistic idea what is possible. Who knows you might have a huge cycling break through this off season? Other thing about setting a goal is it can suck the joy out of the journey if you get hung up on the number. IM is a huge event and goal number one is to get to the starting line not injured, well trained and ready to race. It's a long day and lots of stuff can happen.

2009-06-27 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2246865

Champion
South Jersey

ChrisM - 2009-06-27 1:09 AM You're not going to find a 12 month IM training program because that's nuts.  15-20 hours a week for a year is a recipe for burnout

Race this year through October and then take a couple weeks off.  Work on your weakness Nov./Dec.  then start 20 or so weeks out

x2

2009-06-27 6:36 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Doubt you'll dind out, that sounds like a recipe for burnout. I don't even have my fast guys training more than 4-5 months before a down time...

You can work on an annual training plan which will focus on something else for 4-5 months, take down time (unstructured training) and the start from where you left off to focus on actual IM training for 4-5 months. It doesn't mean the work you'll do on the 1st half wont impact or even have some element of specificty to get you ready for IM but for an AGer I think it is just crazy to do that much avg workload x week for that long time but that's just my opinion.

A suggestion -  focus on improving your run through the fall/winter and maybe run an end of the year marathon. Work on your swim technique (short for specific sessions) and focus on increasing your cycling power (short intense sessions) that should give you around 8-10 hrs of training with great quality. Around the holidays take a 2-3 week break (easy unstructured training with a week off) and on January start your IM training. Since you are in Long Island you can polish your run speed (run less but faster), keep on focusing on increasing cycling power (until you can start doing long rides outside) and start focusing on swim speed (swimming more). That should give you 10-12 hrs of solid training (with some bigger weeks if weather lets you squeeze a long ride which should be exception but not the rule). Around end of March beginning of April you can get into specific I training (long steady everything and OWS) and have 12 solids weeks to work on the endurance aspect.

With the running from fall/winter you will be faster, with the technique-speed-volume from swimming your fitness will be aswesome and due to your higher cycling power once you get the endurance part you will be able to ride long faster. That's what I would suggest and a general outline I follow with my athletes leaving in the Northeast racing IM in the summer (many doing IMLP).

PS. I offer general plans + online support (through a private forum hosted here on BT) and while the plans are for 20 weeks I deliver those every 4 weeks and based on your needs from the previous 4 the plan can be adjusted to focus a bit more on your limiters. This gives you a bit more flexibility (a bit more personilized) and with the ability to ask any questions via the private forum you can always tweak the plan to math your needs with our help (coaches).

Good luck.
2009-06-28 3:26 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Ditto to all the above.  Two HIMs pre-LP is also entirely unnecessary and probably unproductive for a first timer.
2009-06-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2246865

User image

ChrisM - 2009-06-27 1:09 AM You're not going to find a 12 month IM training program because that's nuts.  15-20 hours a week for a year is a recipe for burnout

I know, I am nuts   I also meant peAKing at 15 to 20 hours every three weeks, not consistent weekly volume between 15-20 hours. 

I probably, most-likely will just finish this year on a HIM program, work on my limiters over the winter, but then I still need to find a 20 week plan.

2009-06-28 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2246887

User image

tcovert - 2009-06-27 3:05 AM I'm with Chris.  Based on what I see in your race log (esp. your 5:24 HIM), you don't need to do anything that extraordinary to feel like you have a realistic shot at sub-12.

I want to finish sub 12 with moderate ease.  I want to try and have a smile for the last 10k of the marathon -- and I know that may be an impossible task for a first Ironman -- but that's the goal I would like to aim for

2009-06-28 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2248006

User image

JohnnyKay - 2009-06-28 4:26 AM Ditto to all the above.  Two HIMs pre-LP is also entirely unnecessary and probably unproductive for a first timer.

I planned on doing the Endurasport HarryMan half in mid-May, which will simulate LP Race Day conditions and be excellent conditioning due to the hills ; and I planned on doing Eagleman, again, as a hard training day (and to try and get it right this time

I would schedule each HIM at the end of a three week build, and right before my Recovery week - so it would not detract from Ironman Training.  And additionally, I needed ZERO recovery time from Eagleman this year. 

So based off these tangibles, I believe two HIM's would be extremely beneficial and greatly enhance my chances at a succesful first Ironman. 

2009-06-28 1:15 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Bobby, you are nuts (but I knew that ). I trained for longer than most (will be about 31 weeks total) and even mine wasn't IM specific in the beginning. I agree with others in that you should have a different goal for now and then evolve into the IM plan. Starting one year out, I trained for a marathon until November, focused on swim in December, rested in January and started HIM training in Feb. Did the HIM early April and transitioned into the IM plan. My volume has been around 10-12 hours a week most weeks, just now getting up to 15+. I don't feel burned out at all due to the variety I've had. Granted I'm not aiming for sub-12, but I do plan to have a smile on my face during the final 10K
2009-06-28 1:32 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, Ga

Here is what I did.  I signed up for IMFL 2008 one year out.  Started the 20 week HIM training plan for White Lake Half Ironman in May.  After completing that I relaxed some hiking and training when I felt like it no planned training until the start of the 20 week intermediate BT IM plan to get ready for IMFL.  When I signed up for this I had no tri experience and only a year of running which never included a marathon.  Dedication, hard work and a goal can go a long way.  By the way I finished 11:45 whith my checks hurting because I had a smile on my face the whole race, even the last 10K.  Good luck.

2009-06-28 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2248241

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Dream Chaser - 2009-06-28 12:19 PM

JohnnyKay - 2009-06-28 4:26 AM Ditto to all the above.  Two HIMs pre-LP is also entirely unnecessary and probably unproductive for a first timer.

I planned on doing the Endurasport HarryMan half in mid-May, which will simulate LP Race Day conditions and be excellent conditioning due to the hills ; and I planned on doing Eagleman, again, as a hard training day (and to try and get it right this time

I would schedule each HIM at the end of a three week build, and right before my Recovery week - so it would not detract from Ironman Training.  And additionally, I needed ZERO recovery time from Eagleman this year. 

So based off these tangibles, I believe two HIM's would be extremely beneficial and greatly enhance my chances at a succesful first Ironman. 

I'll send you my thoughts offline, but that is a really bad plan in my opinion, Bobby.  You can finish all those if you want, but they will NOT enhance your chances for LP.  They will almost surely hurt it and surely will detract from IM training.  Race Harriman.  Skip Eagleman. 

I'll give you some more thoughts at some point soon.  Promise.
2009-06-28 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2248456

User image

JohnnyKay - 2009-06-28 3:07 PM
Dream Chaser - 2009-06-28 12:19 PM

I'll send you my thoughts offline, but that is a really bad plan in my opinion, Bobby.  You can finish all those if you want, but they will NOT enhance your chances for LP.  They will almost surely hurt it and surely will detract from IM training.  Race Harriman.  Skip Eagleman. 

I'll give you some more thoughts at some point soon.  Promise.

Your faster than me and have a lot more experience, so I will take your word for it that you are probably right.  I'm in no rush to start this plan, so send me a PM later in the week; whenever you get a chance.  I highly value your opinion and thank you in advance for taking the time to give me advice.  I know I wouldn't be as succesful as I am this early in my Triathlon career if not for the advice and suggestions I've recieved on this site.  And because of that, I try to keep a very open mind. 

2009-06-28 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
x2 on all of the above thoughts but I just wanted to add....
I just finished my first ironman (11:22) and I think one of my biggest lessons is that sometimes less is more.  The training will bring you close to the edge of mental and physical burnout anyhow and if you bring yourself too close to that so far out its a recipe for disaster.  I picked a February marathon and began training in November of 2008 with a mostly run focus (although was doing tri training for sure).  After february I changed gears to a big time bike focus however my long runs still built back up after the marathon.  That way the long runs felt easier by the time I was doing the 5-6+ hour rides.
Bottle up that motivation, you can do it based on your times but sometimes the best training is smart training!! Good luck!! 

2009-06-29 2:41 PM

User image

Pro
Austin, Tejas
x2. 6 months brought me just to the cusp of burnout. I still loved it but could not handle 12 mos of IM training. No way...
2009-07-07 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2248406

User image

Extreme Veteran
hahha. Okay I just read your im fl rr bc I am considering doing it next year... after reading this thread and I thought I must have read something wrong about the cig!!! I am curious, are you still improving and still smoking?
2009-07-07 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2248241

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Dream Chaser - 2009-06-28 11:19 AM

Agreeing with Johnny Kay, there is an opportunity cost to doing a HIM vs a longer focused bike session or whatever the plan has in store.  You are not going to get the same benefit from doing a second HIM when your plan says to sit in the saddle for 5 hours.  I used a 20 week BT plan for MOO 07 and using the same for this year with integrating some more bike time and run days.  For my first, I prepped by working on run base- did run focus in fall for the Vegas mary, dislocated a shoulder so stuck with spin classes and some running and when able, focused on getting in at least a 10 mile run and 2 or 3 other fillers, a 2 hour bike session a week with other 1's and 1:30s sprinkled in.  Agree with what others are saying- the structure of a full year will see you likely burnt out before the event.  You can work base very easily by finding non-structured ways to play i.e. smaller race goals, charity rides, etc.  Keep it fun until ya have to really get the nose to the grindstone.

2009-07-08 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I just completed IMCdA (my first IM) using the BT Intermediate IM plan (roughly).  I say roughly because I did a 50-mile trail run in April (10 weeks prior to IMCdA) and did a lot more running in Feb/Mar than the plan called for, and not as much running or cycling in April (post run).  I preceeded the IM plan with a BT winter maintenance plan calling for 7-10 hours per week. 

Your goal is to get to the start line trained, healthy, and rested.  This is harder than it sounds.  Rested is taken care of with the taper.  The balance between "trained" and "healthy" is pretty squishy and lots of athletes find themselves on the wrong side (tendonitis, PF, sick, etc. ) with huge training volumes.  

Pre-IM plan was pretty unstructured.  I used the maintenance plan as a guideline for how much per week and some suggested workouts, but otherwise didn't worry too much if I only did a 40 minute run instead of 75.  As I switched to the IM plan, I tried to stay a little more true to the plan while accounting for the ultra.  I would not have wanted to start the race with much less training than I did, but I also am grateful that I avoided the overuse ailments I mentioned above and the "Ironman Training Burnout" (both me and the family). I was North of 12 hours (13:38) but my time was not due to the training or lack therof. 

2009-07-08 8:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-07-14 10:35 PM

Expert
Ask me after IMCOZ. I'm kinda doing what you are asking about and I have done sub 12 hours at IMC.

We went down to one car last year at the beginning of October. For most of the winter I ran 40+ miles/week commuting to where I could catch a bus the rest of the way to work. My run commute being 10 miles. Toss in a few longer runs a month and it's a good base building program. I focused on consistent runs, avoiding injury and slow building up distance and speed. I also did a good amount of bike commuting (rain, shine, snow, darkness...) during the same time. Toss in a few hour long swims a week, and that was my 5+ month long base building phase. In June I started to focus on picking up speed across all three areas and have started to really structure my work outs. I've picked up some good running speed and bike speed over increasing distances now, my swim is there but I don't spend enough time on it to really get speed improvements.

I did a local hilly century bike ride in June and averaged over 20mph for it, just did the Seattle to Portland 200+ mile bike ride in one day and averaged near 20mph (could have gone faster but my riding group was made up of slower riders). My easy/steady runs now are at a HR much lower than they used to be at a faster pace.

I'm now focusing my training on Lk Stevens 70.3 in month from now to see what I can do at that race. I figure from there I'll have about 100 days to focus on my limiters for IMCOZ. Don't really have any overall time goal for IMCOZ, I'll be happy with 1:05 to 1:10 swim (my norm), a low 5hr bike and being able to run the entire marathon.

I have actually picked up a used old beater truck now most to be able to drive and swim a bit more each week. I'd like to get more pool time and OWS in which is hard for me to do without a car.
2009-07-16 11:43 PM

Veteran

I did something like this (four IMs): easy year (sprints, Olys, HIMs), two/three month recovery, 40- or 44-week ramp up to IM, two/three month recovery, easy year, repeat.  I liked a long schedule because when I missed 3- or 4-weeks because of work I was not totally screwed. 

Also I like increasing by no more than 5% (compared to 10%) training load because (for me) it means no injuries where 10% can be dicey.  

As for burnout, I've raced 18 of the last 21 seasons.

2009-07-17 12:01 PM

Expert
ya, I have pretty much turned my IM training into a lifestyle.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions Rss Feed