Elite Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 57m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Didn't have a morning coffee, didn't have my morning oatmeal...This might have been a cause for my GI distress later in the race?
Event warmup:

Got there plenty early around 4:30 by school bus shuttle. Layed around and tried to rest and relax. Glad I brought the space blanket. Finally around 6:30 as the corrals opened up and sun was up, started to do some running in the parking lot and bunch of stretching. Hooked up with co-worker Mike (running first Mary and representing TnT). National Anthem and first corral took off. 30 minutes later we finally waddled our way up to the start. So all that stretching and warming up and waiting around for 30 minutes... First time ever experiencing that type of race start....
Run
  • 4h 57m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Since May 3 I've had minimal training due to strange hamstrings. Longest training run was 9 miles back in mid May.
Took 30 minutes to get to timing mats and I took off comfortably, but quickly to catch the 4:30 pace group. Passed them around mile 3 and never saw them again. Although I got into the PortaPotti at the I-90 Bridge turnaround at 10.5 miles. So maybe they passed me than?

Back mile 4 when we got into some rolly residential. I got lighthead/loosey goosey feeling. Think I went alittle anerobic on the climbs. Had seen alot of medical staff on bikes riding in the swarm of runners. and had disgusting thoughts of WHAT IF I'm having medical problems....Finally got over to the Lake Washington side of course and the cool lake breeze helped (think the morning heat/sunshine got me)

Also early on I had taken some Cytomax drink, two gulps and realized I didn't like the sweety taste. So now around the 6 mile area, started to get the farty upset stomach, where is the portapotties feeling....and everytime you went by an aid station, and there were plenty of portapotties, but there were also 15 to 20 people in line...

So here I am running along Lake Washington, very familiar with it (Seattle Marathon course in Nov.) I'm looking at the water front and wondering if I can't take shoes off and wade into the lake to relieve myself-I know disgusting polluting the lake, but I was worried about crapping myself and having to be the new poster boy of crappy pants on the internet.

Never got to be any worse, and started to think when we got to the bridge and the Half Mary's went left and MARATHONERS went right, I might get lucky on fewer lines. Which did work out at the turnaround. Felt much better.

I-90 tunnel was alright (although it's much faster in the Seattle Marathon-other direction) got hot with the limited air circulation, but fun for screamers and the Band was rocking out.

Most of the Bands were ROCKING and decent. They did have a couple of Joan Baez types that were kinda a downer....You can imagine hearing a slow moaning downer music, when you need a pickme up. But over all very good and the CHEER SQUADS were full of PEP, did a bunch of high 5s with many of the groups.

After going through Pioneer Square and getting on the Alaska Viaduct, felt better in the stomach and now it was a Marathon Course and the GRIND was on. Now it was all about moving forward, limit the walking and finish.

The uphills were not bad but long in duration and lots of warm sunshine. Plenty of Water stations well stocked so that really helped. Saw Mike of Team n Training couple miles behind me, slapped hands. Saw MM Diva Holder going outbound. Really cool thing is that all MMs smile and greet when passing each other.

While running in the tunnel, roadway was sloped, so I jumped (sorta) up to the sidewalk and felt left calf twinge (oh sh$$) did a quick stretch and slowly went on till it felt ok.

Lot of other little stories in the following miles...
Getting to 24 and 25 miles was really getting drudgery, No speed, but mentally kept the whip going and grinding on. Than the right turn onto the off ramp and to mile 26 marker, cheering crowds and calves started to cramp (wormy feeling in both) one more turn and that is the longest .2 of a mile. Looking for the Little Lady and did see her just before the finish. YEA! Done and I finished under 5 hours. (well not officially as I found out-but who cares)
What would you do differently?:

Training is a big issue. Need to get back to some quality training runs with distance.
Better prep with morning nutrition. But I'm happy how it all turned out.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered through the area and then up to where the truck was parked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Weight is less than back in the springtime marathons. But more needs to come off.
Better training mileage.

Event comments:

Having to deal with the logistics and it is expensive. BUT by Far and excellent event. Highly Recommend.

I heard from others (faster quality marathoners) that they thought the course was flat and fast.?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-20 12:00 AM
Running
04:57:02 | 26.2 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
My timing strap didn't register. Maybe because I had it tucked under my laces. My time/splits are not showing up on the official results listing. Oh well, who cares, my watch is TIMEX Ironman and that's what care about. 8:55 first mile, was trying to catch up to the 4:30 pace group that was two corrals ahead of me. 9:32 second mile 10:00 third mile. Wall to wall people, long aid stations that caused some chokepoints. 9:35 4th mile 10:52 (5 mile) 10:04 (6) 9:51 (7) 10:40 (8) 10:48 (9) 10:17 (10) Missed the 11th mile marker and everything turned into 10+ to 12+ mile pace. Had one 9:35 coming back off the interstate into Pioneer Square.
Course: Starting in Tukwilla and going through residential over to Lake Washington to I-90 out on the bridge, Downtown Seattle/Pioneer Square, Alaska Viaduct/tunnels and Aurora Avenue. Awesome course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-28 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Seattle - Marathon
As you can see in the left picture, my calves are cramping and I'm running gingerly.

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2009-06-28 1:36 PM

2009-06-28 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2248410

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Seattle - Marathon

That sucks about your timing chip. I almost wanted to jump in the lake too, but for different reasons.  You did a fantastic job and now that I know what you look like I can look for you at the Seattle marathon! Unless you aren't doing it of course. LOL.    Fast and flat I don't agree with, although it doesn't compare to the Kirkland marathon I'm sure

2009-06-29 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Congrats on another fine marathon finish Spence.  Excellent race, especially since you haven't been able to do any long runs.  Strong work!

2009-06-30 11:30 AM

User image

Master

Great job on limited training! Sucks about your timing chip, for sure!

2009-06-30 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Nice work Spence! You're a true M/M.
2009-06-30 1:03 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Spencer, way to grind it out.  Congrats.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Seattle - Marathon Rss Feed