YMCA
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 49m 11s
Overall Rank = 140/215
Age Group = F 30-39
Age Group Rank = 17/37
Pre-race routine:

Got to lovely Camp St. Croix just in time to set up and get bodymarked just as the downpour and thunder started... :)
Event warmup:

Waited in the camp lodge for an hour for rain to subside. When it finally did, we walked down the very long and steep path to the lake. Quads were burning by the end so I guess that was the warmup.
Swim
  • 14m 27s
  • 587 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm actually pretty ok with this swim, despite the pace. The water was very choppy, so no one was setting a personal best out there. The big challenge was going to be navigation and not inhaling too much water due to the waves.

I did fairly well navigating, sighting a lot more than normal, but because of the fairly strong current it was necessary. On the last leg in to shore I switched to breathing on the left to avoid the waves and it went better than expected. I never breathe on the left when I train, so it's good to know that I can do it anyway if I have to. Thanks to high school coach Dee for forcing us to learn way back when... :)
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive at the start. I think I say that nearly every time, don't I?
Transition 1
  • 06m 16s
Comments:

The massive 6:16 time includes the walk back up the long steep path from the lake, so don't be too alarmed by it. I had one of the slowest walks on the path at something like 4:24, so my actual T1 time was less than 2 minutes. That walk sucked rocks, but oh well.

Attempt to run at least part of the path. I walked the whole thing.
Bike
  • 57m 56s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice bike ride, actually. Not a great pace, but a nice ride. Lots of good rollers to keep it interesting.

Actually attempting to do some real bike training might help...
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Under a minute! And that includes a shoe change! Pretty darn speedy for me.

Nothing.
Run
  • 29m 34s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Honestly, I think this run must have been short because seriously, sub 10s? With the amount of running I have been doing? Not likely. But, that's what it says and I didn't have a Garmin to say differently, so there. :) This was a good run since I greatly prefer trail running to road running. That gravel ravine pretty much sucked and I walked most of the uphill both times, but the rest of the course was quite nice and very well marked. A few slick mud spots due to all the rain, but not bad.

I was so glad I finally passed this guy I had been chasing nearly the whole run. I finally passed him with about 0.3 miles to go and made sure to keep him behind me. I did, however, get passed by someone in my age group with only 0.1 mile to go. Didn't even hear her coming. Oh well.

Run up the ravine, or at least part of the way.
Post race
Warm down:

My daughter, sister, niece, and nephew were there to cheer me in to the finish, so that was super nice. After the race I chatted with them a bit, guzzled some water, and smuggled some post-race snacks for the kiddies. :) Not much else really.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

General lack of training.

Event comments:

This race went about a 1000 times better for me than Buffalo a few weeks back. First of all, I could actually move my neck, which was a huge plus. Second, I had a much better attitude in general so that helped too.

I haven't done this race before, but I have done 27 (?) others at this point, and I have to say this was one of my very favorites. The course is very nice (except that walk from the beach up the hill ;) ), the shirts are nice, the atmosphere is laid back but not disorganized, and there is no extraneous goodie bag of stuff I'll never use anyway. Oh, and they only body marked one arm, and then the back of the calf. Love that! The both arms/both legs bodymarking is excessive, IMO. And no bike orhelmet stickers either!

Despite the rough weather at the start and the hour delay, this was just a very pleasant race experience in general. I will definitely be back!

Last updated: 2009-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:27 | 587 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/37
Overall: 48/215
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: 3 sides of a rectangle, with the beach forming the 4th side. GLORIOUS water for swimming--warm and clear. Had it not been so choppy it would have been perfect.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:57:56 | 15 miles | 15.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/37
Overall: 153/215
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Very nice rolling course out of the camp. I'm not familiar enough with the area to describe it in any detail, but it was nice. I know it had to be re-routed due to construction, so the actual course was 15 miles rather than the advertised 13 miles.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:34 | 03 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/37
Overall: 153/215
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run through the camp. Lots of horses to look at. Lots of horse poop to avoid. Challenging gravel ravine.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Camp St. Croix Croixathlon

2009-06-29 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2249788

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Subject: RE: Camp St. Croix Croixathlon
I think my legs are still sore from that hill up from the river last year.

Glad you enjoyed yourself - they say this is supposed to be fun!

Nice job on the swim, especially (as usual). If you are happy with that pace, I definately would have drowned. I consider my swim in this event last year the toughest I have done due to the chop, and this year sounds plenty worse.

Looking forward to seeing you at HOLT, and it looks like you have another one before then. Good luck!
2009-06-29 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2249892

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Camp St. Croix Croixathlon

Nice job!  That swim sounded really scary - I would have died.  I think the sub-10s are entirely possible.  You were on a trail, which you like, and you were "chasing people." Also, the results do not show an unusual number of fast times (speaking of results, you KILLED the swim).  It's totally likely that you were just having a great run - remember that feeling   Well done.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp St. Croix Croixathlon Rss Feed