Georgia Multisports
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 28s
Overall Rank = 146/914
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/155
Pre-race routine:

Got up just before 4, took a quick shower, got coffee and my PB & J waffle. We had packed everything the night before so there wasn't a whole lot to do except get ready to go. At 4:45 we got the girls up and carried them to the car. We drove the 40 minutes to the race site and parked.

I got my stuff and walked over to transition. I left Dan and the girls at the van so they could get dressed and have breakfast before the race. Since I was walking the 15 minutes by myself, I dug my Ipod out of my bag and listened to music to block out the chatter.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 12m 51s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

As our wave moved closer to the water, Wendy, Jamie and I tried to move closer to the front. I know now we should have moved much closer. They told us to start and everyone waded in the water to start swimming. It was really, really crowded in the beginning. I was doing a water polo kind of stroke to keep water out of my mouth and so I could see my way to the buoy. I reached the turn buoy quickly and there were women all over the place so I got slowed down. After the turn is was still fairly crowded but I tried to make my way around and inbetween other swimmers to avoid contact - even doing that I got hit and kicked in the chest twice. I alternated between breathing every stroke to bilateral breathing on both sides every 3 strokes. I tried to draft off a couple women but they were swimming slower so I ended up going around them. After reaching the first orange course buoy, I had mostly clear water. I swam until my hands hit the bottom and stood up to exit the water. I took a quick glance back and saw many yellow (my AG) caps still in the water so I jogged/walked up the hill to transition. As I started running, I heard my name and saw Dan and the girls which was great.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front. I know in a race like this I have decent speed but my earlier experience this season made me second guess my swimming.

My feet hit the beach at 11:43. (2:00/100y)
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

This T1 includes that huge-ass hill up from the beach that everyone knows and then a long run all the way around the entire transistion area. The hill sucked but I ran as best I could. I ran to my rack - grabbed my gel, shoes on, sunglasses and helmet on, bike down and off I went. Jogged through large transition area to the mount line.

I don't know... it was quite a distance from the timing mat (where we entered) to the T1 exit so I guess it wasn't a bad transition.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 32s
  • 19 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is definitely my strength. I knew I could hammer this course and pass a lot of women. I rode the course a couple weeks ago and that was definitely an advantage; I remembered some parts where I could hammer and really pick up speed. This ride is up and down the entire time so it was a good course for me. I passed TONS of women and the only women who passed me for good were on tri-bikes. (I repassed anyone else)

I had to consciously ignore my roadie mentality to remind myself not to draft. Jamie had told me Elena and Ken were doing the officiating on the back of motorcycles so every time one went by I looked to see if it was one of them. One time I did see Elena right as she passed me and I saw her writing down a number and I was praying it wasn't mine but I didn't think I was drafting since I was out to the left of the girl in front of me.

I decided at the very beginning of the ride to use the alarm feature on my watch to beep every 15 minutes to remind me to drink. (my normal plan for long rides) It started getting hot and I did not need to get to the run overly dehydrated. I took a gel around the 30 minute mark.

My friend, Wendy, caught me around mile 15 and I tried to stay with her but I couldn't. I'd been hammering it and I was tired. I think I was still able to finish strong but by that point I was spent. I came screaming down the hill to make the turn up to transition and dismounted.

I wasn't very happy with my time but looking at the results I was 16/155 for my bike split so that's not too shabby.

I forgot to include that my max speed was 43 mph - woo-hoo!

I honestly don't know. I wanted to do this course in under an hour and I've replayed the ride over in my head and I can't figure out where I could have picked up time. This was the best ride I had in me today.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Another long run from the timing mat to the exit but I guess that's pretty standard for large races. After dismounting my bike, I saw there were very few bikes in transition. Dan estimated there were probably less than 30 bikes.

I found my rack and Wendy was just finishing her T2. She was racked 2 bikes from me so I gave her a high 5 as she left. I racked by the brake levers, took off my bike shoes, put on my socks and my running shoes. I grabbed my hat and race belt and put them on as I was running out of transition.

Probably nothing, this was a decent transition. Maybe next time I'll go sockless because it took longer than it should have to get them on.
Run
  • 32m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run feeling good, no dead legs and no cramping but I was tired. The bike had taken a lot out of me but I thought maybe I'd be able to go just under 30 minutes. I very quickly realized that wasn't going to happen. I passed the first water table and saw Greg cheering for me telling me pick up my cadence - HA, yeah that wasn't gonna happen. :) I was by myself for a little while and then women started passing me.

I got to the water stop and took a cup and it was the best ice water I'd ever had. They were also handing out the duck sponges and I told the guy I had to have a sponge for my kids. I didn't know it was an ice cold sponge and it felt great. I wanted them to have one so I stuck in the waste band of my shorts in the back, under my shirt.

I ran out to the turn around and saw Sandy and Wendy. I started back and my left knee really started bothering me. The road was slanted and it was irritating my IT band. I tried running in the middle but then I'd hear someone coming fast up behind me so I moved over. I stopped one time to try to stretch it out and it helped for a little while but by the time I was getting close to the finish line it really hurt.

Run more in training if I decide I want to be a serious triathlete. I was the only one in my AG in the top 45 that took over 30 minutes for the run. Get over my love/hate relationship with running.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line, saw Sandy and Wendy and happily took a water and another ice sponge. The sponge felt wonderful, I was definitely overheated. I walked around, talked to Wendy and found Dan and the girls. We made our way to the shade and saw Jamie briefly. We hung out until we could get in to transition. The line for the food was really long so I didn't get any.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Once again it was lack of run training. Not seeding myself closer to the front on the swim.

This is probably my best finish in a large race and I'm happy about that but still disappointed I didn't hit my goal of 1:45. If I'd hit that goal I would have finished 17th in my AG - I gave up way too many spots in the run.

Event comments:

This race is very well organized and there were TONS of volunteers. It's a great race and I would do it again.

Last updated: 2009-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:51 | 586 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/155
Overall: 0/914
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Point to point swim. Out to first yellow buoy, right turn and then straight to the other side of the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:32 | 19 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/155
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Up and down on roads out from Lake Lanier Islands - some big hills but mostly rolling. This course is advertised as 18 miles but it is definitely 19.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:06 | 03.11 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/155
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills on the road in Lake Lanier Islands.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: Aflac Iron Girl Women's Triathlon

2009-06-29 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2249575

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: RE: Aflac Iron Girl Women's Triathlon

Nice race Mindy.  Good job on the bike.

2009-06-29 12:08 PM

User image

Master

Smoking fast bike, Mindy!  "Decide to be a real triathlete" (ha! you already are a real triathlete!  Way to go Dan, for thinking to look how many bikes were there when you arrived in T1.  Love him.  The run will come - you have the fitness, it's just getting your run legs to join the party.

2009-06-29 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job on the race!!! You did Awesome!
2009-06-29 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Great job! Awesome bike split!!
I had a blast out there!! Can't wait til next year!
-marni
2009-06-30 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn
Nicely done!!  Your bike split rocked...but I knew it would.

Juanice

2009-07-01 12:22 PM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Great race and RR!  Strong bike.  Chaulk up another one!
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself -- no matter who you are there is something to work on
2009-07-01 9:56 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Great job out there Mindy and, uhhh, you are a serious triathlete... you just happen to really enjoy pretty bikes.  I get that...

2009-07-02 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Thanks, everyone!!

I'm not convinced I'm a serious triathlete because my legs are definitely not with the program.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aflac Iron Girl Women's Triathlon Rss Feed